• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Just how Powerful is the Placebo Effect

I have a hard time believing that valium's effect is entirely placebo. Seems more likely that they used a dose low enough that it wasn't sufficient by itself to work on the uninformed group, but combined with the placebo effect in the informed group did make a different there. I'd imagine if

^ no it starts at 25 min and twenty seconds into the piece and i think there are like two and a half chapters so its probably twenty thirty minutes long though..

@crank.. its not really all placebo because you actually need the valium and the knowledge of the valium to have the effects.. I bet if you had two people who had never taken valium before and gave one a V and one a sugar pill and told them they were both getting a powerful anti anxiety pill the person with the valium would receive much better results.

The part about the morphine drip and naloxone is really interesting. It's as if medicines have a much more complex method of interacting with our endogenous chemistry than we currently understand...

I think the effect is powerful. (I sold a dummy pill once years ago; the person had the "best trip of his life".....)

Also, we live in an age where we truly believe in the effectiveness of medication, maybe that ties into it? Just look at the thriving homeopathy industry, the stuff they sell is pure placebo with a vague pseudo-scientific rationale behind it. I know people who swear by the stuff; some of them will choose it over conventional medicine.