• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Just got "shatter" dab. Should I freeze it or is there a better way to use it?

PageSide

Greenlighter
Just got "shatter" dab. Should I freeze it or is there a better way to use it?

Anyone have any advice? I've heard everything from freezing shatter to cooking it. I don't want to waste it. I received it in what looks like parchment paper from a dispensary. I would really appreciate some help. At room temperature it seems as sticky as molasses. Thanks!! :)

Real shatter should be stable at room temperature. Consistency shouldn't be a concern though. There's plenty of good oil that's unstable, a lot of it is strain dependent, the individual grower, and how it was processed. Some of the terpiest oil I've had has been snap n pull live resin which makes sense that it's unstable because it's full of terps that haven't been lost in the drying/curing process.

I would not put it in the freezer, you'll add moisture and everytime you pull it out and let it sit it will get messier and more unstable. Freezing is fine for like 30 seconds to a minute to pull it off the parchment but other than that dont do it long term.

If you don't got a rig I'd just throw it on top of a bowl, or cherry a bowl and while it's red hot drop your dab on and inhale. Have fun

If ur talking about handling it id just leave it in a cool room away from heat but i wouldnt freeze it tho.. Unless you got alot and wanna put a little in the freezer you can cause it will be alot easier to handle just chip a dab off opposed to scraping up goo i know how hard that could be.. But if you aint got a rig just put it on top of a bowl or you can hot knife it that also works good just suck the smoke up with a straw or put it under a cup..

Thanks! What's the best way of getting it off of the paper and into the bowl?

Definitely don't freeze it, it can mess up your moisture content. Just leave it on a cold piece of concrete or in the fridge for a minute or two, find a tool that lets you grab little dabs (I use one of those cheap clay tools) and from there just put it on a paper clip and heat with a lighter until it falls into the bowl, or if it's the right consistency you can just roll it into a ball.

my tool: http://postimg.org/image/v7k4a0275/

I like to keep my oil stored in a vacuum sealed bag (in it's container too) in the refrigerator. For the small one gram stash I currently use, I just keep that in a drawer. Oddly enough, my one gram bag (outside the fridge) gets more condensation/moisture than the vacuum seal in a fridge does, so maybe a vacuum seal is worth considering if you have a lot to store.

^totally. I just have a plastic container in the fridge that I keep all my oil in, even the grams I'm working on go in there when I'm not dabbing on them--any time over 80* can cause terpene loss because they're so volatile (and any time out of the fridge can cause condensation). I just got a vac sealer though, I might try that for the bigger slabs, but I've never had a problem with Ziploc bags (but I've also dedicated my meat drawer to oil).

I try to let it warm to room temp before opening/dabbing though, the most condensation happens when the oil is still cold.