• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Just a few thoughts

Pagey

Bluelight Crew
From my novel. Any thoughts or feedback would be much appreciated :)

A familiar, echoing, numbing rush flowed through my limbs as I sat cross-legged on my bed, a pen edged between my lips, staring pensively out of the window into the dense grey sky. I knew this feeling so well - it was one that had kept me awake at night, that had kept me staring at the ceiling become universe. It was a feeling that had given me a reason to live and would give me a reason to die. But its roots were different this time. No recent track marks sullied my skin, no bills had mysteriously gone missing.
I hadn't touched a single drug since my overdose. It had been about a month and things were starting to calm down a bit on my front. It was hard getting used to a sober life again but fuck, it was simpler. No more sneaking around, no more chucking the phone at the wall in a panicked frenzy of annoyance when the guy didn't pick up and the imminent fear of withdrawals loomed down. Once the first couple of weeks and their accompanying duo of projectile vomiting and suicidal ideation had gone by, the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel started to appear. I started speaking to people again. I started going out into the daylight again, not in a lustful rush to obtain synthetic pleasure, but simply just to be out. And recently I'd started writing again as well. My first love. I'd forgotten how nice it was to simply scribble your thoughts down at the end of the day; or the satisfaction you got from creating some god-awful rhyme, but a rhyme nonetheless.
Sure, it was different. There wasn't that immediate smack of orgasmic intensity hitting you unequivocally before you'd even had the time to take the needle out. But there also wasn’t the expectation of your life in return. Writing gave me a satisfaction without any kind of payback expected. It wasn't euphoria; but it didn't land me in the hospital, either.

I would be on the perfect road to recovery were it not for the nagging, pressing, overall just annoying thought of James taking up a constant little corner at the back of my mind. Pathetic as it may sound, I was actually pretty offended that he'd never called or come to see and check up on me after my stay at the hospital. I'd put on quite the independent and nonchalant act, but truth was it had been nice to have someone actually care about what happened to me - and that was with the knowledge of my drug use. When I started using heroin I sort of expected everyone to drop around me. Not drop dead…just, fade away. And they did. Whether it be by my disappearing and selfish hand or by their judgmental incompetence, one by one they left me alone to deal with what they considered to be an overwhelming issue that they wanted no involvement with. It had been nice to have someone who understood and cared regardless. But now that James had just disappeared like everyone else, I felt betrayed and, in a weird way, used. Towards what end I wasn't sure - some kind of self-affirming, grandiose sense of selflessness, maybe. It didn't even matter. Fact was he'd left me alone as well.Except it hurt so much more because he'd actually pretended to give a fuck in the first place.

Wow. While I have never done heroin, I can definitely relate to this in so many gut-wrenching ways. Is this the basis for your novel or just an excerpt in a much bigger plot-line?

I really enjoy the stream of consciousness feel this has to it, though I tend to be a little wordy myself, so maybe I'm biased.

I also think the themes you touch on are really important, especially the part about being abandoned by people who have claimed to care about you. Having dealt with suicidal inclinations for a long time, I definitely understand the helpless feeling that comes with knowing you need help and knowing that no one really wants to strain themselves by being there for you through your life of constant crisis.

Thanks! :)
Yeah this is just a small part of it. The novel is basically a description/chronicling of the lives of two heroin addicts so I felt like there had to be the obligatory 'I'm trying to get clean' chapter! (which this is part of obviously)
I'm glad you liked it. As you said, I do think the part about no one wanting to be bothered by dealing with a drug user is important since most drug users can relate to it, and most non drug-users might realise the unfairness of it. Hopefully anyway.

Out of curiosity, have you read or seen The Basketball Diaries? It's Jim Carroll's story about growing up in New York and it focuses a lot on his addiction to heroin as well. It's an easy read and candidly beautiful.

Also, I think people oftentimes don't want to be bothered with drug-users even if the drug-user doesn't have a problem. I've seen a lot of cases where people will brush off or criticize people who are even responsible drug-users. It's really a shame that some people can't look past that or don't want to, especially in cases where someone might need emotional support.