• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

"Junkies have no friends"

Rio Fantastic

Bluelighter
"Junkies have no friends. You become either another mark, another sucker to be deceived and conned, or another user, who the junkie would be happy to con as well if it weren't for the fact you can't bullshit a bullshitter."

I've heard a variation of this ethos a few times, and was wondering what you guys think of it. Agree? Disagree? Have any personal experience that has made you agree or disagree?: I'd love to hear thoughts on this!

I don't agree. I feel that recreational drug use is like any other experience in life. Here at Bluelight, I know that there is an emphasis on harm reduction. Anybody who has experience with drugs can share their knowledge so that others can use them safely and learn from our mistakes. That is our collective responsibility.

I don't agree. I feel that recreational drug use is like any other experience in life. Here at Bluelight, I know that there is an emphasis on harm reduction. Anybody who has experience with drugs can share their knowledge so that others can use them safely and learn from our mistakes. That is our collective responsibility.

I should have clarified, by junkie I meant someone addicted to something like heroin or meth.

If you mean friends that are users or dealers ?I would have to say extremely rare to have any true friends , fellow users will screw you sooner or later ,dealers are all buisness and ones that use will short you if they need or want to get high and have already used up there profits ,,, non user friends walk away if your on dope ,and can you blame them. I had no user friends when it came to dope ,,,, coke is all together diffrent being its more accepted and not pysically addicting ,,im talking about sniffing coke,,not crack users or shooters,,,,,

I disagree... i think there's a difference between a junkie and an addict. I think you can be an addict and still a loving good person that genuinely cares about others. Not all addicts steal, rob, hook or commit crimes. Being a drug addict isnt an excuse and doesnt give you a free pass to be a scumbag. You can also be a scumbag and not be an addict. The word junkie to me is the addict that will stop at nothing to get what they need no matter the consequence or who it hurts. Make sense? Im an addict but i dont cheat people, steal, hook, or hurt other people. I am still a good friend and still would do anything for the people i love. I am currently on day 5 of methadone and trying to get my life back together. You kinda generalized that all H addicts are scum and thats not true. You can be a good or bad person regardless of an addiction. The addiction is just an excuse.

I disagree... i think there's a difference between a junkie and an addict. I think you can be an addict and still a loving good person that genuinely cares about others. Not all addicts steal, rob, hook or commit crimes. Being a drug addict isnt an excuse and doesnt give you a free pass to be a scumbag. You can also be a scumbag and not be an addict. The word junkie to me is the addict that will stop at nothing to get what they need no matter the consequence or who it hurts. Make sense? Im an addict but i dont cheat people, steal, hook, or hurt other people. I am still a good friend and still would do anything for the people i love. I am currently on day 5 of methadone and trying to get my life back together. You kinda generalized that all H addicts are scum and thats not true. You can be a good or bad person regardless of an addiction. The addiction is just an excuse.

I don't know any addicts that commit crime when they have methadone available. Am I supposed to be impressed that you're on day 5 of methadone? I'm on day 8 cold turkey, buddy.

Trust is still a commodity of value in among the people who bang meth and heroin, in my opinion. It is true that rip-offs are a very frequent occurrence. The problem with ripping off people as a pattern of behavior among the drug using community, though, is that word gets around about that very fast, and soon the modicum of trust you need to rip people off is no longer there and scamming junkies find themselves high & dry. Whereas if you have a reputation of being someone that pays his or her debts & pays for drugs with cash, you'll always have people willing to sell to you or front to you, regardless of what your reputation other than that is.

"Drug friends" are not real friends, though. That much is true. Although once in a great while you'll come across a person in the recreational drug scene that you'll take a personal liking to...this one young woman and I have lately developed a pretty close friendship, and we only know each other because someone gave her my number and told her that I'd know where to get drugs (in her case, heroin). We even go out now and do things that don't even involve drug use. But that's the only thing approaching a friendship I've ever encountered in the drug world in my entire time here. I have about 5 very close friends and I've known them all since I was a very young child, well before my drug use.

Clearly you missed the point. You claim a junkie cant have or be a friend and i disagreed. Settle down there. If you dont want other opinions dont post. What are you even talking about being impressed? Who asked for kudos? Again... i will state "I am an addict but that's not all i am. I am a loving person and a good friend."

You know what, I believe that statement that junkys have no friends.
A sober person, who's never tried ANY drug at all, will NOT be friends with someone who smokes or injects dope.
I don't think the sober person will allow 'a friend' shoot dope right in front of him.

I see it this way, junkys have junky friends. Sober friends have Sober friends.

I know this because I was a former junky (still am if you consider MMT patients junkys who only uses Methadone as Rx'd).
I had amazing sober friends before I started using.
After I started to use, and my sober friends found out that I was using, they all started to slowly fade away.
Now all my friends are dope addicts or MMT patients.

Clearly you missed the point. You claim a junkie cant have or be a friend and i disagreed. Settle down there. If you dont want other opinions dont post. What are you even talking about being impressed? Who asked for kudos? Again... i will state "I am an addict but that's not all i am. I am a loving person and a good friend."

No man, *you* missed the point of the thread. The quote in my OP isn't a quote from me, its a sentiment I've heard a couple of times and I was just asking for opinions and trying to start a discussion.

I agree with this. My gf and I were just talking about a concept like this last night, except it was more along the lines of, "are some addictions worse than others?" like for instance, would you put a heroin addict in the same class as a benzo addict? i mean they're both addictions, however one is a prescribed drug and the other is a street drug(now). it's almost as if some addicts "justify" their addictions based solely on the fact that the substance they are addicted to can be bought at a pharmacy with a prescription. IMO if you have abused a drug to the point where your body has become tolerant to it and you suffer withdrawals without it, you are addict through and through, no matter the substance.

in regards to there being a difference between a junkie and an addict, there is a very stark difference but i believe the addict eventually turns into the junkie if the addict doesn't see another way, almost as if being an addict is the first step to becoming a junkie. IMO addicts still have morals, once you abandon those morals and you live your life for the drug, you're a junkie. and what i mean by living your life for the drug is this......all your money goes to obtaining the drug, you let your addiction come between you and your family and the friends you had prior to becoming addicted, and you have no desire or drive to be drug free.

in regards to the OP, a junkie should never feel like they have any friends because you CANNOT trust another junkie and finding a friend in the sober world is like hitting the lottery. but that doesn't mean he or she should forever feel that way, having friends again is very much contingent upon getting clean.