• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

July Getting/Staying Clean/Sober Thread vs. "Fireworks and Toss your Works"

Congratulations to all of us who are trying to beat this day after day! I'm have gone beyond 2,5 years. My record. It scares me sometimes though.

Much peace to all! :)

Thanks all for the kind words. Just back from a beautiful hike with my wife. It's been a good day.

Thats whats up simco! Really 8/22/16 is the date i checked into detox, 8/21 was the day i took my last drink.

Looking back at this year is amazing at all the stuff I've gone through sober. Its a good feeling for real, and especially for the newcomer.

Awesome! :) the Friday before last a year ago was the first day I didn't take any methadone after 2-3yrs on it, and that has turned out so well (despite the challenges). It feels pretty good looking back, but I frankly prefer avoiding the whole "birthday" thing at meetings.

I don't dig the glorification of abstinence/"clean" time or way most/many people wear their time abstient as a badge of honor - time is time and anyone can get it is they don't engage in drug use, and my recovery is about behavior more than just drug use; I have seen too many people who have years and years of "sobriety" but continue to engage in harmful behavior.

As my recovery is about infinitely more than just not using, I don't really like getting to highlighting how long I've not used. I'd rather just appreciating it with people who understand more what I'm doing, how it's more about renunciation and refraining from engaging in unethical behavior than it is not using drugs for me. Celebrating the time and effort I've put into engaging with ethical behavior and restructured my life through more ethical relationships and behavior, that is what I'm into.

This is just me though, and it doesn't mean I don't enjoy appreciating and celebrating my "clean" time more privately.

11 months is wicked cool though. Can't wait till you post about you first full year thanks to all the crazy effort you have put into you recovery process (good crazy ;)).

Last edited by a moderator:
TPD, what is this Moreno recovery you speak of? Sounds interesting.

That's great CH, congrats. This meas so much for so many of us. <3

After all you have led so many BL fellows to where are are now. I'm right behind you. :)

Last edited:
So some dude outside the pizzeria I went to offered me some rock for a slice of pizza. Then he offered me a beer! I told him no thanks, that I am in recovery. Told him of a place thats serving dinner now for the homeless and he didn't want to hear it.
Felt good to say no.

It feels great indeed, although I must admit that the thinking of it sort of hunts me all day long.

I feel kind of shitty about it now but once a derelict approached me for some cash and I honestly didn't have any and asked if they wanted the better part of a pint of vodka instead and they accepted.

Im doing ok.. really miss someone who looks like they are gone forever. Happy to be over 40 completely clean.

I really wish I had "gotten it" without having to have had to go through all the shit I did, but in the end, I have no regrets because I might have another binge in me, but I sure as hell don't have another detox in me. That fear of detox with seizures, nausea, soul-crushing anxiety, insomnia...no thank you. I hope that picture never becomes less vivid.

Last edited:
I really wish I had "gotten it" without having to have had to go through all the shit I did, but in the end, I have no regrets because I might have another binge in me, but I sure as hell don't have another detox in me. That fear of detox with seizures, nausea, soul-crushing anxiety, insomnia...no thank you. I hope that picture never becomes less vivid.

Well said, aihfl. I have few regrets. But I keep the special hell of my using days and early recovery fresh in my mind.

Half-way through my 2-weeks notice before leaving my abortive attempt at a retail job. Of course they gave me an insanely shitty schedule for my last week. But t-minus 6 days till I'm out of there. :|

Worked my step 3 with my new sponsor yesterday, pretty much made a list of 'what my god is not' and found the annomnyns(sp) of each word of what my god isn't. Afterwords we did the step 3 prayer together, spiritual for me because he believes in Jesus and i don't, and yet we said the prayer together.
(i've already worked my step 3 with my previous sponsor, this is my 2nd time doing it)

So now, on to my step 4, which i've done before. doing it with another guy will be well, different. i truly believe in the 12 steps, and know that they work, so that being said i must work every step to the best of my ability! Victims Do Not Recover!! and today I am not a Victim!!!!