• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Johnny Manziel refuses to enter rehab

aihfl

Bluelight Crew
If Johnny Manziel doesn't receive help, he won't make it to his next birthday, his father told The Dallas Morning News on Friday.
Manziel's father, Paul, told the newspaper that the Cleveland Brownsquarterback has refused to enter area rehab facilities twice in the past week. He said the family tried to get Manziel, 23, to enter a local addiction facility on Saturday, but Manziel refused to stay. Paul Manziel said he tried to have his son admitted to a psychiatric and chemical dependency hospital on Tuesday, but Manziel was allowed to leave even though his father told officers that he believed Manziel was suicidal.
"I truly believe if they can't get him help, he won't live to see his 24th birthday," Paul Manziel told the paper.
Manziel turns 24 in December.
The first attempt to get Manziel to enter rehab, his father told the newspaper, was Saturday afternoon after news surfaced of a police investigation into an alleged incident between Manziel and his ex-girlfriend the night before. According to the police report, Manziel and his ex-girlfriend were at a hotel in downtown Dallas and left together after he struck her. The ex-girlfriend told officers that she and Manziel shouted angrily at each other and that he struck her several more times on the drive to her apartment in Fort Worth, Texas.
ABC affiliate WFAA, citing unnamed sources, reported that Manziel told the ex-girlfriend to "shut up or I'll kill us both" after he forced her into the car. The woman alleged that Manziel was acting "as if he were on some kind of drugs" but maintained he was not intoxicated.
In its initial statement Saturday, Fort Worth police said the woman "advised our officers of concerns that she had regarding the well-being of her ex-boyfriend," prompting police to search for Manziel, including by helicopter. Officers said they later determined Manziel was safe and in no danger. Manziel wasn't charged by the Fort Worth or Dallas police departments, which said Thursday they consider their investigations closed.
Manziel, in an interview with TMZ Sports posted on its website Thursday, said of the allegations that he struck his ex-girlfriend: "It didn't happen." He also said, "I'm completely stable. I'm safe and secure."
Asked about Manziel on Friday, Browns owner Jimmy Haslam told reporters the team had reached out to Manziel but he had not responded.
"We've reached out several times since all this came out last Saturday, just like we would any player," Haslam said. "I think it's enough said on the issue. I think it's a personal issue now. It's not a football issue."
Manziel's agent, Erik Burkhardt, cut ties with Manziel earlier Friday, saying in a statement that "it has become painfully obvious" that Manziel's future "rests solely in his own hands."
"His family and I have gone to great lengths to outline the steps we feel he must take to get his life in order. Accountability is the foundation of any relationship, and without it, the function of my work is counterproductive," Burkhardt said.
The Browns released a statement earlier in the week saying they would address Manziel's status "when permitted by league rules." A source told ESPN's Pat McManamon earlier this week that the Browns plan to release Manziel in March.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...ys-quarterback-refused-enter-rehab-needs-help

Substance abuse is but only a small reason Menziel's career will never reach the heights that his talent allows. When your trademark is flashing a money sign it is pretty clear where your selfish priorities lie.

Professional leagues of all sports are littered with talented athletes who never succeeded on athletic ability alone. Hardwork and a team ethos are better foundations for a professional athlete. It's the difference between going to bed early and training later because that's what your team mates deserve and drinking in bars until you beat your worthless girlfriend because that's what you think you are owed.

Besides he plays for the Browns. Nothing of value has been lost

I don't enjoy seeing anyone suffer from addiction but Manziel rubs me the wrong way. He was a pampered little rich prick who was an incredible talent in college but definetly never saw much potential for him in the NFL . I hope the Cowboys get him they deserve each other!!!!

being a smug punk quarterback , that was suppose to be Cleveland's answer and get the Browns rolling again. WAA, I'm 25?, and have millions of dollars. But he is unable to take a temporary time out and get his shit together. They have to drop his wasted ass. Edit: drop him if he doesn't wise up.

Last edited:
His dad is an asshole for putting his sons personal struggles into the press like that. If the guy wants to stop playing football and party on his made NFL and endorsement money then that is his business. He should lose the girlfriend though she sounds like trouble.

Dude I'd love rehab if I were a rich doofus. A place for me to cool my heels a bit, get maintenance and/or "comfort drugs" & my ass kissed, then go out and hit the streets hard

Never heard of him. What's he addicted to?

Same. I had skimmed too quickly so I didn't realize he was a NFL quarterback until the end of the article. I thought it was just one of those human interest articles where someone is addicted and someone else is trying to save their life. Or they already saved their life or were too late at saving their life.

I immediately think of opiates when I think of addiction, but that's because it has dominated so much of my life. They are a popular culprit. The article makes me think it's more likely some sort of stimulant, but this is just wild speculation. Steroids maybe? Or in addition to something else?

The NFL doesn't drug test that often?

The NFl drug tests often during the season. If he has an addiction its to drinking. Personally I think the kid has a responsibility problem not an addiction. Or maybe he doesn't want to play football but is too scared of his dad family to say it. Frankly who the hell knows. Especially since rehab has become a catch all way for celebrities to clean up PR problems. Ala Tiger Woods.

His dad is an asshole for putting his sons personal struggles into the press like that.

Or maybe he is just a worried parent.

crimsonjunk said:
If the guy wants to stop playing football and party on his made NFL and endorsement money then that is his business.

Just because he's had a NFL career and has a pile of money right now doesn't mean he can't experience the destitution and isolation that so many addicts do. He's being cut by his team and his manager dropped him like a hot potato.

crimsonjunk said:
He should lose the girlfriend though she sounds like trouble.

Really? REALLY? Did I just time warp back to the 1950s when it was the womens' fault that they got the shit beat out of them? Silly me, I thought that notion outdated.

It is her fault if she runs her mouth off, causes a scene and starts throwing punches first.

This isn't the first time these two have been a hot mess. In fact last year his club even publicly stated that he should dump her arse because she was a bad influence. Some couples are just bad news together and the sooner one or both realise the negative effect their relationship creates the better.

It is her fault if she runs her mouth off, causes a scene and starts throwing punches first.

This isn't the first time these two have been a hot mess. In fact last year his club even publicly stated that he should dump her arse because she was a bad influence. Some couples are just bad news together and the sooner one or both realise the negative effect their relationship creates the better.

Even assuming she did throw a punch first (I haven't seen anything to that effect; you're welcome to post a link to a credible news source that makes such an allegation), is it really fair fight between a slight woman and a 6'2" 210 lb. man? Was it ok when Ray Rice knocked the shit out of his girlfriend? It's bad enough that Manziel's gf wouldn't even press charges. Men who hit women (or justifies hitting women), especially when they're several times the woman's size, are bullies and cowards.

I understand how a lot of you may be almost "mad" at this young guy for acting the way he does. But lets think about it, when you give a young kid millions of dollars for playing a game you might start to see that individual veer into the partying lifestyle.

maybe he wasnt ready for fame and money in that regard. Sometimes the brightest candle burns out the fastest.