• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

John Jackson dies from caffeine overdose after eating Hero Instant Energy Mints

This man deserves a Darwin award

Why? Because he failed to read the small print on a pack of fucking mints? Sorry I cant remember the last time I picked up some sweets from the shop and started to check the contents just incase easting one pack amounted to drinking 10 energy drinks? :|

hero-mints.jpg

Look like any other mints to me.

Man youre stupid mendo it says energy and caffeine right on it. I doubt it was next to altoids and mentos and not the 5-hour power and other energy supplements, and it probably was a lot more expensive than normal mints. I never ingested anything, or buy anything for that matter, without reading the label.

The amount that's actually flowing in your bloodstream is probably only a fraction of the amount you consume. In other words, you would probably have to consume several thousand mgs to test for 155mg/liter in your bloodstream....At least, that's how I'm reading it.

Keep in mind that sublingual absorption through a mint may be much more bio-efficient than something like coffee, that plus the fact he had a faulty liver and it's not far fetched at all.

^volume to volume, no way.

The amount that's actually flowing in your bloodstream is probably only a fraction of the amount you consume. In other words, you would probably have to consume several thousand mgs to test for 155mg/liter in your bloodstream....At least, that's how I'm reading it.

Assuming that caffeine mints are similar to caffeine capsules, there is a bioavailability of 90%

http://www.energyfiend.com/caffeine-absorbtion

Hmmm, not sure I quite understand. They're saying 10mgs per liter is considered a caffeine overdose. If the bioavailability of caffeine is 90% and you drank a cup of coffee containing 100mg of caffeine would that mean that you had 90mgs in your bloodstream? Because, if you then divide that 90mgs by the average 5 liters of blood in the adult human body that would be 18mgs per liter, which is almost twice what's considered a caffeine overdose. Something's obviously wrong with this scenario; either the amount per liter that's being considered an overdose is ridiculously low, or even though your body is absorbing 90% of the caffeine, not all of it is in your bloodstream. I guess that makes no sense though, because where else would it be? The circulatory system runs throughout all the tissue in your body....

I guess I always think of blood alcohol levels, .3 is enough to be well intoxicated, but doesn't seem like that much alcohol by volume considering how much you have to drink to achieve a BA level that high...

I have to take a refresher course on drug metabolism here I guess....

or even though your body is absorbing 90% of the caffeine, not all of it is in your bloodstream. I guess that makes no sense though, because where else would it be? The circulatory system runs throughout all the tissue in your body....

You're actually right although it may have 90% BA only a fraction of that is circulating in your plasma. The BA is only relative to the ROA compared to IV which has a BA of 100%, that doesn't mean that 100% of a drug IV'd will be found in plasma

the drug plasma level depend on many variables; Im lazy so copy paste

""For instance, levels may be affected by age, body-weight and size, genetical factors, abnormalities of water and electrolyte balance and complications associated with pathological conditions such as renal and hepatic impairment. Likewise, plasma levels will depend on dosage, time and route of drug administration, the bioavailability of the drug and time of blood sampling. In addition, absorption, distribution, metabolism, excretion and concurrent drug administration may profoundly affect plasma drug concentrations."""

Man youre stupid mendo it says energy and caffeine right on it. I doubt it was next to altoids and mentos and not the 5-hour power and other energy supplements, and it probably was a lot more expensive than normal mints. I never ingested anything, or buy anything for that matter, without reading the label.

I think that regular people are so desensitized to caffeine use that they can't imagine it being potentially lethal.

Yea per volume, but whos drinking a giant 24oz espresso tho. What i meant was a normal sized cup of coffee has more caffeine than a reg espresso.

once overdosed on caffeine pills, not like to the point of serious health complications, but it was a horribly painful and shitty experience, racing heart, ringing headache, stomach clenching, ugh, what a shitty stimulant

i cant imagine how unpleasant it would be to overdose to the point of death

This.

once overdosed on caffeine pills, not like to the point of serious health complications, but it was a horribly painful and shitty experience, racing heart, ringing headache, stomach clenching, ugh, what a shitty stimulant

i cant imagine how unpleasant it would be to overdose to the point of death
I imagine you would have a panic attack, a delirium, heartburn, tachycardia, blurred vision and a really awful headache at the same time.

He apparently took somewhere in the neighborhood of 24g caffeine it turns out.

Brings new meaning to becoming "an hero"

10mg/L? That's more than in one energy drink...
Even 155mg/L isn't that high, I have taken more one time from caffeine pills, mind you it didn't feel good at all.