• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Jeff Mizanskey, Missouri's Only Inmate Sentenced to Death in Prison for Pot

RoomforJello

Bluelighter
Life for possession of a plant, I hope the governor comes to his senses and releases him. Includes video interview with Jeff.

Our print edition this week tells the whole story of Jeff Mizanskey, the only man in Missouri serving a life sentence without parole for marijuana charges.

Twenty years ago this month, Mizanskey was arrested in a sting operation that resulted in him being convicted a few months later of possessing and intending to distribute about five pounds of marijuana.

Our story tells how the sting operation came about, how an over-the-top prosecutor and judge were able to dole out such a harsh sentence, and why Mizanskey believes the governor should grant him clemency - his only option of ever getting out of prison.

We interviewed Mizanskey at the Jefferson City Correctional Center in November. See below for a video excerpt of that interview in which he explains his frustration about being a nonviolent offender who will never getting a chance at parole

Mizanskey hopes that with the changes in marijuana laws around the country, Governor Nixon can be persuaded that his sentence is unjust. His attorney is working on an effort to get people to write letters to Nixon and contact his constituents' office at 573-751-3222.

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2013/12/video_jeff_mizanskey_interview_life_for_pot.php

A longer article going into more detail.
http://www.riverfronttimes.com/2013-12-05/news/jeff-mizanskey-life-in-prison-marijuana/

The guys name is nixon?? There are places in this country where an adult can go in to a shop show id and buy the same plant. This is beyond insane.

Wow.. just wow. 20 years for a plant? That is semi legal now! That judge and prosecutor should be thrown in jail for federal unjustly prosecution. But that will never happen. The people need to be able to speak for that man and get him the help he needs. 20 years for 5 lbs but George Jung (the movie Blow) got 18 months for crossing the border and attempting to distribute **660LBs** of Marijuana. Makes no sence. Our government is corrupt and bullshit. Something should be done.

this is yet another blow to any faith in the legal system being for justice. I mean you have to ask what the necessity is for a system of laws so goddamn Byzantine that even the lawyers don't understand it. If you're reading this and live in MO, please write to your governor on behalf of this man.

I live in MI. I can't do anything from here can I?

I don't even live in the US and am tempted to write a letter just because its such a terrible sentance. I mean life without parole for handling a plant, yet violent offenders have been let out in 15 years. Such a fucked up justice system.

This person looks like a good person, why dont we see if he will let this poor guy go already.

OG_2.jpg

Office of Governor Jay Nixon
P.O. Box 720
Jefferson City, MO 65102
Phone: (573) 751-3222

I think that international support would be a really good thing as well as state side and Missouri suport.

Hmm thanks for the info, I'll see if we can't get something going

Missouri man serving life sentence for marijuana offense has sentence commuted

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. — Governor Jay Nixon commuted the sentence for Missouri’s only man serving life in prison for non-violent marijuana-related offenses.

Jeff Mizanskey, now 62, was arrested during an undercover drug bust in Sedalia in 1993. He was sentenced in 1996 under the state’s Prior and Persistent Drug Offender Law, which is a three-strike system.

FOX 2 Now reports that at the time of Mizanskey’s arrest, police were after a drug dealer who hired two men to smuggled more than 100 pounds of marijuana across state lines. When police followed the smugglers to a hotel where the dealer was, they found Mizanskey, who already had two strikes on his record. The third gave him life without parole.

Approximately 130 Missouri lawmakers signed a letter to Gov. Nixon asking for clemency. It was drafted by Representative Shamed Dogan, who points out that Mizanskey got his sentence under a “prior and persistent offender statute” legislators recently repealed. Dogan added, “We as a body realized that this type of sentence is disproportionate for these types of offenses.”

390,000 citizens signed a Change.Org petition, started by Jeff’s son. Chris Mizanskey said, “Times are changing and things need to change.”

Chris was 14-years-old when his dad went away to prison.

“It breaks my heart every time we go up there to see him. We have to leave and he has to stay,” Chris said. “I can only hope he’ll be able to walk out of there one day, we’ll be able to enjoy our lives together what’s left of his and what’s left of mine.”

Nixon’s commutation means Mizanskey is eligible for parole, effective immediately.

http://fox4kc.com/2015/05/22/missou...-for-marijuana-offense-has-sentence-commuted/

About time...guy should move to Washington or Colorado and light a gigantic joint. I would....

But then again after looking at a life sentence and after 2 decades finally being able to touch freedom, I don't k ow what I'd want to do first, obv see my family, but there are so many small things, going to a movie, or a restaurant, taking a shower without the fear of being stabbed in the butt...

So much time to think about what you want to do, and what you have missed. How do you put a price on all those years...its impossible.

This is great news.

This is what happens when American prisons are privatised. Whacky laws get thrown in just so that prisoners rot and the judges and law makers who are butt buddies with the prison owners make cash.

^ sadly, I think that this is the truth.

20 years of his life gone.
Because he wanted to sell some flowers.
(WITHOUT PAYING TAXES on the sale.)
Sheer insanity.