• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids IV'd dilaudid today/thought I was going to die

CatcherInPopEfield

Greenlighter
20 years opioid experience here; every opiate/opioid under the sun except heroin and opium. So, snorting has been my fav ROA with occasional skin popping or IM'ing, with IM starting to become a preference over snorting. After all my years of experience I finally decide I am going to IV today... and I did.

Mixed 2, 2mg instant release dilaudid tablets with some filtered water, stirred it up, threw a small piece of cotton in there and then sucked the contents out with my syringe. I hit the vein on my first try (and I know the difference between arteries and veins... was in the health field...), pulled back and once that dark blood drew, I pushed down on the plunger.

I felt like I was going to die. My heart was racing like crazy and I couldn't breathe. I thought I might have to go to the hospital. This was not a good feeling at all, there was no "warm rush", it was just this super speedy feeling of my heart going berserk and a few moments where I struggled to catch a breath. Is this normal??? Is that the supposed rush everyone talks about?? Because when I snort, I actually get a warm rush with my face tingling and all that jazz... but that didn't happen when I shot up. As I already said, my heart just raced like mad and I had trouble trying to breathe.

I've had IV given to me in hospital settings many times and noticed I never really got a warm rush then, either, just a nice glow. Anyway, any experienced IV users wanna tell me something?

I can only compare hospital dilaudid (and at a quarter your dose), but even that had dramatic differences, even for the same condition. None ever included anything like a warm rush. Maybe a cold distance, after a long delay. (No, I wouldn't expect any rush in the hospital, but then I'm almost an opiate virgin--y'alls practice shots would knock me over.)

But OK, more relevant: second ER visit, months later, same condition. Even with that slow push, almost immediately all my guts went nuts and the pain actually got much worse. When I could breathe again I hissed at the PA, and he just mumbled something about sphincters opening up (the important one stayed shut, at least). None of them opened up to spew battery acid throughout my chest cavity all the other times. I have no explanation, theory or wild speculation.

Except, maybe, there is something unique to this drug?

Sounds like you did something really wrong... Honestly using as long as you have I'm surprised 4 mg would do anything.

Did you use a filter? Cotton or micron?

It could be likely you ended up getting cotton fever or whatever it is from some bacteria or something getting into your blood and if I'm not mistaken the response is your body fighting it off. Not a nice feeling. Dilaudid is usually a feeling in the muscles I notice being unique to it that you will know is Dilaudid if you experience it.

Sounds like you did something really wrong... Honestly using as long as you have I'm surprised 4 mg would do anything.

Did you use a filter? Cotton or micron?

It could be likely you ended up getting cotton fever or whatever it is from some bacteria or something getting into your blood and if I'm not mistaken the response is your body fighting it off. Not a nice feeling. Dilaudid is usually a feeling in the muscles I notice being unique to it that you will know is Dilaudid if you experience it.

I don't think it's any kind of infection via bacteria/cotton etc. because the heart racing/shortness of breath was very temporary and it was not accompanied by any kind of sweats/fever. Also, my arm is just fine and didn't develop any signs of an infection. 4 mg wouldn't do anything for me via any other route and I usually need a minimum 30mg in 1 go when I choose the snoot... however, sometimes I spin cycle and we all know that lowers tolerance and I've had success with 6mg after a spin cycle when I am IM, so as I was coming off another cycle and was going IV I didn't want to go over 4mg with my lowered tolerance.

As for filter, I used a regular old cotton one, terrible, I know but I didn't have access to micron. I seem to be OK so that's good. I just don't know what if anything did go wrong.

Y'know, what if this was a vagal response* (however that is triggered). That's usually a brief, huge drop in blood pressure, and reduced heart rate, but I can sort of imagine your fast pulse was a rebound, or your perception of your pulse was skewed.

Happened to me once when I had an IV inserted into that vein on the back of your hand, for I have no idea why. Those ports always make me queasy for some reason. Anyway, just after it went in, my vitals all cut in half and I got a cold sweat, felt pretty close to death. Of course, it was over in minutes.

I'm thinking this was your first self-IV, right? Something about the sight of the blood entering the syringe maybe.

*Yes, I know that's technically just fainting, getting the vapors, whatever. I'm not scared of a little IV port, so I'm going to call it vasovagal syncope, thank you.

"old cotton filter" explains everything. Out of my 5 or so years iving it's only happened once. Pretty much the same effects you describe.

Edit: the above post explains it as well. While I can't tell you what it is I think it's likely one of these two possibilities.