• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives IV vs IM ketamine - significant difference?

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
As I understand, IV is preferred to IM, as it reduces chances of a *technical word for blockage*, perhaps a sepsis or something?

Gauging opinions on IV vs IM ketamine, bioavailability to somewhat higher with IV, but only by a few percent.

Are there any other differences between the two, in terms of effect or outcome?

IV is more fiendish, after a couple of shot tolerance builds and you can IV large quantities and feel almost nothing. That doesnt happen with IM (maybe because IM was never moreish to me).
Algo, is possible to overdo IV and go catatonic for 5-10 minutes, trashing about. The same, that never happened with IM.
If you IV too quickly you can have respiratory arrest.
IV is mostly a rush thing with psychedelia the two three times you try it, the trip is too short to integrate anything, you come back with almost no memories.
Just my half cent

Totally different. IV starts out with a rush as if it were "nitrous in a needle" as a friend of mine used to describe it and then drops you directly into the depths of the experience (either sub-hole, hole, or full anaesthesia.) Yes it can be very fiendish. IM comes on much more gently but gets you to the same place without the rush.

I had read about respiratory arrest with ketamine - but assume this was on IV.

Very different in my experience. IV hits harder, faster and shorter. It's also a lot more amnesic, i.e. a Hole is a lot harder to remember. It very potent, so you need like a third of what you would dose IM. But I still much prefer IM. I can retain much more from the experience, and lasts longer, seems to be more immersive and psychedelic vs rushy and anesthetic when dosed IV.

The real drawback of IM is that unless you are using a fresh pharma solution, yeah, you have the risk of an abscess. Always micron-filer the solutions you are injecting, regardless if IV or IM.

IV, fantastic rush but very short acting. I'll go through more ketamine in a session if I combine IM/IV compared to IM due to the shorter duration and rush of IV. It hits a lot stronger but wears off very quick and I will redose sooner due to the pleasure of it.

Prefer IM and do this more. Lasts longer and easier to administer for me. Would only really do IV after an IM dose. IM hits more consistently for me. IV sometimes miss or dose too low.

IV peak to comedown lasts about the duration of an electronic track or two for me but there is time dilation. It hits instant. IM I get about 5 minute comeup then 15-45mins out of a dose/redose depending on how much ketamine is used and how much has already been taken.

Edited: Reworded for clarification.

Last edited:
Your dosages are 4-5x higher with IV than with IM? That seems really unusual, everything I have read from other people says that IV is much more potent per milligram than IM.

Your dosages are 4-5x higher with IV than with IM? That seems really unusual, everything I have read from other people says that IV is much more potent per milligram than IM.
Yeah I don’t think he meant that but this...
Prefer IM personally, it's terrible finding a vein after a few IMs for IV. I end up IV'ing in an hour the same amount I'd use over 4-5 hours easily by IM
Maybe you could make it a bit clear in your post @GearoftheYear as it makes it sound like you IV large amounts in your first sentence.

Actually now I’m not sure what he meant reading over it. 🤔

I'll go through more ketamine in a session if I combine IM/IV compared to IM due to the shorter duration and rush of IV. It hits a lot stronger but wears off very quick and I will redose sooner due to the pleasure of it.

Last edited: