• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc IV use complications

Nblakely90

Greenlighter
Hello,
This is my first post so bare with me it it's not formated correctly. I am a recovering heroin/meth addict, I use to view this site all the time when I was using. I've been clean for about 2 years however I have not been able to ditch the needle. I have been injecting Subutex daily since getting clean, I just can't break away from it. Typically I don't have a whole lot of problems, although my veins suck ass after iv use for so long. I've gotten a little abscess here and there but have taken care of it with antibiotics and am usually fine, other than one trip to the hospital I had to get an abscessed drained, I played stupid like it was a bug bite since it was in an awkward spot on my arm. Well a couple weeks ago I hit in my leg and it burned a little while I was injecting (yeah should of stopped I know I know) well a day or so after the whole area turned red and blotchy. It has been burning on and off like an iron is being held to my leg. It's really only gotten bad this past week or so. I had put triple antibiotic cream on it and it developed a scab. It seemed to hurt more when covered and wet so I've been letting it dry out. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes I feel like my leg is literally on fire and I often have to hold an ice pack to it. I'm not sure how to upload pictures but I would be happy to show someone. It doesn't look anything like an abscess I've had before and I haven't had a fever or anything like that. I'm wondering if it looks like MRSA or something? I currently don't have any antibiotics and I really have been avoiding going into the doctor because I just don't know what I would say. I have visable track marks on my legs and I don't think it would be possible to lie and say it's something else. I also don't want to admit to shooting on my Subutex and get them taken away or have my doctor find out. Has anyone had any similar symptoms? The discoloration and burning really has been questioning what this could be. Any insight would be appreciated.
I think I found how to upload pics. My battery is too dead for flash but hopefully this uploads.

Attachments

• 20200210_011139.jpg
    20200210_011139.jpg
    972.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200210_011151.jpg
    20200210_011151.jpg
    780.7 KB · Views: 14
Please get that checked out, that tissue looks necrotic to me.. This could get really serious. The pain is a big indicator there’s something seriously wrong.

Get your ass in there, go to a different hospital if you have to..

-GC

Thanks for your reply. Ugh this makes me nervous. I am just so embarrassed about what I'm going to say. I really don't want to say I'm injecting my subs but do I say I relapsed instead? It honestly hasn't been hurting much today which is good. I'm really hoping it is healing but it being so long since I've done it worries me. Do you think antibiotics may help at this point if I can get my hands on some?

Dude, you gotta see a doctor.

Seriously man this is how people wind up losing a leg. It's not worth it. I implore you go to hospital and tell the doctors the truth.

I don't know how likely it is for you to lose the subuxone from going to hospital and telling the truth, you'd need to work out your rights and medical practice depending on where you are.

If you really won't tell them though, still go. Maybe say you relapsed on something else, but I implore you to at least get it looked at.

In my experience though, and these rules vary greatly from place to place so this might not be the case for you. But in my experience if you admit to something like this, worst case scenario they just stop your subuxone takeaways and have you take them supervised instead. You still get them though.

But please, I've known people who've died from IV complications. As hard as it may be, it's not worth your life or legs.

Good luck. :(

Thanks for the reply. I am really debating going in. At least into urgent care if anything and see what they say. And you're right I don't think they would necessarily take away my script but probably want me to come in more often. I am going to see how it is tomorrow and go from there, it hasn't been hurting as much today but still does burn a little. I've been keeping an ice pack on it a lot and that's helped but it does concern me a lot. The previous poster said something about necrosis and googling it scared the fuck out of me. My husband is leaving town and I will have to get a sitter for my kids to go in. I wouldn't mind taking them if this wasn't related to IV use. I hate having to feel this way on whether to go in and be judged and disciplined or wait it out and potentially really fuck myself up. I really need to stop injecting but it's such an addiction in itself.
Here's a current picture from today with a little more light. 20200210_154956(1).jpg

Yeah that looks like necrosis to me.

Would it be feasible for you to switch to fully supervised subuxone dosing? If you want to stop IVing it, but just don't feel like you're able too, then switching to supervised dosing so you're not able to inject it might be one option.

My doctor comes in from out of today and is only in the office a few days a week. The real problem is me and my husband both do this and we know we need to stop but feed off of each other obviously. He leaves town tomorrow morning and will be gone until Friday and will be doing this every week, coming home only on the weekends. I think if I can manage to stop while he is gone it will be okay. A lot of times I need his help and usually have to wait until he is home from work so him being out of town should help me quit this cycle. He is wanting to stop also because it's obviously awful for our health. He is worried that we will have to adjust to our dose being a lot lower since we've been used to injecting it rather than taking it sublingually, which could very well be true. I have had a band-aid on for some of the day and will post another pic. Hope I'm not grossing you out. If I go to the doctor I'm going to have to have my mother in law come watch my kids tomorrow and come clean to her about what's going on. She's really understanding and all but this whole thing just makes me nervous. I just want it to get better. Excuse my prickly leg, I've avoided shaving that area for obvious reasons 😂 20200210_174726(1).jpg

GO TO THE GOD DAMN HOSPITAL

Your leg is starting to rot, you are risking both potentially fatal blood poisoning and losing your leg.

I was an IV user for 30 years, listen to me when I tell you that your leg is rotting and you ARE GOING to go SEPTIC. Please PLEASE go to another town, say you relapsed, get treated. Please.

Yea honestly say you had a one off relapse. Don’t tell them you inject your sub, tell them it was dope. You had a week long relapse and of course “as your luck would have it” got an abscess in that time. That’s what I would say.

This shit happens. Coming from me if you go in as honest as you can be you’ll get treated a lot better usually.

If you go to a hospital or urgent care in a different town you may be able to keep your doctor from finding out.

But no matter what please go. This isn’t stuff to play around with. You’ll be a lot more embarrassed losing a leg and walking around with a prosthetic the rest of your life.

-GC

Thanks for all your replies. I understand your worry. I have had it covered with a band-aid and triple antibiotic cream. I honestly think it's improving. It hasn't had the burning like it was and it looks to be healing. I haven't had any symptoms of sepsis. Ive had it twice so I'm familiar with what it feels like. No fever or even felling unwell. At this point I'm going to hold off going in. However if I feel it's not improving or is getting worse I will go in and suck it up.
Here's an updated picture from this morning 20200211_054856(1).jpg