• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

IV Sedation tomorrow at dentist. I didn't tell them I am a daily cannabis user.

TheMagicCoder

Greenlighter
I have to have 4 wisdoms out, and 4 fillings under IV sedation tomorrow. I'm bricking it as it is, but I've just learned that cannabis can cause issues with novocaine. I have no idea if it messes with the IV sedation.

The dentist didn't tell me not to drink, or smoke. He just told me to book appointment and come back for the extraction. It's now 11pm and I have extraction at 2pm tomorrow. I'm f*cked so to speak.

Either way I have to get this done. The teeth are causing problems now. Plus, my mom is sick of me putting off my dental appointment ... it's taken over 2 years. She's dragging me there lol!

Am I at any serious risk if I've drank 5 pints tonight and I smoke weed daily? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Note: If I don't reply within 48 hours it all went pear shaped. I've put it on my postit just to make sure I update this thread.

I had no issues when they took my wisdom teeth out (and I'm a daily smoker), you just can't smoke for a while after because it might suck open the healing wounds.

IV sedation is no joke. This topic is more suited for Other Drugs as cannabis has no recorded direct deaths.

You didn't say how much time you had until going under. If you drink 5 pints and go directly into IV sedation you are putting yourself at risk for OD and death. I'm surprised a doctor didn't mention this to you. If the only drug you have in your system is THC, then you should be fine.

^I don't think he is going to chug the beer immediately before the surgery. The night before shouldn't cause a problem IMO though some lingering respiratory depression is a factor and you should definitely mention whatever drugs you are on/have been on recently, they may need to titrate the dosage somewhat. Before my hand surgery, I had been taking all sorts of bullshit such as n20, GHB, opiates, LSD, weed, I mentioned all of this and the doctor revelled in delighting me with the awesome midazolam and fentanyl I was about to blast off with. I have no idea if they needed to adjust the dosage or not, but it worked! :)

I got my wisdom teeth taken out in the dentist chair for some reason. All four but on three seperate occaisions because repeat torture is my thing. I just got novocaine, and it totally worked, it really didn't feel like some cartel goon was removing my teeth with a bottle opener.

it really didn't feel like some cartel goon was removing my teeth with a bottle opener.
That's probably because you were on midazolam and fentanyl.

The OP is being honest about not being honest with his doctor. That's very different than your story.

I called them this morning and asked them if I can continue with the sedation after a few beers, and the weed issue.

They said nope because of the alcohol. The weed isn't a problem.

Lucky I called because I wasn't even booked in for sedation. What happened was I originally opted for gas and air. I called them last week and changed it to sedation. They admitted that they should have gave me a new appointment to have the assessment when I change to sedation, but they didn't. Explains why I didn't get any of the forms.

Another week to wait :(

The sedation is great fun. They gave me a valium and put me under. Woke up hours later in my bed, thinking I had missed my surgery completely 8)

That's probably because you were on midazolam and fentanyl.

The OP is being honest about not being honest with his doctor. That's very different than your story.

Sorry, the midazolam/fentanyl was not given during wisdom teeth removal, it was when I had surgery on my hand.

I had a local during wisdom tooth extraction, was just sharing an anecdote :\

I called them this morning and asked them if I can continue with the sedation after a few beers, and the weed issue.

They said nope because of the alcohol. The weed isn't a problem.

Lucky I called because I wasn't even booked in for sedation. What happened was I originally opted for gas and air. I called them last week and changed it to sedation. They admitted that they should have gave me a new appointment to have the assessment when I change to sedation, but they didn't. Explains why I didn't get any of the forms.

Another week to wait :(
I'm so glad you did this. You can see that even doctors make mistakes, so it's best that you came forward and forced them to fix the issue. Now you get to have a safe surgery and the doctor doesn't get hit with a law suit and a dead patient on his hands.

The only thing left to worry about now has been covered by Cream Gravy already; don't smoke while your mouth is healing so you don't get dry socket.

Enjoy the sedation you lucky duck ;)

from my experience, the worst thing about dentists has been when they administer EPI or Ephedrine, legit made me feel like i was kicked in the chest by a horse last time was terrible but they give it to enhance the pain relieving properties of whichever caine they adminster (they are usually used in conjunction) but ill definitely be telling them NO EPI next time .

The Dentist asks that you abstain from using THC and CBD and all cannabis products for at least 8-12 hours before a visit, they also say do not smoke after etc (this includes vaping) because it will potentially cause dry socket and do more damage and lessen the recovery speed