• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction IV Risks

LS2011

Greenlighter
I posted recently but my question was misunderstood so I'm going to rephrase it.

Why is there danger of losing an arm through IV-ing, but one can stick their finger with a sewing needle or cut their hand with glass, and be okay as long as they had a tetanus shot? What makes the bad IV shot so much worse? Thanks.

Because your veins are like highways going to every point around the body in combination with arteries. Harming your veins, arteries or nerves are serious issues. Unlike cutting your finger, introducing foreign, potentially harmful/ infectious, substances directly into your blood stream doesn't stay as a local problem, it reaches everywhere in your body. You also skip many systems that protects the body against viruses, harmful bacteria by injecting. Even if the substance is clean, the substance itself can be problematic or the process used to prepare it could make it more toxic/ irritating.
I think that Krokodil is a good example of what some substances are capable of doing to the body.
Harming an important nerve during injection could cause a person to lose feeling of that extremity or much worse. Hitting an artery instead of a vein by mistake can be a fatal mistake especially if it's the femoral or neck artery. People loose fingers or arms because of shooting cocaine in an artery instead of a vein.
So, the IV route is very risky and if the user doesn't know what they are doing/ isn't careful about sanitation or the dosage/ don't take it seriously, it will definitely cause problems even loss of limbs or fatality. When used correctly and smartly (some users are able to do it once in a while, without getting addicted), it's the most efficient and nearly the fastest route. It's very hard to go back to other routes of administration once you experience intravenous drug consumption.

But how is cutting your hand, arm or foot not reaching your bloodstream?