• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants IV meth rush and abilify injection (an antipsychotic)

MadJack

Greenlighter
The first time I slammed meth (only time I did it while not being on an antipsychotic) was 100mg and MY GOD. The rush was insane + insanely long. Now, with monthly abilify injection I litteraly slammed 400mg and didn't feel nothing overwhelming. With no tolerance!

That's strange because a week ago I banged 250mg of good coke and had an excellent rush. Do someone have a clue about this situation? Cocaine hits somewhat different dopamine receptors?

Neither cocaine nor methamphetamine hit dopamine receptors, but they do work on different sites of the dopamine transporter. Cocaine inhibits reuptake (keeps it in the synapse) and amphetamine phosphorylates through the uptake pump and releases (only in large doses does amp inhibit reuptake, and I doubt by binding squarely as cocaine does, but by filling up the channels whereby dopamine is released by it) in which case, cocaine and amphetamine are mutually exclusive to inhabiting any one transporter.

Are you given a prescribed injection of aripirazole? I've never felt anything from it on my oral dose. Then again never banged meth or coke while on it (which I am well acquainted with before getting on, mainlining coke and meth, that is)

Neither cocaine nor methamphetamine hit dopamine receptors, but they do work on different sites of the dopamine transporter. Cocaine inhibits reuptake (keeps it in the synapse) and amphetamine phosphorylates through the uptake pump and releases (only in large doses does amp inhibit reuptake, and I doubt by binding squarely as cocaine does, but by filling up the channels whereby dopamine is released by it) in which case, cocaine and amphetamine are mutually exclusive to inhabiting any one transporter.

Are you given a prescribed injection of aripirazole? I've never felt anything from it on my oral dose. Then again never banged meth or coke while on it (which I am well acquainted with before getting on, mainlining coke and meth, that is)
Yes it's prescribed. When I first slammed meth I was on oral risperdal but it was at night so it was pretty much out of my system. The injections are hell because it releases a constant amount throughout the day. I'm sure that I wouldn't have this problem if I took it orally. The funny thing is that I was the one asking to change medication because I thought abilify was the less incompatible AP with stimulants. Fml

Monoamine releasers (like amphetamines) seem to be more impacted by antipsychotics than reuptake inhibitors (like cocaine). Part of it is that antipsychotics like aripiprazole also bind to the transporter (though at low affinity) so this could inhibit release (whereas the impact would be less for reuptake inhibitors and is more of a matter of pure competition as opposed to competing mechanisms). There may also be not yet elucidated mechanisms behind the interaction, like the role of trace amine associated receptors (TAAR).

It may also have something to do with abilify's antiserotonergic properties. Perhaps the meth high/rush is more serotonin release dependent (I know for certain the euphoria is heavily serotonin mediated). I know DA/NE reuptake inhibitors have plenty of a rush regardless of their affinity for their SERT (but like DA/NE only releasers, are less euphoric). This is less likely.

I just had my final abilify injection thankfully. I've eaten 1 gram of quality meth at a time and barely got any pleasure, moderate libido increase, but appetite and wakefullness were powerful. Abilify largely blocks drugs from being pleasurable.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aripiprazole, "Aripiprazole may be counter-therapeutic as treatment for methamphetamine dependency because it increased methamphetamine's stimulant and euphoric effects, and increased the baseline level of desire for methamphetamine"

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/248385.php#news cites https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18664303 in stating, "Aripiprazole may be counter-productive as a treatment for methamphetamine addiction. It was found to increase methamphetamine's stimulant and euphoric effects. Aripiprazole also appeared to increase the desire for the drug."

It appears in some studies so somehow actually increase euphoric effects. I cited the above when I asked to be taken off abilify claiming it may endanger my sobriety from methamphetamine.

Last edited:
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aripiprazole, "Aripiprazole may be counter-therapeutic as treatment for methamphetamine dependency because it increased methamphetamine's stimulant and euphoric effects, and increased the baseline level of desire for methamphetamine"

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/248385.php#news cites https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18664303 in stating, "Aripiprazole may be counter-productive as a treatment for methamphetamine addiction. It was found to increase methamphetamine's stimulant and euphoric effects. Aripiprazole also appeared to increase the desire for the drug."

It appears in some studies so somehow actually increase euphoric effects. I cited the above when I asked to be taken off abilify claiming it may endanger my sobriety from methamphetamine.
That's a smart move. Fuck that shit!! But I still have 6 months at least of treatment. I should never have accepted the injection.

Not familiar with that particular antipsychotic, but the ones I have tried certainly do dull that rush

T

There are however several studies that show the opposite - and Abilify reducing the effects. Each of the studies calls for further research using differential dosages (of both meth and abilify). These lab studies use extremely low doses of meth.

I found 20 mg Abilify pills daily totally killed the euphoria of IV meth while still allowing some of its stimulant and sexual arousal effects - basically it left me feeling awake and normal but horny.

To be honest I found this to be a positive effect of Abilify as it quickly discouraged me from shooting meth. Nothing more annoying than putting $300 up your arm over 6 hours and getting nothing for it. It took wasting about a grand in a week to properly wake me up to the pointlessness of shooting meth while being medicated with Abilify. Still hard to stop though because it was possible to get what i call a “hot flush rush” and a cough.

"basically it left me feeling awake and normal but horny "

Same experience.

I'm like you too guys. But I don't know if a big fat shot will resolve the problem...? Lol when I did shoot .4 in one go I had somewhat of a mellow rush and euphoria... Is it dangerous to go above .4? I don't know. I'll try to smoke it instead and if it's lame too I'll stop.

I'm like you too guys. But I don't know if a big fat shot will resolve the problem...? Lol when I did shoot .4 in one go I had somewhat of a mellow rush and euphoria... Is it dangerous to go above .4? I don't know. I'll try to smoke it instead and if it's lame too I'll stop.
.4 or more is manageable with high tolerance but it is hard to know what kind of damage big hits do “behind” the Abilify. You may still be experiencing neurotoxicity even without really feeling the meth.

Before i quit i did a .5 and felt fuck all so did the other .5 an hour later and felt a rush. Bloody lot of meth for negligible effect - though i remained awake for 2 days.

Thank you very much for your insight. It seems that mainlining meth is done for me. You're right about the damage that taking such quantities does behind the curtains to the brain. I wonder what it's doing, really..

Thank you very much for your insight. It seems that mainlining meth is done for me. You're right about the damage that taking such quantities does behind the curtains to the brain. I wonder what it's doing, really..

I guess it depends on the condition that requires you to take Abilify in the first place and whether you prioritise wellness in that condition over getting fucked up on meth. For me it seems cyclical. I’m committed to my psychiatrists’ s advice and guidance for a few years at a time and then I just say “fuck it” for a couple of months of off-the-rails stim abuse and other manic activity. Then I rotate back to another few good years of being well.

I'm obligated by the law to take it lol If I wasn't I would quit. Not just to get stimulants rushes but also to see if I can live without them. Since my psychosis I'm on them.

I'm obligated by the law to take it lol If I wasn't I would quit. Not just to get stimulants rushes but also to see if I can live without them. Since my psychosis I'm on them.
Hang in there. I have found anti-psychotics useful to get my life back on the rails from time to time. I’m not psychotic but they also seem to work to manage my bipolar. My psychiatrist reckons people should spend about 3 years on them and then taper off slowly to see how they cope without them.

Thank you. I finally decided that I'm going to replace the abilify by another white powder. At least I'll try. But I don't know what powder yet and I don't know either if I can open the bottle. It's a nurse who does the injection. I don't think that they'll ever suspect someone to do that.

Edit: I thought the abilify was liquid but it's a powder (much easier for me to find a good replacement).

Last edited:
Take care and remember the half life of Abilify is 72 hours - so it will be around 2 weeks before its out of your system.

For what its worth, when i stopped taking Abilify abruptly the side effects were extremely horrible. Tapering is the ideal way to get off it.

Take care and remember the half life of Abilify is 72 hours - so it will be around 2 weeks before its out of your system.

For what its worth, when i stopped taking Abilify abruptly the side effects were extremely horrible. Tapering is the ideal way to get off it.
The half life of my antipsychotic is 19 hours so how many weeks will it take to leave my body?