• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin IV Into Foot

Cannonfairy

Greenlighter
I am planning on shooting heroin into my foot as opposed to my arm to avoid track marks. Does anyone have any advice for this?

You're still going to get track marks. They just aren't going to be ones most people are going to notice. I hope you realize that.

Please don't use your feet though. It'll take the longest of any injection site to heal. As well, those veins roll in many people (I have only heard of one person, who is now deceased, who has told me that their foot veins worked well and didn't roll). Finally, the feet area is often dirtier than the rest of the body as it's coming into contact with the ground or is closest to the ground.

Make sure you sanitize area with alcohol, feet are far more likely to pick up nasty bacteria. Also make sure what you're injecting into is a vein and not an artery......you can spot arteries by the color of the blood coming back ( usually with more pressure than a vein ) as brighter and more frothy.

Make sure you sanitize area with alcohol, feet are far more likely to pick up nasty bacteria. Also make sure what you're injecting into is a vein and not an artery......you can spot arteries by the color of the blood coming back ( usually with more pressure than a vein ) as brighter and more frothy.

^ good advice

Yeah, if you can avoid shooting into your foot that would be good...those veins roll a lot so you're likely to miss, and as CH & SteeleyJ pointed out, they're not usually the cleanest part of the body and you've gotta be particularly careful with arteries. Sure you can't inject anywhere else instead? Arm track marks are pretty easily concealable with make-up etc.

Yeah, if you can avoid shooting into your foot that would be good...those veins roll a lot so you're likely to miss, and as CH & SteeleyJ pointed out, they're not usually the cleanest part of the body and you've gotta be particularly careful with arteries. Sure you can't inject anywhere else instead? Arm track marks are pretty easily concealable with make-up etc.

Yeah, I use brand new 31g, 1cc, short tips and the tracks are hard to see on my arms. I then use triple antibiotic ointment on my tracks to help them heal quickly.

There are some surface veins in my legs I would use before ever considering doing my feet. Just my 2 cents.

I really don't get why a lot of folks are so against shooting in your feet. I use my feet quite often, and for the same reason, to hide the tracks. I also have zero hittable veins in my forearms so I'm pretty much restricted to my feet and my hands, two places everyone is very quick to tell you is a big no-no. Yes, alot of veins on the foot roll, but with a little practice and always making sure to register it's no problem. I've found the cleanest and easiest way to go about it is to shoot after getting out of a nice hot shower, for two reasons. It ensures the utmost in cleanliness and makes the veins much easier to see. I have a few veins up near my ankle that are quite rigid and never roll. Just don't try to hit any veins that run somewhat horizontally or that aren't blatantly blue, as those are either close to valves or an artery. I made the mistake of hitting close to a valve once and i have a nice big lump that will probably never go away. Just aim for a vein that's nice and blue and make sure you register and it's all good.

I really don't get why a lot of folks are so against shooting in your feet. I use my feet quite often, and for the same reason, to hide the tracks. I also have zero hittable veins in my forearms so I'm pretty much restricted to my feet and my hands, two places everyone is very quick to tell you is a big no-no. Yes, alot of veins on the foot roll, but with a little practice and always making sure to register it's no problem. I've found the cleanest and easiest way to go about it is to shoot after getting out of a nice hot shower, for two reasons. It ensures the utmost in cleanliness and makes the veins much easier to see. I have a few veins up near my ankle that are quite rigid and never roll. Just don't try to hit any veins that run somewhat horizontally or that aren't blatantly blue, as those are either close to valves or an artery. I made the mistake of hitting close to a valve once and i have a nice big lump that will probably never go away. Just aim for a vein that's nice and blue and make sure you register and it's all good.

Thanks for sharing your experience, I'm sure it'll go to help those who are going to try doing this. :)

^ thanks Cappy :). I totally understand where you guys are coming from, trying to urge folks away from these "problem areas". God knows back before I found this wonderful site i certainly did a number on my hands and feet trying to dial in my IV technique, especially since i mostly use alone and had to figure it all out myself. But now after a little practice it's a breeze, and I've never had any problems with infections or hitting arteries or anything. Thanks to you for your input and experience as well, and long live collective knowledge!!

How about in the hands? Or anything other then the arms really.

The hands have tons of veins in them; I would only use a 31G needle for them though as they are smaller than arm veins.

Be careful to not hit near a valve as well, which is something majorigpa mentioned too.

They are really close to the surface of the skin too, so insert only the bevel and then check to see if you're in. For me, I even have arm veins that are like that, where I get the bevel in and I pull back and I'm already registering.

How about in the hands? Or anything other then the arms really.

I use my hands almost exclusively, and they carry a lot of the same risks as the feet. The veins tend to roll, and since the surface area of your hands is a lot smaller there are more valves in closer proximity. That's the major thing to be wary of. The upside is you're not likely to find an artery in your hands, and they're a lot easier to clean before using. In my hands most of the valves are closer to my knuckles, as are the veins that tend to roll, and the firmer, straighter veins are closer to my wrists. Another upside is that the hands are a lot easier to maneuver and since you can get up nice and close to them you can manage a lot more accuracy, which makes the rollers easier to manage. Just tie off strong to get the veins bulging nicely, which also helps minimize the rolling, and aim for a vein that's as parallel to your wrist as possible, away from any valves. Again, registering is key. It should be easy enough to tell when you're in though. If it burns, at all, just stop shooting immediately. You're not in the vein. And when you miss in your hand it'll swell up like crazy and be even more noticeable to anyone you're trying to hide your dirty deed from. I like to shoot in my hands because I have a ton of veins all around, including the back and sides of my wrist, you can get up in there nice and close, they're not as tender as the forearms, and they don't bruise as easily. After a little practice you'll learn to manage any rollers and even become ace at using your left (or weaker) hand. I rotate constantly between right and left hands and feet and have never had any major problems in 3+ years of intravenous use. The main point: register, register, register, and always aim for a nice blue vein. I tie off, wait for them to bulge, insert rig, register, and then slowly ease off on the tie as i inject. Once I've injected fully, i release the tie all the way before pulling the needle out. Another big thing to watch for when registering is to do so slowly. You don't want the vacuum created by a missed vein to suck the walls of the vein together, and the same goes for pulling the needle out after injection. Pull out slowly, with the tie all the way off. You don't want to do it quickly and have the walls of the vein stick together, which is more likely in the small veins of the hand. I use a 27 gauge and it's always worked perfectly for me, but Captain Heroin is right about the 31 if you can. I mostly have to use a 27 because i only get tar which is a lot thicker.

Last edited:
I have seen someone use a 26G luer lock needle+syringe on their hand vein before, so I believe you when you say you use a 27. It's definitely doable. I just couldn't ever see myself doing that.

I don't like using my hand veins because I have arm veins that are really usable for me, but I have used hand veins in the past for sure. If you're going to use a hand vein, let the hand rest after your shot for a good half hour to hour so that the site can close up naturally. Otherwise moving your hand around for whatever could cause the wound to not close as quickly.

The exchange I go to (downtown LA) hands out 28 and 29 gauge too.

^ I'm in LA too, Captain. In the past when i've tried to use anything smaller than 27's they've gotten clogged really easily. What's your secret? I'd like to use smaller if i could but this tar is just so damn thick...

^ I'm in LA too, Captain. In the past when i've tried to use anything smaller than 27's they've gotten clogged really easily. What's your secret? I'd like to use smaller if i could but this tar is just so damn thick...

Using a micron filter will enable you to use any gauge you want, granted you filter properly.

How are you filtering your product?

I don't use heroin anymore but am familiar with how it's broken down and filtered. I'm on Suboxone still.

How are you filtering your product?

I let the tar dissolve completely, 50 units of water to .25 of product, add a minuscule amount of heat to release the cut, which is usually black and flaky, and then use the good old cotton ball. Micron filter seems like the obvious remedy though. I can't afford to use them every time, but i've heard that some exchanges carry them. I should probably just do a little research and find one...

I let the tar dissolve completely, 50 units of water to .25 of product, add a minuscule amount of heat to release the cut, which is usually black and flaky, and then use the good old cotton ball. Micron filter seems like the obvious remedy though. I can't afford to use them every time, but i've heard that some exchanges carry them. I should probably just do a little research and find one...

I just take 40 to 50 units of water (I would probably only need 0.05g of product, so using 5 times as much in the same volume might have something to do with it) and just push the water over the tar and then draw it up, until the tar dissolves. It takes a few minutes but I never heat it. I know many people do that to encourage it to dissolve but I don't think it's necessary at all.

When it's fully dissolved, I take a spare insulin syringe, and shove cotton in the barrel, then squirt the solution into the spare insulin syringe with cotton in the barrel. Then I push it through that, which is really good filtration compared to just using a loose piece of cotton over the bevel of a needle.

Afterwards I would micron filter it, but if you don't have one, I still think it should go through a 29 gauge as long as you filter it like I mentioned above.

I have come across several different kinds of tar, including the powdery kind (flakes apart really easily, gray/black powder), the very gooey tar kind, etc. but I still process it the same way and it'll always pass through a fine gauge insulin syringe.

One time I almost overdosed, because I had micron filtered the tar (this was the gunpowder stuff, the most potent I've ever come across out here), my friend thought it was weak so I tried out a generous shot, and I dissolved it in about 0.9 mL and I used a 3cc luer lock + 32G needle tip. It took a while to plunge the whole shot but I was so high that I vomited at least two dozen times in twelve hours from that one shot alone. I had naloxone on hand but I didn't feel the need to use it, and had people around me so if I lost consciousness they could administer it to me.

ahhh some very illuminating points you've made here. I primarily get the super sticky-icky tar and i never add heat to it until it's fully dissolved, and then only do so because the cut is often what clogs up my needle. a little heat disperses the cut which makes it easier to draw through the cotton. but using the method you've described pushing the solution THROUGH the cotton in a different barrel might eliminate that need to heat and make for a cleaner end product. definitely going to give that a try. thanks for the wisdom Cap.

ahhh some very illuminating points you've made here. I primarily get the super sticky-icky tar and i never add heat to it until it's fully dissolved, and then only do so because the cut is often what clogs up my needle. a little heat disperses the cut which makes it easier to draw through the cotton. but using the method you've described pushing the solution THROUGH the cotton in a different barrel might eliminate that need to heat and make for a cleaner end product. definitely going to give that a try. thanks for the wisdom Cap.

Of course, any time.

I'm interested to hear how it works out for you, so keep us posted.