• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin IV Heroin - Histamine Reaction - Help!

marienbad

Bluelighter
The following was dictated to me by a friend (seriously, not lying, I am concerned):

Regular IV BT Heroin user. Lately every time I shoot I experience an extreme histamine reaction where there is a burning, EXTREMELY PAINFUL itching, tingling sensation in my head, hands, feet and chest. I used to get this reaction whenever I would do too much, but now it happens every time I use. I used to get a rush, but the rush has recently faded away to where I don't get it at all and only get the histamine reaction. In fact, either I don't feel anything, nothing phases me, or there's the histemic reaction. I do get high afterwards, just to clarify, just no rush.
Obviously this is a sign that I'm doing too much, and I started cutting down yesterday, but I would like to know what anyone would think this reaction is, or if they've experienced it as well. Can someone help me figure out what's going on with me? Is is possible to get a rush again?

This is counter-intuitive to what the drug is supposed to be doing, instead of experiencing an euphoric rush and then a high I experience a burning itching pain that spreads throughout my body for 30 seconds and is followed by a high. And before people ask, these are NOT misses, they are successful shots.

Last edited:
Normally morphine and heroin should cause a histamine release, but BTH in particular has all sort of other plant derived shit in it that your body reacts poorly to when you IV it.

You have to find better heroin or make an effort to clean it up and get the alkaloids out of the plant latex. In the interim you can take an antihistamine before you dose, or try smoking the BTH instead of injecting it.

I've had this happen every now and again. Several things have caused this for me. One is not letting the solution sufficiently cool before iv. Also ive found certain batches just do this to me so maybe its something in the cut. Make sure to use a fresh rig or at least thoroughly clean what ur using in between bags so if it is just the batch it wont carry over via a lil left over blood in the rig. Maybe its just the stuff ur getting recently. Like the other guy said take a benadryl before u slam not only will it help with your reaction but it also potentiates opiates so it'll help with ur lack of a good rush problem too. WIN WIN!
Deuces

Bumping this thread cuz although there are many on the topic, I don't see too many recent replies with any alternate responses. I've been an IV heroin user for 14 years, & about 3 years ago, after a period of abstinence, I began shooting really good quality BTH (that seems oxymoronic but true.) For the first few months (3-4 shots/0.5-1 g daily), I got a great rush & though it wiped out many veins, no issues. Then I started having histamine reactions rather frequently, sometimes localized to the injection site/limb, but often spreading to my torso, & eliminating the rush. I assumed this was from adulterants/other alkaloids.

I moved back to the EC & started using powder. Maybe not right away, but certainly the last year or two of my use, I experienced this histamine reaction nearly every time I injected. To the point where I knew to strip off my clothes immediately and prepare for the itch. This also coincided with the complete elimination of a euphoric rush, & rapid escalation of tolerance/amount required to use.

I've experienced a histamine reaction from too much codeine, & while similar was not exactly the same. As I mentioned, I originally assumed this was a reaction to something in my dope, or possibly rigs or cottons (which I did reuse at times, but I experienced this when using sterile materials as well. I also suspected it may be from damage to my veins allowing some of the shot to leak out, though in my experience that causes a more localized reaction. Another option may be the reaction is dose-dependent? The fact that this never occurred for me for so many years & then began happening more & more reliably in recent years has had me wondering.

I'm curious if anyone has any updated experience, educated guesses or has actually identified specific cuts that may contribute to this OR if this has anything to do with tolerance/length of time using, which I think is less likely but perhaps still plausible. Thanks for reading & apologies in advance - I know how annoying it is to have 1000 threads with the same question.

Last edited:
I get that reaction starting with 15 mg iv morphine and 30 mg iv is where it gets overwhelming at least when I have a lower-mid end tolerance.