• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

It's high time to end drug culture

^ I remember a popular movie where they shoot heroin and their pupils dilate. LOL.

I really wonder why there is no research done on drug use when they have such huge budgets. Maybe misinformation is the reason?

^ Hollywood has so much politics involved in it from behind the scenes, especially now that it is owned by the same parent companies which run the news media, music industry, education system, and the military-industrial complex. Very little in hollywood strikes me as accidental anymore.

The most real portayals of drug use I see tend to be in foreign films.

^ I remember a popular movie where they shoot heroin and their pupils dilate. LOL.

No, you remember a popular movie in which people do drugs. Drugs as a symbol, just as the red dress was a symbol. It is not heroin & in the book this is even more clear.

OT: What a load of opinionated drivel.

I still challenge anybody (including the author) to find me a movie that glorifies heroin use. She is railing against a thing that doesn't exist.

It possibly exists, but I haven't seen it. Point is, even if it exists, it is the exception, not the rule.

Every portrayal of heroin use I've seen is wedded to negative outcomes--death, addiction, insanity, etc. If anything, Hollywood errs on the side of demonization, and it needs to brighten its portrayal of this drug.

OP are you suggesting we give up our right to free speech because parents cannot be parents and make sure their kids don't watch things that are not apropiatte for them?

I don't think media made me do drugs. I did drugs because I wasn't happy in my life. It was an escape at first. I found out I really liked doing it and kept doing it.

Blaming media is total fucking bullshit. That being said if a movie is rated R than people under a certain age should not be watching it.

Fighting drugs a complex issue

AS a 33-year career police officer, I am neither a promoter of illicit drug use nor an apologist for illicit drug users.

The fervent nature of Miranda Devine’s article (It’s high time to end drug culture, Daily Telegraph, February 8 2014), however, prompted me to comment.

The issue of illicit drugs is difficult and complex but it really is high time we started discussing the question of illicit drugs unemotionally and realistically, and that informed people began really trying to make a difference.

Ms Devine is right to say that Hollywood glamorises illicit drugs and shouldn’t, but, equally, wider society demonises and criminalises illicit drug users when the very vast majority of such users are simply victims.

Without in any way wishing to minimise the illicit drug use problem, my experience tells me that Ms Devine is on shaky ground when claiming that the rises and falls in drug use in Australia are due to cycles of tough and laissez faire governments.

READ MIRANDA DEVINE’S ORIGINAL ARTICLE

Firstly, government drug policy behind the scenes is much more complicated than the slogans and political posturing might suggest.

Secondly, it is important that we focus on the harm from drugs rather than on estimates of drug use. For most parents and most members of the community, deaths, disease and crime are more important than the number of people estimated to be using drugs. Although there is a close connection between the consumption of legal drugs by individuals or communities and the risk of harm, the connection between the consumption of illegal drugs by individuals or communities and the risk of harm is not as clear.

Let’s just think about our use of cars in Australia and deaths from road crashes. Compared to 30 or 40 years ago, these days more Australians own cars, we travel longer distances each year in our cars and there are many more of us. Yet road crash deaths are a small fraction of deaths in the 1970s thanks to things like seat belts, safer vehicles and random breath tests.

I have spent decades of my life in law enforcement and was the Commissioner of the Australian Federal Police for a period of seven years, including during then PM Howard’s Tough on Drugs period. As part of my responsibilities I was accountable for working closely with the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet in implementing many aspects of the policy.

As I have said publicly before, Australian police are now better trained, generally better equipped and resourced and more operationally effective than at any time in our history. But, on any objective assessment policing of the illicit drug market has had only marginal impact on the profitability of the drug trade or the availability of illicit drugs.

I am not alone in this view. Many serving and retired senior police have the same opinion.

Where does this leave us? I agree with the commentators who argue that the health, social and economic costs of alcohol consumption in Australia are too high. Like most Australians I have been angered and sickened by the continuing spate of alcohol- related violence and cowardly and unprovoked conduct that has underpinned much of it. I am ashamed and angry that so many Aboriginal Australians still die far too young from the effects of alcohol and tobacco and from glue and petrol sniffing. These are serious problems and much more that needs to be done.

But I also believe we must do better with illicit drugs in Australia. This will require a calm, sensible and respectful discussion based on real evidence and a focus on reducing the harm from illicit drugs. Reducing the consumption of drugs is one way of reducing the harm from drugs but the HIV epidemic showed us that being smart about drugs is much more effective than simply being tough.

Mick Palmer is a Former Commissioner of Australian Federal Police.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...-a-complex-issue/story-fni0cwl5-1226826410726

The media only glamorizes what we want to see glamorized.

I would like to see some of these movies glamorizing drug use. Most of the drug movies are too negative and can kill my buzz. I mean sure all the Cheech and Chong, and How High, Half Baked, pothead movies portray pot as relatively harmless but that's because it is.

I still challenge anybody (including the author) to find me a movie that glorifies heroin use. She is railing against a thing that doesn't exist.

It possibly exists, but I haven't seen it. Point is, even if it exists, it is the exception, not the rule.

Every portrayal of heroin use I've seen is wedded to negative outcomes--death, addiction, insanity, etc. If anything, Hollywood errs on the side of demonization, and it needs to brighten its portrayal of this drug.

This is true IMO. If anything, most movies overshoot the mark trying to portray heroin negatively. I'm a bit of a connoisseur of heroin movies, and there's only a few I can think of that get it right...Trainspotting is the most famous one, and I think it's fairly true to life, but maybe even a little overdone in that case.

006CND_Abbie_Cornish_086.jpg

My question was still never answered.:(

I wouldn't mind trying to help.

It would be great to reduce the harm to society.

I don't think users and distrubutors are neccesarilly the problem.

I see the whole thing as a health and socio-economic problem.

Poledriver I suggest that you inform people that you a member of lawyer enforcement and declare you inentions if you would like people to communicate with you on this site. I wish to see no people come to harm. I hope your intentions are to only stop people from harming themseleves and one another.

My main belief in life is to try to prevent human suffering and harm. Have a nice day and may the Lord be with you.
:)

Last edited:
My question was still never answered.:(

I wouldn't mind trying to help.

It would be great to reduce the harm to society.

I don't think users and distrubutors are neccesarilly the problem.

I see the whole thing as a health and socio-economic problem.

Poledriver I suggest that you inform people that you a member of lawyer enforcement and declare you inentions if you would like people to communicate with you on this site. I wish to see no people come to harm. I hope your intentions are to only stop people from harming themseleves and one another.

My main belief in life is to try to prevent human suffering and harm. Have a nice day and may the Lord be with you.

Sorry, I don't understand what you are talking about dope….?

Do you think I wrote these articles or something? I'm not law enforcement. Never have been, never will be.

EDIT - Oh I see, you thought I may have written the article, nope, that's just some ex cop guys article. I just copied it from the newspaper and posted it here. As it relates to the article at the start of this thread (the first post).

Last edited:
Poledriver I meant i no way to patronize, demean of negate your discussion. I am sorry if you did not understand my statements.

I will clarify in the future if need be. I am quite busy at the moment.

Anyways I agree with some of your thoughts and merely was participating in the discussion. If you have an trouble understanding the site I suggest you throughly read the bluelight user agreement.

So I digress that I meant in no way to insult you or anything of that matter. I will clarify when I have the time.

Also by the way the main thing about this site is open discussion. The motto is peace, love, unity and respect. Its a rather good system for communication.

Peace and have a nice day.

I got confused as I did not realize you did not write the article. So it was a simple misunderstanding.

The post mentioned 33 years of law enforcement.

No worries. I will get back at you when I have the time.

Yes I see and understand that. I had just copied the article, you can click the link under it to see it on the news paper.

No problems, have a good one.

No, you remember a popular movie in which people do drugs. Drugs as a symbol, just as the red dress was a symbol. It is not heroin & in the book this is even more clear.

No. I know what I saw mate, but thanks for your opinion on my opinion.

Poledriver, I didn't know you were into lawyer enforcement :)