• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

It's high time to end drug culture

poledriver

Bluelighter
It's high time to end drug culture

THREE days after Philip Seymour Hoffman died with a needle in his arm, Hollywood was putting up giant billboards spruiking its drug-glamourising Oscar prospect Wolf Of Wall Street.

The words "because it's awesome!" appear over an image of Leo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill in one of the many scenes in which they are high as kites and having a whale of a time.

The "awesome" quote comes from DiCaprio's real life character, Wall Street fraudster Jordan Belfort: "I use Xanax to stay focused, Ambien to sleep, pot to mellow out, cocaine to wake up and morphine … because it's awesome."

Young men in one Sydney movie theatre could be heard saying: "This is sick" (excellent), as Belfort and pals snorted cocaine, popped pills, smoked crack and screwed hookers.

This is a problem, in case you haven't noticed.

We now demonise the legal drugs tobacco and alcohol. Yet we turn a blind eye to the illicit drugs which are increasingly glamourised by Hollywood and pop culture.

Illicit drug use is rife as Baby Boomers take their habits into old age and Gen Y launches a new era of excess.

And the problem, for some reason, is now worse in Australia than in any other developed country, according to a 2012 UN report.

In Sydney, cocaine busts have reportedly doubled in a year, with mothers in Double Bay restaurants snorting lines in the toilet before the school run.

A study in the Medical Journal of Australia last September found ambulance call-outs for crystal meth, aka ice, had tripled in two years.

When the Howard government launched its Tough on Drugs strategy in 1997, drug use plummeted for the first time in three decades. Best of all, teenage drug experimentation fell, according to the Australian Secondary School Students Alcohol and Drug Survey.

But then a new laissez faire government arrived, and the figures show drug use rose steadily from 2008.

We now demonise the legal drugs tobacco and alcohol. Yet we turn a blind eye to the illicit drugs which are increasingly glamourised by Hollywood and pop culture.

You can't smoke a cigarette on the silver screen but the Wolf of Wall Street can snort coke out of a prostitute's anus, giving new meaning to crack cocaine.

There's something seriously wrong when the medical establishment is biased towards legalising drugs while railing against alcohol.

Last week, after Hoffman died from heroin, Australia's chief drug liberaliser, Dr Alex Wodak, was still using the good name of St Vincent's Hospital, where he is "emeritus consultant" to downplay the dangers. Heroin, he told the ABC, could be used recreationally.

"It's a risk, no doubt about it," Dr Wodak said. "But there are also people who go on and use and have very functional, creative, significant lives where they contribute to the community and continue to use heroin from time to time."

When the Howard government launched its Tough on Drugs strategy in 1997, drug use plummeted for the first time in three decades. Best of all, teenage drug experimentation fell, according to the Australian Secondary School Students Alcohol and Drug Survey."

Right on cue, The Guardian published an article claiming it wasn't heroin but the prohibition on drugs that caused Hoffman's death.

You could hardly send a more dangerous message at a time when authorities in Australia fear a return of the heroin epidemic of the 1990s.

A more realistic response came from Hoffman's friend, scriptwriter and recovering addict Aaron Sorkin, who wrote last week that Hoffman "did not die from an overdose of heroin - he died from heroin".

"We should stop implying that if he'd just taken the proper amount then everything would have been fine," Sorkin said.

Hoffman once told Sorkin: "If one of us dies of an overdose, probably 10 people who were about to won't."

In other words, "our deaths would make news and maybe scare someone clean".

But even if Hoffman's death did save 10 lives, it's nothing to the legions of people switched onto the glamour of drugs this Oscar season by Martin Scorsese's shameful movie.

I've interviewed heroin addicts trying to break free with naltrexone treatment.

The only emotion they expressed was anger that the government had been so slack on drug law enforcement in the 1990s when they became hooked as teenagers, catching the so-called "smack express" train to Cabramatta to openly score. It was so easy, and they were left with a lifelong affliction.

You can't smoke a cigarette on the silver screen but the Wolf of Wall Street can snort coke out of a prostitute's anus, giving new meaning to crack cocaine."

Now we're doing it again; governments and police looking for the easy way out, happy to believe the lies of drug liberalisers and appease the drug-soaked chattering classes.

Meanwhile, the so-called alcohol-fuelled violence we are currently so worked up about ignores the fact that alcohol consumption is plummetting - we're drinking less alcohol than we have in almost a decade, and 30 per cent less than the peak in 1974-75.

What has changed is the nature and extent of illicit drug use. Where alcohol is a depressant that makes you sleepy, stimulant drugs keep you alert to drink more and, sometimes, to become violent.

A decade ago John Howard showed you could change drug habits. But we gave up the war almost as soon as we started.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...end-drug-culture/story-fni0cwl5-1226821345848

yeah its the movies8(.. not that the fact that taking drugs is enjoyable and the "abuse" of drugs is a reflection on how sick our consumer driven go go go till your drop to achieve anything society is. Fuck we stress ourselves out over the dumbest shit.. many roots the the little supply and demand curve economics graph.. We produce as little as we can to make as much as we can and in doing this we end up receiving as little as possible but paying as much as we can.

If getting all the money and material busllshit, status, and sucsess was all that amazing then why do so many famous people kill themselves using drugs, its an attempt to find real happiness because these things are a joke.

On the other side of our lopsided economic system we have people tearing their eyes out just to afford food.

As Carl Heart indicates.. drugs aren't the problem.

Edit: when the soccer (super moms for non US) moms are snorting rails of the toilets.. LOL.. good luck this war is so over!!

Last edited:
Young men in one Sydney movie theatre could be heard saying: "This is sick" (excellent), as Belfort and pals snorted cocaine, popped pills, smoked crack and screwed hookers.

This is a problem, in case you haven't noticed.

Why is it such a problem? It's a movie. If I see a movie and see someone or some people blowing people up with grenades and shooting loads of people and I go 'this is sick' it doesn't mean I want to go out and do it.

A decade ago John Howard showed you could change drug habits. But we gave up the war almost as soon as we started.

Thank god that little weasel has gone, he reminded me of G W Bush.

This article is a nice little anti drugs rant, I'm glad I dont have friends or family like MIRANDA DEVINE.

TV & music now a days has a huge influence on the younger generation, whether we want to admit it or not.

I see so many young kids ages 16 to 20 saying they are bored, like there's nothing to do while they are texting their friends on their i-phones.

The young generation have it all, iPods, i-phones, video game systems, high definition big screen TVs, etc, etc .......they don't use any imagination through out the day.

It seems kids use drugs at a younger age now a days because of the cool movies they are bombarded with & out of sheer boredom.

Hey, I won't argue that opiates make a bored day/date/situation with family & friends into a pretty good time.

Drugs seem to full a void in peoples lives, young & old & its easier to do so than actually facing the problems or situations we all have to endure.

Yeah, the whole "drugs are cool" thing is all down to popular culture IMO. On the one hand they're glamourised on film and tv, on the other drug users are treated like immoral criminals - it's fucking ludicrous tbh. I guess though, people want to push boundaries, and illicit drug use let's people do this.

I've interviewed heroin addicts trying to break free with naltrexone treatment.

The only emotion they expressed was anger that the government had been so slack on drug law enforcement in the 1990s when they became hooked as teenagers, catching the so-called "smack express" train to Cabramatta to openly score. It was so easy, and they were left with a lifelong affliction.

Rofl. I sincerely doubt there are many addicts out there saying 'if only the government had cracked down harder!'

All known cultures practise ways of achieving altered states of consciousness, and drugs are simply a convenient and effective way, even if sometimes risky.

If you're going to take drugs, at least try to do them safely.

Lol at the 'morphine... awesome' line, the timing certainly is unfortunate, all things considered, but it's still fucking funny. The movie is funny, the book is funny, just deal with it.

Yeah, the whole "drugs are cool" thing is all down to popular culture IMO. On the one hand they're glamourised on film and tv, on the other drug users are treated like immoral criminals - it's fucking ludicrous tbh. I guess though, people want to push boundaries, and illicit drug use let's people do this.

The Swiss experience of legalising heroin addiction actively de-glamorised drug use among young people, it became to be seen as a loser-drug rather than a romantic-outlaw drug and the numbers of new users declined.

You can't smoke a cigarette on the silver screen but the Wolf of Wall Street can snort coke out of a prostitute's anus, giving new meaning to crack cocaine.

Damn these "journalists" are useless. They should have lit up the prostitutes taint, not snorted it if it was crack.

And IIRC he was blowing it up - not snorting it from - the hookers arse. I certainly can't picture the mechanics of attempting the latter.

I used to do that mutually with an old flame funnily enough; you use a straw or hollowed out biro, and blow the powder through the straw hard, like snorting coke, only way more intense. I only did it with coke, but I guess it could work with other powders.

Cocaine and weed are glamorized. I've yet to see heroin use in a movie without some kind of negative message surrounding it.

Alright I'm going to say it.. smoking crack and fucking was pretty amazing sometimes.

The "awesome" quote comes from DiCaprio's real life character, Wall Street fraudster Jordan Belfort: "I use Xanax to stay focused, Ambien to sleep, pot to mellow out, cocaine to wake up and morphine … because it's awesome."

sounds like me awhile back.

I don't do drugs because they're in the movies I watch. I watch movies with drugs in them because I do drugs.

The title seems to be suggesting genocide....

LostBoys there's ways to use technology creatively.

I don't do drugs because they're in the movies I watch. I watch movies with drugs in them because I do drugs.

The title seems to be suggesting genocide....

14.gif

It's rare to see drug use in Hollywood movies that is portrayed accurately. I can always spot something wrong and that sits more uneasy with me than anything else because if people aspire to it, they'll be aspiring to the wrong thing.

I would like to see more portrayals of functional addicts in hollywood, instead of always associating it with parties, the wealthy, and the down-and-outs.