• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Its amazing how noone seems to know this simple cure for opiate constipation.

crisler

Bluelighter
After messing with hydrocodone for a while and developing a tolerance, I moved to an OC habit of 40-50 mg a day, Im definitely more psychologically addicted because I have gone days without re-upping many times and experience no withdrawal symptoms but thats unrelated to my topic.

I hope this bit of information can help as many people as possible who are experiencing opiate induced constipation, which can not only be uncomfortable/painful, but physically damaging and dangerous. I am blown away by how many people havent caught onto the coffee remedy. It may sound silly but the results have been amazing after being constipated chronically for months, only emptying my bowels every 3-5 days and being pretty impacted almost each time, I accidentally found my remedy. Drinking a cup of coffee first thing in the morning with a glass of water. Coffee is a better laxative than dulcolax, magnesium, all this other laxative stuff, it doesn't violently contract your muscles and it doesn't cause cramping.

I drink one cup of coffee before eating anything, which is important because coffee on a fasted stomach stimulates peristalsis because the body wants to get rid of it as soon as possible, the result is only 30 minutes to 45 minutes on average, I will have the urge to use the bathroom every single morning, which is amazing for avoiding constipation or building up a soon to be impacted stool. I will use the bathroom every single morning without fail and I have not experienced hard/impacted stools or discomfort since I began drinking a small cup of black coffee. If some of you guys really want to stop being constipated, try this out Im telling you, only good things will happen. The more frequently you pass your stools the better you are, theres no worse feeling that being full in the colon/rectum, and not being able to contract those muscles, knowing when you eat more food it will get tighter and bigger and harder to pass. Those scary days are completely over for me man.

I hope this helps some people out man its much better experience than using stool softeners and laxatives which take long to work, are very uncomfortable when they do work, and last for a long period of time before wearing off..

Mira lax is the best remedy, every junkie should have it in their arsenal, coffee does help tho

Coffee stops working over time I find miralax to be the best cure.

miralax is great. There's also a tea called Smooth Move that seriously works better than laxatives without the cramping and pain. I swear by the stuff.

As far as pharmaceuticals/chemicals go, yeah I would agree that polyethylene glycol 3350 is amongst the most effective...you might also want to try milk of magnesia and/or mineral oil.

As far as natural laxatives go, there are quite a few plant sources. Some plants contain contain glycosides, which have both cathartic and laxative properties. To name a few plant sources..you are probably familiar with half of them...ie. Aloe Vera (Aloe succotrina), Rhubarb (Rheum rhabarbarum), Cascara (Rhamnus purshiana), and Senna (Senna alexandrina).
Btw, this is just for educational purposes...I wouldn't suggest trying to make a plant extraction or something, the pharmaceutical industry is ahead of you...so just stick with a combination of pharmaceutical laxatives and diet-change/monitoring.

Also, if you want to effectively treat constipation you will have to change your diet, look online and you will find tons of websites discussing diet and constipation. You might want to avoid certain foods in excess, the most constipating food for me is chocolate. But i never really seem to have trouble with opiates and constipation, even if I eat chocolate with them (which I pretty much always do, cause I fiend for sweets when I get opiated).

I supplement with magnesium citrate daily and honestly can't remember the last time I've had constipation, it's been years. I also eat a good diet though, most of the time at least.

I must be pretty lucky man haha. Im not a long time coffee drinker Ive been drinking it daily for about 3 weeks now with the consistent laxative effects that I want. I feel so satisfied after emptying my bowels every single morning, Im training my body to get into that rhythm also it feels good being nice and empty before an oxycodone sesh.

I habitually have a large Americano with an extra shot of Espresso in it when I wake up and it used to make my bottom twitch like a tourettes patient and was very predictable in action, which I liked. But as time has gone on (I guess 18 months now) it doesn't really work any more.

Senna has worked well for me but with only one little drawback - when you're chronically constipated it can be so uncomfortable and sometimes you want something that's going to work PDQ. The fact that opiates slow down the smooth muscle in the intestine's and Senna stimulates them makes it a logical choice. However, it's been made very clear that Senna should not be longed used for a long period of time.

Lactulose just makes me very bloated and gassy, and does nothing to help the constipation.

Lately I've been relying on glycerine suppositories that usually work incredibly well, within 5-30 minutes. However, they're not always convenient to use.

I'm due to change from Oxycodone and MS Contin (which I can actually lower or increase where constipation is an issue, dependant upon pain) to Methadone for pan relief, which obviously wont give me the flexibility of skipping or doubling doses I was planning to see my doctor next week about about a long term solution.

So thanks for the heads up re: Miralax guys, I'll try that out if it's available OTC, before I see my doc.

edit: it also seemed to become much worse since taking 75mg Nortriptyline for neuropathic pain, but I'm weening myself off of that now so hopefully that'll help. I did read that Tricyclics can cause constipation.

Methylnaltrexone. Brand name Relistor.

Around 50–60% of people with opioid-induced constipation experience a bowel movement within 4 hours of a single dose of methylnaltrexone.
It doesn't cross the brain blood barrier, but still is an opiate antagonist. Kind of like the opposite of loperamide.

I have never tried, but it is supposed to be effective. Unscheduled in the US, but prescription only. Also, it is administered via IV and expensive.

http://www.nps.org.au/publications/health-professional/nps-radar/2010/march-2010/methylnaltrexone
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylnaltrexone

Sorry to bump, but wanted to comment on this because I am currently exploring the best options for opiate induced constipation. I agree the coffee can work, especially if oyu have a relatively low tolerance. 40-50 mg of oxy if low-medium in terms of addict status. I didn't even develop a true daily habit until Imy habit was 45-60 mg of oxy per day and it quickly (like in a 3 thru month span) went from 45-60 to 60-90 to 90-120 and occasionally more on special occasions. My tolerance now is somewhere around 250-300 mg per day, but that is just an estimate of the equivalent amount of dope I use. I find coffee works but I have to get a full nights rest, be well hydrated, and wait before I do any D to get things moving. Which is difficult for me, especially when I wake up and need to go to work and I have 30 minutes to shower, rip a line and get anything else ready for the work day. But I do advocate for the coffee.

I will add my experiences with several other methods. A lot worked on a smaller tolerance. Senna worked, but seemed to only work well the first couple times, the same for milk of magnesia (which made me feel real sick the last time I use it, so I stopped with that). I take a magnesium citrate pill or 2 every which helps a little, but at this point I just use it because opiates deplete mg+ in the body and being deficient of mg+ causes opiates to not work as well. I used Bisavcodyl (Dulcolax) and it worked very well. The nest day while I had gotten moderately high I all of a sudden had to go and it really loosened me up. I even had diarrhea. 2 to 3 hours later I also had another nasty loose bowel movement. I was happy to see it worked well, but it seems most laxative medications I have used end up not working after the first few times. I've used the stool softener Colace and that has not done a thing, maybe it helped when used with Colace, but only a bit, its not a laxative so alone it doesn't help much just helps make passing the stool less painful if the laxative works.

I think what works the best is a small dose of suboxone, like 1 mg in the morning will clear me out completely sometimes. I am guessing its the result of a very wild precipated withdrawal, removing the relatively small amount of the full agonist opiates left in my system and clearing me out. Then at 1 mg it has only a mild blocking effect so I can easily break thru and relieve the withdrawal effects I am feeling. Might take 8 to 12 hours to feel close to full effects, but its enough and worth it if you really are backed up.

Another good option is eating a lot of green veggies and fruits. One good option I used recently that seemed to get thing moving was the Naked drink "Green (something?)". It had Kale, spinach, lettuce, green apples(btw apple skin helps a lot, too), banana, celery(which makes it taste nasty IMO, but I don't drink that stuff for the taste) and also I think there might be broccoli and either Kiwi, avocado, or both in it. In general lots of fruit and vegetables are good for passing bowel movement, but the green ones tend to work the best,

Hi, the best thing is psillium husk, found at your local co-op in the bulk section.

Miralax is where it's at. I take it mixed with a stool softener everyday and I stay pretty regular and have soft shits. The worst part to me is the rock hard pebbles that form sometimes. God those hurt.