• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

It feels too convenient that potent Marijuana is one of the only substances that can keep my blood pressure within safe margins

eBagger

Bluelighter
Mid 30's now I grew up enjoying marijuana recreationally, and medically for sleep or appetite stimulation when gaining mass or used it as a tool you know how we do. ANYWAY, family history of high blood pressure, like confirmed, like everyone on fathers side dies of cardiac event anywhere from 40's-60's and just drops dead of aneurism, heart attach, etc. Through 20's and early 30's I just always lived with it at being around 140's-150/80-90's and like, didn't bother trying to fix it until after I got Covid really bad and gained a bunch of weight. Either way I got on test and lost the weight but even with diet and exercise, low sodium, amlodipine, olmesartan, hydrchlorothiazide, Hydrolozol (sp?), clonidine, mixing and stacking, and I still take almodipine and olmesartain once a day as the only two I can tolerate without bad side effects, and it STILL in the 140's and 150's.

Enter some potent marijuana shatter I obtained last year. After smoking I randomly checked my blood pressure one day as I noticed I had no ringing in my ears and felt quite fine, it was at a near-perfect like 120/79 for the first time since I was probably 18 years old. I'm good for a few months, I run dry. Boom, immediate next day bp jumps to 176/105, and I have to seemingly double up on my regular bp meds to get it to come down. A few months later I'm able to afford some more, same damn things happens, low blood pressure.

I'm not in a legal state, my family doesn't agree with it and is annoying as fuck about it, its expensive and hard to obtain, and I have a good method it just takes some planning and time, but I'm about to be dry again next week and I'm just thinking if there is a way to explain to family or doctor like......it's legit medical and possible saving years on my life. I mean, I never really looked into how much continuous high blood pressure can do damage until after covid but now seeing how easy it is with a few hits in the morning and night to keep it down, its annoying dealing with the rollercoaster of blood pressures. And just still genuinely bummed when I run out.

Does anybody else get better blood pressure readings after smoking? Am I just getting a good Indica? Because marijuana concentrate has had the opposite effect on me before and caused INCREASED blood pressure and anxiety, but I've been smoking this same shit for like 6 months now and it consistently works every fucking time. I'm going to inquire more about what kinda bud goes into the shatter I got cause its a lituation.

Dawg! Same!

But ay, be careful, though. I'm not trying to spread any bullshit or misinformation here, just my experience-- My blood pressure typically reads at the lower levels of stage 1 hypertension. Within the past 3 years, I had a work injury that snowballed into a blood pressure issue towards the end, right? Thing is, I also stopped smoking weed because I figured a piss test would come with workers comp (but it didn't.)
No smoke for a month and a half, right? The doctors are diagnosing me with new shit every follow-up, so eventually I end up having a talk about my high BP. fuckin' shit had jumped to the HIGH end of stage 2 hypertension for seemingly no reason, so now we're putting me on BP meds.

Several days of taking the meds, I ended up smoking a little bit (I can't remember why, probably because I'm a pothead and always want to smoke.)

So I finish my session, go to the bathroom... and next thing I know I'm in an ambo' surrounded by a group of paramedics. Smoking weed combined with my BP medicine lowered my blood pressure so much that I fucking lost consciousness and was found with my pants down on the toilet by family.

I say all that to say this: weed absolutely helps some people with blood pressure issues. I'm sure it depends on what exactly is causing your BP to fluctuate, but it my experience a little bit of ganja makes that shit drop like the New Year's ball.

I've certainly passed out before from standing up quickly after a cheeky dab session.

Though orthostatic hypotension is both due to low blood pressure and an impairment of reflective adrenaline release when the body stands up.

I've certainly passed out before from standing up quickly after a cheeky dab session.

Though orthostatic hypotension is both due to low blood pressure and an impairment of reflective adrenaline release when the body stands up.

Oh god damn, don't even get me started on those stand-up/fall-downs.

Them bitches are wild. Never happened to me aside from mad dizziness and sitting back down, but I had a buddy in college that would always fall out while climbing up/down the three flights of steps in our dorm after a session.

Third time it happened we made him go to the free clinic on campus. They said it was due to low blood sugar and recommended he eat some MOTHER FUCKING sour patch kids every time he smokes.

Yo this is making me laugh so hard as I type this but that mother fucker got religious about sour patch kids with the frosting and never fell out again.

.....you're surprised that relaxing (physically and mentally) and forgetting stressors keeps your blood pressure low?

But for real, I've experienced rapid BP dips when I've smoked concentrated improperly extracted using solvents before

.....you're surprised that relaxing (physically and mentally) and forgetting stressors keeps your blood pressure low?

But for real, I've experienced rapid BP dips when I've smoked concentrated improperly extracted using solvents before

Most people don't really understand much about blood pressure, especially how it can influence so many of our bodily and mental capacities.

like, when my BP's low I feel like a slug, a turtle. I'm moving slow, clumsy with my hands, drowsy, I'm not hungry but I kind of want to eat, I get this strange pressure around my ears (but i've always had weird ear shit going on so fuck that).... like, it's a weird feeling. I can't speak for other people but it took me maybe two and a half decades to recognize the signs and symptoms,

On the flip side, though? When my blood pressure's high I'm absolutely FURIOUS. I'm so angry, so irritated that I can't even. Like, I don't know what I would even do but I can even.

Normally I feel that way driving home through traffic. Thanks, DMV!

Last edited:
@eBagger I get a transient/short lived reduction in my blood pressure whenerer I smoke/vape. A small increase in pulse rate. I hooked up my blood pressure monitor and took a couple of readings and then a bong hit. And started taking readings/writing down the time, Can't make any sense of it But an effect is there.

@Jibult Damn. It's a good thing you weren't driving when this happened. I asked about the lowering of blood pressure from Cannabis and/or an interaction with blood pressure meds. The nurses seemed to be aware of it but didn't know why/not interested...b/c most patients are not potheads:)

I keep an emergency Gatorade or 20 in my cupboards

And what a beautiful drug it is - not affected by my non working kidneys.

Tom

Dawg! Same!

But ay, be careful, though. I'm not trying to spread any bullshit or misinformation here, just my experience-- My blood pressure typically reads at the lower levels of stage 1 hypertension. Within the past 3 years, I had a work injury that snowballed into a blood pressure issue towards the end, right? Thing is, I also stopped smoking weed because I figured a piss test would come with workers comp (but it didn't.)
No smoke for a month and a half, right? The doctors are diagnosing me with new shit every follow-up, so eventually I end up having a talk about my high BP. fuckin' shit had jumped to the HIGH end of stage 2 hypertension for seemingly no reason, so now we're putting me on BP meds.

Several days of taking the meds, I ended up smoking a little bit (I can't remember why, probably because I'm a pothead and always want to smoke.)

So I finish my session, go to the bathroom... and next thing I know I'm in an ambo' surrounded by a group of paramedics. Smoking weed combined with my BP medicine lowered my blood pressure so much that I fucking lost consciousness and was found with my pants down on the toilet by family.

I say all that to say this: weed absolutely helps some people with blood pressure issues. I'm sure it depends on what exactly is causing your BP to fluctuate, but it my experience a little bit of ganja makes that shit drop like the New Year's ball.
Damn that's wild! Must have a pretty drastic effect on some of our bp's. Yeah I'm preparing for the rebound blood pressure, I've already started tapering and not just smoking all day, preparing to probably run out next week, in which all I can really do is take GABA, start just having a hit or two before bed with the reclaim, start taking blood pressure meds religiously everyday and do cardio everyday until I can get some more.

Yeah kinda, I've experienced all kinds of side effects from smoking bud, mostly increased attention span, increase in taste, much better sleep, but not always anti-anxiety sometimes racing thoughts and more aware in the past. Just since I've started buying shatter from this particular source have I had consistent smoke of the same product for months, and that product happens to chill me out and lower my blood pressure. Its pretty much all anti-anxiety, help sleep, downer shatter I'm enjoying it alot. Going to buy again for like my 5th time as soon as I get some dough up.
Most people don't really understand much about blood pressure, especially how it can influence so many of our bodily and mental capacities.

like, when my BP's low I feel like a slug, a turtle. I'm moving slow, clumsy with my hands, drowsy, I'm not hungry but I kind of want to eat, I get this strange pressure around my ears (but i've always had weird ear shit going on so fuck that).... like, it's a weird feeling. I can't speak for other people but it took me maybe two and a half decades to recognize the signs and symptoms,

On the flip side, though? When my blood pressure's high I'm absolutely FURIOUS. I'm so angry, so irritated that I can't even. Like, I don't know what I would even do but I can even.

Normally I feel that way driving home through traffic. Thanks, DMV!
Dude you sound like me. When I finally got my blood pressure in order and I was 115-125/75 my workouts would drag and the weights would feel heavy. No blood pressure meds and my bp at like 155/95 and I'm running and jumping with ease and hammering the fucking weights, its strange. I've just adjusted to taking my blood pressure meds after my workouts.
@eBagger I get a transient/short lived reduction in my blood pressure whenerer I smoke/vape. A small increase in pulse rate. I hooked up my blood pressure monitor and took a couple of readings and then a bong hit. And started taking readings/writing down the time, Can't make any sense of it But an effect is there.

@Jibult Damn. It's a good thing you weren't driving when this happened. I asked about the lowering of blood pressure from Cannabis and/or an interaction with blood pressure meds. The nurses seemed to be aware of it but didn't know why/not interested...b/c most patients are not potheads:)

I keep an emergency Gatorade or 20 in my cupboards

And what a beautiful drug it is - not affected by my non working kidneys.

Tom
Hell yeah it really is. Its so frustrating how my doctor has to prescribe me all this shit that doesn't work and makes me feel like shit and does god knows what when there is something cheap and effective that works better than all of it put together, and she can just be like "Yeah well its not legal so I can't tell you to continue using and it's smoke and etc" and I'm like "dude you tried to prescribe me anti-depressants and kill me so the only reason im taking your blood pressure meds is because I don't always have this new bp lowering shatter" like I knew drs were stupid growing up but like, now I think they are purposely diagnosing us with bs to medicate I don't trust them one bit. Hope ur kidneys start working better! I dunno much about them but once my blood pressure went down my kidney readings got better.

I've ran into the same thing recently. I've been using cannabis for most of my life almost daily but recently have cut back a ton and suddenly my doc puts me on BP meds for high stage 1. So I start the media and they bring me down to the elevated range but then I start smoking again after getting accustomed to the new meds and suddenly my bp is lime 115/72 in the mornings before smoking or taking my meds when before it was like 130-140/90

Damn that's wild! Must have a pretty drastic effect on some of our bp's. Yeah I'm preparing for the rebound blood pressure, I've already started tapering and not just smoking all day, preparing to probably run out next week, in which all I can really do is take GABA, start just having a hit or two before bed with the reclaim, start taking blood pressure meds religiously everyday and do cardio everyday until I can get some more.

Yeah kinda, I've experienced all kinds of side effects from smoking bud, mostly increased attention span, increase in taste, much better sleep, but not always anti-anxiety sometimes racing thoughts and more aware in the past. Just since I've started buying shatter from this particular source have I had consistent smoke of the same product for months, and that product happens to chill me out and lower my blood pressure. Its pretty much all anti-anxiety, help sleep, downer shatter I'm enjoying it alot. Going to buy again for like my 5th time as soon as I get some dough up.

Dude you sound like me. When I finally got my blood pressure in order and I was 115-125/75 my workouts would drag and the weights would feel heavy. No blood pressure meds and my bp at like 155/95 and I'm running and jumping with ease and hammering the fucking weights, its strange. I've just adjusted to taking my blood pressure meds after my workouts.

Hell yeah it really is. Its so frustrating how my doctor has to prescribe me all this shit that doesn't work and makes me feel like shit and does god knows what when there is something cheap and effective that works better than all of it put together, and she can just be like "Yeah well its not legal so I can't tell you to continue using and it's smoke and etc" and I'm like "dude you tried to prescribe me anti-depressants and kill me so the only reason im taking your blood pressure meds is because I don't always have this new bp lowering shatter" like I knew drs were stupid growing up but like, now I think they are purposely diagnosing us with bs to medicate I don't trust them one bit. Hope ur kidneys start working better! I dunno much about them but once my blood pressure went down my kidney readings got better.

You know, I don't know why but I don't ever remember reading this.

A little bit of time has passed since I responded to ya and posted here.

I still struggle with anger issues (which in turn skyrocket blood pressure) but I'm trying to just let things go, just go with the flow, float with the river type of shit... It is what it is, whatever happens happens...

And man, things are a lot better when I'm in that zone.

But again, though. I get so pissed off at people that act so predictably unsafe around my vehicle when I'm at work.

It's nothing crazy but I 100% start talking to myself, holding imaginary conversations about how FUCKING RETARDED that mother fucker in the green sentra has to be to even think that maneuver he just pulled 7ft in front of me at 65mph was a good idea.

I was told that I can use Cannabis (oils, edibles, sublingual strips or THC drops) when I’m in dialsysis if it helps me keep calm. So yeah, slowly but surely the medical profession is coming around.

My new psychiatrist was horrified to find out that I consume Cannabis and wanted me to stop immediately. I‘m only going to have phone appointments w/ this prick going forward. I asked him if he knew of a drug that stimulates appetite, sorta lowers my blood pressure, makes music sound better and makes me laugh more at stupid shit on Netflix.

Just gotta wait for the older docs to expire.

Tom