• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

isopropylbenzylamine & meth

our420room

Greenlighter
Okay, here are my thoughts and my question. I have been researching ISO, and
I understand it to be a "chain isomer of meth" also it "exhibits the same chemical formula and molar mass giving their hydrochloride salts similar physical properties"
Now granted I am no chemist at all, but it sounds to me as if ISO is made from the same ingredients as real meth. It also in a field test, will test as real meth. My assumption I am sure is "technically" incorrect but it must have some basis in truth. Maybe the same ingredients but in a different bonding pattern or some shit.
I have played with ISO, so I do have some knowledge, (if not more) than most people on the street and my curiosity has gotten the best of me, which leaves me wondering can't ISO in someway be turned into real meth? I am not asking for directions or recipes, I am just looking to settle my own curiosity.
I mean it has the same molecules and the same molecular formula, yet different bonding patterns

A lot of people think ISO is a bit mythical. Given it has same ingredients as meth why wouldn’t people just cook real meth to begin with? What’s the point of ISO.

It would make sense if it was a lot cheaper or easier to produce and hence made for good cut for suppliers but that does not seem to be the case.

I think when people think they’ve gotten ISO they’ve maybe got racemic meth instead.

A lot of people think ISO is a bit mythical. Given it has same ingredients as meth why wouldn’t people just cook real meth to begin with? What’s the point of ISO.

It would make sense if it was a lot cheaper or easier to produce and hence made for good cut for suppliers but that does not seem to be the case.

I think when people think they’ve gotten ISO they’ve maybe got racemic meth instead.
Exactly. It makes zero business sense to flood the market with that crap and have a bunch of pissed off meth heads walking away from your product when they can't get high off it. The cartels may be a lot of horrible things, but they aren't short sighted idiots. At the end of the day all they care about is their bottomline.

Here you go: from left to right, N-ISO, METHAMPH and AMPH

Theres really nothing mystical about it. It is a pharmaceutical intermediate.
It actually is cheaper, a lot cheaper. I am not in the business and I can get it for about 60 cents a gram. I surely can not get meth for 60 cents a gram and at that price it does make sense to be used as a cut. (which is not my interest)
If I can get it for 60 cents a gram in relatively small quantitys I am sure the cartel can get it even cheaper.
It is a chain isomer of meth.

Last edited:
Theres really nothing mystical about it. It is a pharmaceutical intermediate.
It actually is cheaper, a lot cheaper. I am not in the business and I can get it for about 60 cents a gram. I surely can not get meth for 60 cents a gram and at that price it does make sense to be used as a cut. (which is not my interest)
If I can get it for 60 cents a gram in relatively small quantitys I am sure the cartel can get it even cheaper.
It is a chain isomer of meth.
That brings us back to the original OP question of how to turn one into the other

This is something I got off reddit.. maybe it will help you clear some info about it:

Clearing up misinformation about methamphetamine that's been cut with n-isopropylbenzylamine

Long Post
I've been studying people's subjective responses to this shit that's currently being sold as meth in most of North America and Australia. It's low-quality, with different effects as methamphetamine so it's often assumed to be pure n-iso. Here's the thing. It's not pure n-iso! Real crystal meth has one component:
  • Dextromethamphetamine hydrochloride (90%+)
The shit we're currently seeing has three components:
  • Dextromethamphetamine hydrochloride (25%)
  • Levomethamphetamine hydrochloride (25%)
  • n-isopropylbenzylamine hydrochloride (50%)
Both n-iso and levo-meth have unpleasant effects. Levo-meth's effects are typical of norephedrine-releasing stimulants: clenched jaw, hypertension, ears ringing, sweating, etc. Unpleasant, but manageable.
N-iso isn't a stimulant, but the effects of levo-meth are sometimes assumed to be from n-iso. N-iso's effects are more insidious, and take about a day and a half to kick in. Lethargy, listlessness, inability to focus, horrible brain fog, depression, procrastination, sense of uneasiness and fear, feeling like you're unable to leave your room for days on end. That sort of shit.
This is why some people who just take it for one day often feel okay afterwards. N-iso didn't have the chance to build up in their system.
If it does build up in your system, then you're basically a useless husk of a human being until you allow your body to remove that poison from your system. That might take some time, and it won't be pleasant at all, but nothing can be gained by continuing to put more poison into yourself.
There's this organized disinformation campaign, that's been trying to discredit anyone discussing how highly-cut meth is. Typical things you hear from this campaign, and why they're misleading:
N-iso isn't a stimulant
No shit, that's why it's mixed with racemic methamphetamine, which is a stimulant.
It tests as meth with a marquise test
Yeah, both levo and dextro meth test positive with a marquise test, and this concoction contains plenty of both. N-iso does not react to the marquise test.
It forms crystals, so it's pure
These are weak, hydrated crystals that incorporate both water and both enantiomers of methamphetamine into their structure. Notice how they always seem damp when you crush them? That's because water has to be incorporated into these otherwise-weak crystal structures in order to stabilize them. Real meth, on the other hand, does not form hydrates.
People who make meth are idiots, and could never figure this shit out
They're a lot smarter than most users, and learn by trial and error. Most are pretty bright, but were born into shitty situations, and learned chemistry as a way out of poverty. Also, these guys pass down their techniques, which aren't hard to learn if you have someone who knows their shit instructing you. Think Walt and Jesse.
This is all just crazy tweaker talk!
Yeah, it's really easy and lazy to assume all meth users are paranoid and prone to conspiracies. So far it's been really effective as a means of discrediting anyone who discusses it. But the evidence indicates that the tweakers are right this time. I'll get to that later.
Meth is a poison that's destroying your brain, and those effects you're noticing are symptoms of that
This one is really common to hear, but it's not entirely true. It's possible to use real methamphetamine responsibly (hell, it can be prescribed in the US, under the name "Desoxyn"), but this shit that's being sold as meth now is a whole different animal. So people who have been using methamphetamine responsibly for years are suddenly getting really fucked up, and are having a hard time explaining it. This tends to work psychologically, because meth users often feel guilty about their use, and assume that if they're experiencing problems, it's their own fault.
All tests we know of PROVE it's methamphetamine!
Yes, because it contains racemic methamphetamine, so will test positive for that. However, there is one test that this concoction can't fool: the melting point test.
Get a stainless steel digital thermometer from Harbor Freight or Autozone or whatever. They're like $5. Make sure they can measure past 200°C. Then put a bunch of your shit in a vial, using a double-boiler type setup, with some kind of oil in the outer container. Vegetable oil, mineral oil, motor oil, baby oil, whatever. Anyway, heat the oil, which will then heat the vial, and its contents will melt. Insert the thermometer, and make sure the vial contents are completely melted. Then remove the outer vessel (with hot oil in it) from the heat.
Everything will cool down very gradually. Watch the thermometer, and watch for crystals forming in the inner vial. As soon as a crystal forms, take note of the temperature. More and more crystals will form. If you have real meth, the temperature will hold during this process, at somewhere between 170°C and 175°C. The temperature will barely change during the crystallization. It might fall 1-2°C, due to minor impurities, but the less it changes temperature, the purer you can expect it to be.
But since that's not something that anyone has these days, you can probably expect crystals to start forming at maybe 160°C, and for the temperature to drop maybe 10°C before it's all solid. This proves that you have a mixture on your hands, not a pure substance. This is the best way to test this shit by far, since there's absolutely no room for interpretation.
The ghetto version of this is "crackback", where users watch how the molten salt solidifies. If it solidifies in a wave, starting from one or two points and radiating outward, that indicates purity. If it forms slushy crystals around the edges first, and leaves a liquid pool in the center that emits vapors as it solidifies, then that means you have a mixture, and not a pure substance.
This "crackback" nonsense is like reading tea leaves
People assume that "crackback" means looking at the patterns in the solidified substance. That's wrong. Actual "crackback" means observing how the molten salt transitions from liquid to solid as it cools. You have to watch it in real time. While it may not be scientific, per se, it's actually a pretty useful observation.
There are plenty of other observations that are useful for identifying it. This n-iso concoction crystallizes in plates, whereas real d-meth crystallizes in shards. So when crystals crack, they often have plate-like surfaces visible. This makes it pretty easy to recognize once you have some experience.
If this were a mixture, you could separate the components by recrystallization
Yeah, if the meth was d-meth. But since you have both isomers, that greatly impairs their ability to form crystals, so instead it gets incorporated into the n-iso crystals. Levo meth can form crystals with other levo meth, and dextro meth forms crystals with itself too. Think of them like those zigzag shape pieces in Tetris. One is a mirror image of the other, and if you got just one or the other, you could stack them easily. But if you have both coming at you, it's a lot harder to stack them in nice solid shapes. That's why it gets incorporated into n-iso crystals instead.
But meth chemists couldn't have figured all this out! They don't know a damn thing about crystal lattices!
They learn by trial and error, mostly. And all they would have had to do is try combining n-iso with racemic meth, and letting it crystallize.
You don't know anything about chemistry and used the wrong word somewhere, therefore this invalidates everything else you've said
I'm sorry you feel that way.
What do you mean, "organized"? Coming up with conspiracy theories like that is a sign you need to lay off the pipe.
Yes, meth users are known for being paranoid and coming up with crazy conspiracy theories, but they don't tend to all point in the same direction, and start at the same time. This shit began in full force at some point in early 2017, and has remained consistent ever since. Thousands of anecdotes scattered all over the internet, all describing the same symptoms starting at roughly the same time.
It's not crazy talk. It's real. And we need to start treating this problem with the appropriate level of seriousness, unless we want to keep funding these cartels that are poisoning people.
I've tried to provide the best harm-reduction information I possibly can, but there's so much misinformation out there that it can be hard to sort truth from nonsense. So it's really important that we take on this misinformation that keeps being spread about what's going on. They think you're stupid enough to believe their bullshit. Prove them wrong.

"That brings us back to the original OP question of how to turn one into the other" (exactly)
My original question stands.
The previous post taken from reddit is filled with misinformation,
I am a very old time stoner, having experience with a large variety of drugs, (making, selling and consuming)

Lemme disspell a few myths, I dont have the time nor interest to disspell all of them posted. But lets start with the mention of water, ISO has no water in it and when you break up ISO crystals, they do not seem nor feel damp at all, quite the opposite in fact, they are extremely dry.
I have heard both myths, "ISO has no effects" and ISO effects mimic meth effects but lasts a shorter amount of time.
I bought about a QP of isopropylbenzylamine, so I am speaking from experience, and I bought it direct from a manufacturer, not a distributor or a middle man. If I had to pick a drug of choice, mine would have to be crack because of the initial rush. The only effect from isopropylbenzylamine is the initial rush, it gives a nice rush, in fact its a better rush than what real meth offers, but it has no speed effect what so ever. No matter if you smoke it or take the IV route. It burns beautifully on foil, like high quality meth, except when you stop smoking and allow it to harden again, ISO takes about 5 additional seconds to harden up again.. I prefer a pipe though.

Price is another myth, isopropylbenzylamine is very inexpensive, after I paid for shipping and the product too, my final price was 1.58 per gram, so as you can see it is pretty cheap, and if I buy more the price drops, if I buy a kilo (1000 grams) I can get my price to drop to about 67 cents per gram, shipping included. Of course if I buy even more, the price drops even more.

I do keep some around the house for a few reasons, its legal and my wife enjoys it too. it is nice to smoke it with my wife, if only for the rush, and at this price, I dont care if either of us drops some or whatever. The rush is about the only redeeming feature from isopropylbenzylamine. It does look "almost" identical to meth, it tastes identical too. It is however softer and it is hard to actually mistake this for real meth because when you smoke it and get past the rush, it offers nothing else, in fact you could turn around and go to sleep.

I do wish to revert to my original question, "can this be made into real meth"? What about if one were to gas it with HCL, my main concern at this point is to convert it to meth from its crystalized form, however I can also get it in liquid form too, which still begs the original question, can ISO be made into real meth?

Last edited:
"That brings us back to the original OP question of how to turn one into the other" (exactly)
My original question stands.
The previous post taken from reddit is filled with misinformation,
I am a very old time stoner, having experience with a large variety of drugs, (making, selling and consuming)

Lemme disspell a few myths, I dont have the time nor interest to disspell all of them posted. But lets start with the mention of water, ISO has no water in it and when you break up ISO crystals, they do not seem nor feel damp at all, quite the opposite in fact, they are extremely dry.
I have heard both myths, "ISO has no effects" and ISO effects mimic meth effects but lasts a shorter amount of time.
I bought about a QP of isopropylbenzylamine, so I am speaking from experience, and I bought it direct from a manufacturer, not a distributor or a middle man. If I had to pick a drug of choice, mine would have to be crack because of the initial rush. The only effect from isopropylbenzylamine is the initial rush, it gives a nice rush, in fact its a better rush than what real meth offers, but it has no speed effect what so ever. No matter if you smoke it or take the IV route. It burns beautifully on foil, like high quality meth, except when you stop smoking and allow it to harden again, ISO takes about 5 additional seconds to harden up again.. I prefer a pipe though.

Price is another myth, isopropylbenzylamine is very inexpensive, after I paid for shipping and the product too, my final price was 1.58 per gram, so as you can see it is pretty cheap, and if I buy more the price drops, if I buy a kilo (1000 grams) I can get my price to drop to about 67 cents per gram, shipping included. Of course if I buy even more, the price drops even more.

I do keep some around the house for a few reasons, its legal and my wife enjoys it too. it is nice to smoke it with my wife, if only for the rush, and at this price, I dont care if either of us drops some or whatever. The rush is about the only redeeming feature from isopropylbenzylamine. It does look "almost" identical to meth, it tastes identical too. It is however softer and it is hard to actually mistake this for real meth because when you smoke it and get past the rush, it offers nothing else, in fact you could turn around and go to sleep.

I do wish to revert to my original question, "can this be made into real meth"? What about if one were to gas it with HCL, my main concern at this point is to convert it to meth from its crystalized form, however I can also get it in liquid form too, which still begs the original question, can ISO be made into real meth?
Have you ever injected meth? Because if you’ve injected meth from back in the day. I first quit in 2010 and have used since 96 on and off so I can tell you there’s no fucking way you can’t tell the difference between the real deal vs the iso crap and maybe you enjoy the initial hit but when I relapsed the beginning of last year I knew the difference immediately that’s why I had to quit. But to each his own brother.

Have you ever injected meth? Because if you’ve injected meth from back in the day. I first quit in 2010 and have used since 96 on and off so I can tell you there’s no fucking way you can’t tell the difference between the real deal vs the iso crap and maybe you enjoy the initial hit but when I relapsed the beginning of last year I knew the difference immediately that’s why I had to quit. But to each his own brother.

Until a few weeks ago I was injecting meth andsourcing from different suppliers. I did notice that some batches definitely had speedy qualities and would keep me awake for a day while others had a rush but allowed me to sleep within a few hours. Neither were euphoric. I have been attrributing the different effects to psychiatric meds that I take (Abilify) and to tolerance. But I can see that it might be two different substances both ofeering an initial rush but only one with lasting effects.

Guys read my post, it's impossible to turn N-ISO into Meth. All chemicals having any kind of organical structure being sold out of China are "pharmaceutical intermediates"; legallity issues.
I think we can close this thread now.

Last edited:
There's a DEA report on seized drug qualities in the US, most methamphetamine is > 95% pure.
Google 2019 National Drug Threat Assessment - DEA.
So if N-iso is being used as a cut it's at low levels, and inconsitently.

Last edited:
2010 that long huh, ? All Im saying is it would be hard to mistake ISO for real meth. Way different. Bty I first tried meth in the early 70's.

N iso cannot be turned into meth.not at all.no amount of chemicals can rearrange it to where it needs to be to make meth.its just not possible.how do I know this? 20+years of chemistry experience.it cannot be rearranged.
as for the person who said it's being made from the same chemicals: it's not made from the same chemicals.u could use benzylamine+isopropyl bromide (not used for meth) or isopropylamine+benzyl bromide (isopropylamine not used for meth) benzyl bromide can be used to make phenylacetic acid which is used to make meth but it's a few steps back so it doesn't really count as a meth ingredient.more like a precursor to a precursor to a precursor.so no it's not made from the same ingredients at all.
its also a hell of a lot cheaper to make or buy and it evaporates cleanly and looks like meth which is why it's used as cutb but meth cut with N iso ruins the finer quality of meth as it makes u sleepy a few hours after taking it and it seems to dull the ability to stay awake or focus.it just ruins the high as it seems to make the meth wear off quicker too which is another reason I think there using it.ppl would be happier if ppl started using caffeine instead of n-iso.even if they went back to using MSM(no one cuts gear with MSM anymore).

I f remember correctly meth will dissolve in chloroform or DCM but
n-iso won't.so it can be separated that way.

There's a DEA report on seized drug qualities in the US, most methamphetamine is > 95% pure.
Google 2019 National Drug Threat Assessment - DEA.
So if N-iso is being used as a cut it's at low levels, and inconsitently.
😖😖😵😠95% pure!!! DEA likes to make things up ....like most dealers. Havnt had any that I thought was 95% pure for like 10years. That fact may be in some report, but it is false.

Grrrr. People palming off this fake shit are fucking shit. You had one l fucking job supply Gear. 😖 I dint use often and when I do I use a fair bit IV
And buckle myself. But you can tell the difference not while your paraletic but about 2.5 hours later for me. It ducking sucks.