• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Isolation of the alkaloids in Mitragyna Speciosa

Hydrobromide, you can extract just about any alkaloid using ion exchange chromatography. If there are several present, you can fractionally eloute to get individual alkaloids (but it's a right pain in the arse), or just eloute them all in one big flush.

As I can't go into details here, because of the rules, if you pm me, I'll cobble together some of the data about ion-exchange resins, which ones are best, and the results I've achieved using it (it's a lot of physical chem about pKa's etc., but if you're not put off, it's very efficient - and recycleable)

I think extractions are fine, and within the rules...

Patent US 3256149 describes the extraction and purification of alkaloids from Mitragyne speciosa. Once you have isolated mitragynine you can easily convert it into the much more potent mitragynine pseudoinxoxy. There are some good publications by Takayama H on Pubmed, some with free fulltext.

As for suspended precipitate, you could just filter it (good paper coffee filter) and then put the results of the filtration (sticky goo maybe) in a baking dish, pop it in a toaster oven for awhile. Then scrape and smoke, you could even do the rolling into pills and swalling that it is said natives do (erowid somewhere).