• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Is veranicline (chantix) safe for me? Opinions?

roxi2873

Bluelighter
So, my Suboxone doctor gave me a prescription for the starter pack of chantix. I dip snuff, don't smoke but I've been doing it for 15 years and am worried about my teeth and oral cancer so I really want to quit. I read everything about it, including the black box warning about possibly causing suicidal thoughts etc. This is what worries me because I already take medication for major depressive disorder, anxiety, PTSD and the like. I take Zoloft, seroquel, and vistaril. Does anyone have any experience with chantix? Are there any interactions I should worry about. I'm kinda worried about taking it because I'm already depressed and what not. Kinda stupid that I used to ingest all kinds of narcotics without knowing or caring what would happen, but I'm worried about an anti smoking drug from the doctor. I'm OK mentally right now, kinda depressed but that's normal for me. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I don't take it, but seems like a mind fuck when you combine it with the stuff your already on. I assume you tried nicotine gum and/or patches? I'd do some research into it. Great thread.

I don't take it, but seems like a mind fuck when you combine it with the stuff your already on. I assume you tried nicotine gum and/or patches? I'd do some research into it. Great thread.

I've had nicotine patches and gum before but they never seemed to have any affect on me. Doing snuff is different than smoking and I think a lot more addictive. Cigarettes are a small amount of nicotine instantly going to the brain while snuff is much more of an amount of nicotine streaming into the brain for a long amount of time. I would compare it to the effects of cigarettes being fentanyl and snuff being methadone as far as onset and duration.
Back to the chantix, I have read that it could possibly interact with my Zoloft, but it shouldn't be anything serious. I know the chantix acts the same as bupropion when it comes to nicotine except more effective. For a couple months a long time ago I was on bupropion for my depression. I noticed that it did make me not want to dip, and if I did put a dip in, I would end up spitting it out in 5-10 minutes because it just felt gross to me. I think if I would have stayed on Wellbutrin I probably could have quit back then. I think the chantix will be effective, and I'm taking my first dose in the morning. If anyone is interested, I can keep a log in this thread daily about my experiences and if it works for me.

You should be fine to take Chantix. Chantix is to nicotine as subs are to opioids. It's a nicotinic receptor partial agonist. Just be sure to only take enough to cover your WD--not so much that you catch a buzz, although I'm not sure if that's even possible.

There are potentially unpleasant side effects; i.e. nightmares. The odds are it is a safe option and it is worth exploring. If any side effects develop, contact the doctor and/or pharmacy.