• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Is vasoconstriction physically bad for you or have the potential to be?

sheekle

Bluelighter
Aside from like getting ur limbs chopped off or an increased risk for a heart attack, are there any other physical worries that could stem from vasoconstriction?

Is vasocontriction unhealthy/physically bad for you? Is it bad for your heart in the long run?

I believe I've heard people say thing like "You may not care about what side effects you get from MDMA now, but 40 years from now you're at an increased risk for blah blh balh"

could long term use of vasoconstricters make your circulatory system permanently less able to do what it has to do?

It can't be good... But it likely depends on your physiology and shape you are in how well you can tolerate it. If you already have a weakened circulatory system unnatural pressure added such as that caused by vasoconstrictive drugs can't be good. Just another factor...

Last edited:
Just realized this is not a psychedelics question. Considering the kind of understanding of the body that seems needed to really get to the bottom of this, let me move this to ADD.

Could it be the cause of meth-face?

Probably not.

meth face is your body eating its muscles after the fat is gone when on long term amp binges

Long term use of vasoconstrictors will raise blood pressure, not much else though I don't think.

Is it the cause of over grown ventricles from stimulants? Or a contributor?

I know it can cause necrosis if it is serious vasoconstriction and other complications.

While we're on the topic, can psychedelic vasoconstriction really rival that from stimulants?

I think many people are mislabelling body load as vasoconstriction because in my experience stimulants cause a lot more genital shrinkage than any psychedelic.

some of the DOx drugs can cause large amounts of vasoconstriction. there's cases where DOB users had to have limb amputations due to loss of blood flow.

9/10 vasoconstricton is bad. However most studies show that long term ADHD type dosing does not significantly raise risks of heart attacks. Abuse level dosages can cause strokes and necrotic lesions in some cases. Long term vasoconstriction can result in remodelling of your arteries.

I'mm on 80mg vyvanse and 200mg modafinil right now, and the vasoconstriction is somewhat medically worrisome. My pinky toe has very little circulation, and is somewhat numb. Sometimes it gets completely pale white, with absolutely no detectable blood flow. The worst vasoconstriction I've experienced occurred was when I took 15mg of methamphetamine and I lost ALL circulation to my pinky toe. This doesn't even happen on large amounts of Adderall.

I just spent a few minutes looking into likely mechanisms to prevent this undesirable effect. Are alpha blockers a realistic means of reducing this side effect of stimulants? Anybody know if any alpha blockers are ideal and easily obtainable?

Last edited:
Probably also depends on the amount of vasoconstriction. Large amounts are proven to be bad (hint amputations from accidental bromo dragonfly overdoses), small amounts... who knows

Isn't equally intense vasoconstriuction a normal result of working out (or muscle recovery)? I've incurred pain from doing non-extracted MG seeds. And honestly even at that level, it's probably just temporary pain.

Didn't Whitney Houston die of congestive heart failure as a result of long term vasoconstriction from cocaine use? As I understand it, CHF is caused by an overly-muscular heart, and the heart often becomes overly muscular from working hard to pump blood through narrowed vessels.

Isn't equally intense vasoconstriuction a normal result of working out (or muscle recovery)? I

With exercise, endogenous adrenal release also causes vasodilation via alpha-agonism, so no, it carries none of the risks that vasoconstricting drugs do.

Just to add my two cents on this side effect that plagues me. I do note after a 2 day binge on meth my hands and feet are painful for two days into sober land with notable red spots in the skin that don't look healthy at all, like deposits of blood or something.

I mention this because i know that symptoms of stims that persist after the drug wears off is not a good sign.

How about a permanently runny nose? I think that may be listed as a permanent side effect from using decongestants.

Not wanting to hijack but I have a query that could assist in avoiding this or mitigating where possible.

Could I take this opportunity to ask the brains of ADD a related question that continues to puzzle me?

I find that VasoC symptoms manifest hard and fast in terms of the worst side effects such as pain, cold, numbness consistently 2-3 days into a binge and is completely unrelated to dosage, hydration, food intake, supplements or anything else I can see.

The only factors left are time meaning either sleep deprivation, which i am sure does not trigger VasoC or some other unknown linked to time and duration.

Any ideas. I have tested and analyzed this oddity on my self and even dosed near OD levels on day one and still no VasoC issues arose on that dose as they always do on lesser doses on either day 2 or 3. Wtf.

^ I always assumed your heart was just getting seriously tired.. and that there would actually be a lot more drugs in your body by day 2 or 3.. it takes 4ish days for your system to be almost completely clean from drugs after a single use (depending on the drug).. depending on the half-life of the drug, we'll use meth (half-life is 10ish hours) then 24 hours after taking 100mg you would still have around 20mg in your body when you then take another 100mg.. and that's if you dosed once every 24 hours..