• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Is Tramadol ever safe to take?

amberdam

Greenlighter
I have the AN 627 50mg Tramadol. I've read so much online about seizures that EVERY time I take it, I feel so paranoid that I could have a seizure. I routinely take nicotine, cannabis, doxylamine succinate, caffeine, other opioids, I've also had a couple drinks today. I've taken less than 100 mg so far of Tramadol. Is it safe at all? I feel fine, I don't feel like I'm abusing it to the point that it's necessarily recreational. I'm not experiencing really any noticeable adverse effects.

I don't know any better. Is Tramadol O.K. to take in tiny doses with other drugs or should mixing it with ANYTHING be avoided altogether?

If you're not prone to seizures everything up to 300-400 MG should be fine
Combining CNS depressants such as alcohol and tramadol is a bad idea as it can result in increased respiratory depression (tramadol doesn't really suppress breathing on its own, but still could be if combined with alcohol)
Combining tramadol with SSRIs, SNRIs and MAOIs is extremely dangerous due to the risk of serotonin syndrome and lowered seizure threshold

Sure its safe for thousands everyday. But as KK said above, you have to avoid a lot of other drugs, including alcohol.

Tramadol is usually safe to take as prescribed :)

Usually it's fine as long as you stay under 400 mg/day, but seizures can occur at lower doses when it's mixed with the wrong drugs. I think the reason why tramadol gets such a bad rap is that it's a very weak opioid, it can have particularly nasty WD for some people due to the serotonergic effects, and it can cause potentially lethal side effects at particularly high doses or when mixed with the wrong substances

Of everything you mentioned, I'm not seeing serious interactions aside from the potential respiratory depression with other opioids and alcohol which shouldn't be mixed.

Also, where is the nicotine coming from? Tobacco has MAOIs that can increase the seizure risk. I've seen some reports of people taking high doses of tramadol and seizing after they smoke a cigarette.

Tramadol can be used safely, but you have to exercise serious caution !

I don't think I'm going to continue to take it. I believe the most I've ever taken was about 250mg over a couple hours. After I smoked some pot and read about the 'seizure threshold' I was totally freaked out and found myself having some seriously debilitating anxiety.

I should have mentioned that I've been taking it at doses like 12.5mg and with alcohol, successfully, for quite a while. I usually end up taking no more than ~50mg every 24 hours. I'm feeling like it's not worth it anymore. I would LOVE to get some kratom. I've never tried it. My access to opiates/opioids(?) is very limited, so I take what I can get. My problem with tramadol is that I can't safely potentiate it. From what I've read, even antihistamines and caffeine can "lower the 'seizure threshold'" whatever the hell that means. I don't like having some sort of mystery limit that I don't want to reach ever.

You are being smart and thats good. I think most find tramadol rather shitty anyway, but understand you take what you can get.

Thank you!

The shit of it is that I actually sort of enjoy the effect of Tramadol. I just can't stand how anxious it makes me about the possibility of being unhealthy over such a silly drug.