• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction Is too much water IVed dangerous? 6 mL of water in a day?

OpiateKiller

Bluelighter
So I IV drugs with a 3 mL leur lock syringe and usually the drugs are in 2-3 mL of water..

And if I do this twice or 3 times a day that could be adding almost 10 mL of water into my blood stream a day..

So is this dangerous? I mean I know people get IV bags of fluids so I’m assuming as long as the water is sterile it’s okay?

Thanks

I can recall one or two hospital stays where I must have got 3L of Ringer's via IV daily... 10mL is nothing.

Last time I was in she must have had the thing wide open cuz I could literally feel the coolness of water go into my body and my blood started to feel cold. I started shivering and got nauseous it was rushing into me so quick. I was damn near watching the bag empty in me.

-GC

So is this dangerous? I mean I know people get IV bags of fluids so I’m assuming as long as the water is sterile it’s okay?
In large amounts, water is dangerous because it messes up the salinity of your blood. But that's 100s of mLs. Amounts used to IV drugs are fine as long as they are sterile. In the large amounts, that's why hospitals give you saline (usually 0.9% NaCl, to match the salinity of blood, but sometimes different, to deal with various medical issues.)

In large amounts, water is dangerous because it messes up the salinity of your blood. But that's 100s of mLs. Amounts used to IV drugs are fine as long as they are sterile. In the large amounts, that's why hospitals give you saline (usually 0.9% NaCl, to match the salinity of blood, but sometimes different, to deal with various medical issues.)

Thank you for this information. I like the specifics