• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Is This the World's Deadliest Pill?

Alprazolam for me. Ever since I was started on mmt, doctors have tried to switch me from Xanax (Alprazolam) to an equivalent dosage of Klonopin (Clonazepam), Dalmane (Flurazepam), Oxazepam, Bromazepam, and Ativan (Lorazepam) - all with no luck because about 24 hours after the last dose of Xanax, I was in withdrawal.

Yeah, I had to suck it up switching from Xanax to Klonopin and just endure the withdrawal for a few days. Klonopin is a steady state plasma drug and my doctor didn't know what the hell he was doing and just had me cross directly. You're supposed to slowly introduce the Klonopin by transition but they never do. I was happy as a fucking clam when those few days were over though and one of them pretty much gave me amnesia during that period so I don't really remember the withdrawal. My grandmother said I was throwing up, shaky, collapsed a few times trying to get to the bathroom, and just generally looked like death for 3 days.

That said, it ended. When I was switching from Klonopin to Valium, even with being in tolerance withdrawal from the Klonopin (as in, it was barely doing anything, no matter the dose anymore), I didn't get any noticeable relief for about a week and I was on the equivalent dose to what I was taking of Klonopin (3mg a day = 60mg Valium) with a few extra 10s thrown in during that period.

I know when they did a rapid detox off of Klonopin, I thought I was going to die. Valium was not anywhere near as bad although I still ended up in the hospital and reinstated. Benzos are a bitch.

Been 3 days off my mini xanax taper and the wd is like nothing ive had before. I had dreams last night that i couldnt decipher from reality they were so intense and real...on the other hands i practically have a screenplay in my head by the dream (felt) so long, tho i only slept a few solid hours. Got a migraine too and had to take some immitrex, man i knew xanax was a beast but this sucks. Whats the equiv dose of clonaz to 4mgs xan a day? Like 6mg? Bc that seems pretty high.

They're 1:1 by most accounts, including Dr. Ashton.

I moved from 5-8mg of Xanax a day between IR and ER to 4mg of Klonopin. I don't think it would have made a difference if I slotted over to 6mg of Klonopin other than making me have a higher tolerance for Klonopin sooner. I was able to drop down to 3mg on my own (just didn't take my 4th pill one day and I was fine) and then one day it crapped out completely just like the Xanax did - no matter how high my dose was, I got no relief. Been on Valium since then but I'm tapering off of that now.

I'm sure you're right about all of this. I didn't bother reading past the article's first two absurd paragraphs.

I actually thought it was pretty good. Profit-driven overtreatment is probably the largest realistically addressable systemic issue in U.S. health care. I think fleshing out that issue through the example of problems associated with benzodiazapines is the real intent of the article, rather than to demonize the drugs themselves. Its rhetorical flourishes make it overstated in parts, but it does allude to statistics and under-exposed disclosures (e.g. the industry ghost writing of top academic articles) to support most of its explicit claims. I don't find what it's saying difficult to swallow. I mean, the explosion of diagnoses of psychological disorders is bizarre if it's not mostly the work of a deceptive and successful marketing campaign. How many people's anxiety is really so crippling and intractable that the best option is a course of treatment that involves daily psychopharmacological manipulation leading directly to physical dependence on narrowly understood drugs that are linked to so many ADDITIONAL problems?

db42_Fig1.png

source

The article this graph is from notes that the most commonly used prescription drugs in the U.S. include "central nervous system stimulants for adolescents, antidepressants for middle-aged adults," both psychiatric categories. Read the wiki page on antidepressant efficacy for an indication of how little benefit those have. Of course, we're talking about benzos, but I bring this up just show how easy it is to illustrate my contention that there's a ludicrous amount of overtreatment involving psychiatric drugs. I'm not surprised so many people think they need benzos to deal with anxiety either, since, after they take them for awhile, not taking them makes them feel worse then they ever felt before they had touched them. The drugs make a substantial difference for many at the beginning, sure, but then desensitization occurs and people are left nearly in the same spot, except now they're in a dependency cycle that's become their new normal and the idea of getting out of that is frightening.

Outside of institutions and special education programs, I'm skeptical that there are nearly so many people as who are prescribed or seek them who truly benefit in the long run from daily use of any current strongly psychoactive drugs. This is simply because, as the article alludes to, neurochemistry is profoundly complex, subtle, and particular in action, whereas psychiatric drugs are crude tools with largely mysterious generalized effects. The fact that such drugs are prescribed daily (the term for using street drugs at the dosages many are prescribed in this way is "chronic abuse," heh) means whatever unintended interference with natural neural processing they are causing is artificially maintained semi-permanently. Most psychological issues experienced by generally functional individuals naturally run their course eventually. Any drug that maintains an unnatural balance may very well interfere with the, albeit painful, cultivation of ultimately more effective personal coping strategies and other healthier means of regaining control of one's life. Presumably this is how things worked before the pharmaceutical industry, medical professionals, and academia formed a parasitic economic symbiosis that functions to deceive people into believing they suffer crippling conditions that can only be treated by lifelong use of expensive drugs.

Limited-regimen or single-dose treatments such as those used in MDMA or psychedelic therapies are where psychiatry for the masses makes far more sense (in addition to DAILY. EXERCISE. ... seriously.). These drug treatments produce ongoing benefits by virtue of perspective changes rather than by blindly forcing interminable neurophysiological imbalances in the absence of deeper personal understanding. There's not nearly so much money in this approach though.

Potassium chloride is an execution drug. Specifically, IV potassium causes heart attacks.

in a mega dose I guess. I thought KCl was a potassium salt like NaCl is for sodium. I know they add it to drinking water for taste/minerals/hydration etc. doesn't seem very dangerous but I imagine IVing a bunch of table salt would probably kill you too.

in a mega dose I guess. I thought KCl was a potassium salt like NaCl is for sodium. I know they add it to drinking water for taste/minerals/hydration etc. doesn't seem very dangerous but I imagine IVing a bunch of table salt would probably kill you too.

You're right about that. KCl is used as medicine and supplement all the time.

The lethal injection dose of KCl is 100 mEq, which I guess is equal to 100 millimoles, or 7.5 grams.

I think potassium is deadlier than sodium because, uh, I'm not sure I understand the physiology exactly. Nerve and muscle conduction always confuses me:

When used in state-sanctioned lethal injection, bolus potassium injection affects the electrical conduction of heart muscle. Elevated potassium, or hyperkalemia, causes the resting electrical potential of the heart muscle cells to be lower than normal (less negative). Without this negative resting potential, cardiac cells cannot repolarize (prepare for their next contraction). Depolarizing the muscle cell inhibits its ability to fire by reducing the available number of sodium channels (they are placed in an inactivated state). ECG changes include faster repolarization (peaked T-waves), PR interval prolongation, widening of the QRS, and eventual sine-wave formation and asystole.