View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Is this San Pedro pup too tiny to root?

t_wrex

Bluelighter

I'm not sure how many people on this forum are into propagating San Pedro cuttings.... ?

Long story short, this pup broke off by accident from the base of a larger piece. I figured I might as well try to get it to root instead of just expending it. After breaking off, I let it sit in dry shade for about 2 weeks for the end to dry, then potted it. I let it set for about a week, then gave it a small amount of water. It's been inside in the window for about a week now.

Is this too short of a piece to bother with rooting? It is about 1.75 inches in length.....

I'm no expert but I believe there is no reason why that piece of cactus couldn't root. I would certainly give it a try. I wonder if rooting hormone would help it get going?

I've had experience with cacti of others species (non psychedelic ones) responding very well to plant hormones, specifically Indole Acetic Acid, Gibberellic Acid and Triachontanol.

Edit: Only came to my mind now, in my experience cacti will take a few days to react to hormones but will keep reacting for far long than say, cannabis plants.
Effects on the speed of growth I have observed were jaw dropping, the mass increase would be progressing at several times the normal speed, and a cacti that would give one flower once a year gave several flowers 3 times in 1 year!!!!

Last edited:
I’ve rooted cuttings that size. It’s not ideal but so long as you did everything right it’ll be fine. You wouldn’t want to go much smaller than that though.

Keep us updated! Don’t overwater..

I just nearly lost half my garden trying to adapt them to a new climate.. Some I’d had for 5+ years :/

-GC

I've had San Pedro that size survive and thrive so as G_Chem says - go easy on the water.

Thanks for all the responses! I plan on watering it on average once every 2 weeks, with less watering around October - March as I read that it should get less water in winter. (Does the cactus have a "dormant" winter period even if it's kept indoors at constant room temps?)

I will do more research on some hormones. I am aiming to have quite a few cacti of differing sizes, so I am not too concerned with speeding the growth of this one in particular. Would hormones result in a greater mescaline content?

They do tend to go dormant if you live in a cooler environment. Not sure about warmer climates. Even if kept indoors with steady room temp you’ll want to reduce water because I think the lack of light makes the grow lanky.

I have in the past usually water lightly once a month or once every other month depending on heavy you water ant how the cacti seem to be responding.

Just a tip for now and future.. I typically feel my cacti lightly with my fingers. If the skin is tight and there’s no squish that means it’s good, if the cacti needs water it tends to be squishy upon touch.

If your overwater youll likely see discoloration near the base and marks/scabs forming on the cacti as the water has no place to go and oozes our from the pressure built up inside.

These cacti are very resilient, they are harder to kill than most plants ;)

As for Mescaline content.. It’s my belief 100% that the cacti produces Mescaline and other alkaloids to avoid predators eating on em. I’ve found my home grown cacti is much more potent than large cuttings bought online. I think this is for a few reasons.

1.) I keep cutting fresh tops off some cacti for the occasional tea or extract. I think the constant “attack” makes the plant produce more in effort to stop the animal eating it.

2.) The cuttings I take are top fresh cuttings with small spines and supple weak flesh. I believe the tops with the softer flesh produce more.

3.) They are much skinnier than your average cuttings due to climate. Because of this there’s much less inner meat and you see much more “green” coloration which is often where the alkaloids like to reside. This makes teas much more potent for the amount of material needed, a lot easier on the stomach.

-GC

Last edited:
I am sitting with several beauties at the minute - never actually tried them. I go with G_Chems' approach and check them with my fingers, mind you even with that one of them is an anaemic looking critter while the rest are thick healthy specimens.

What extraction/dosing method do you use?

Thanks for all the responses! I plan on watering it on average once every 2 weeks, with less watering around October - March as I read that it should get less water in winter. (Does the cactus have a "dormant" winter period even if it's kept indoors at constant room temps?)

I will do more research on some hormones. I am aiming to have quite a few cacti of differing sizes, so I am not too concerned with speeding the growth of this one in particular. Would hormones result in a greater mescaline content?

If my experience with other cacti does apply, which I have no clue about either way, the hormones would give you a bigger cacti in a given time so you'd be likely to have more mescaline in total, but it's difficult to say if they would contain higher concentrations. For that purpose, the method suggested by G_Chem seems to be very likely to be effective.
Please note that using hormones could change the shape and proportions of the cacti.