View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Is this Robitussin product OK to use?

Recreational Jose

Greenlighter
Hello Everyone. Eventually I'll introduce myself in more depth. Bluelight has been priceless resource for me over these few years of experimentation and moronic situations ive gotten myself in.

Anyway I'm very close to picking up where I left off, thanks to all the information and advice provided by the members here :)

My question, atm is this:

Over the past weekend my reading at BL has led to an interest in trying the DXM thing.. mainly for its uses as a poteniator to the last couple substances that I hope to be 100% clear of by Spring '16. TBH I wouldn't mind experiencing the actual "high" from this dxm stuff once or twice either.

After reading tons and tons of info, I have a fairly good idea about it all. Although there were a couple minor contradictions among all the sources. But even more so there were clear and fundamental agreements that has me believing strongly that a new and content life me, very soon.

To make a long story short.. all of my research led to me buying the only Robitussin product that appeared to be what I was looking for. Everything else contained superfluous stuff we don't want. So I bought an 8 oz bottle of:

Robitussin Adult Max-strength, Nighttime Cough DM.

Each 10ml liquid dose contains:

-DEXTROMETHORPAN HBr: 30mg
-DOXYLAMINE SUCCINATE: 12.5mg

8 just took a dose that was less than re:commended recreationally and an hour later, even as I write this I'm feeling pretty woozy. I'm not sure if it's the 300 MG of the DMX I just took 30 mins ago or the combination of the 1.5 MG of Xanax I forgot I took 2 hours ago (I Def have a tolerance for benzo).

So that's the background. Bottomine, what I really wanted to know is.. (whhoooaa def feeling it now, it's DEF the Dxm. Xanax never did anything like this):

1) this is particular product, is a good choice?
2) what does a 300 MG dose mean to a 250lb man, for the purpose of a medium intensity trip.
3) how much should be used to just potentiate? Specifically, will enhancing the effects of a substance allow me to take less , hence allowing me to ween of faster.

Basically, I'm trying to use Dxm as a tool to omit the only 1 remaing substance I have a physical addiction to. Suboxone.. and I want it gone.. for good! 4 years on it and I've only been able to get it down 4mg a day. Where's it's remained for the past year . I don't know if dxm has any direct bearing on that. But I do know the 2 meds i get prescribed monthly are extremely effective for the symptoms of Sub withdrawal.

-Adderall prescribed. (I'd like to keep a low dose to prevent its infamously rapid tolerance accumulation. Read everywhere dxm does help to potentiate it. Which means less Adderall needed)

-Zanax prescribed (huge help to stay calm and anxiety free but I dunno if there's any way to potentiate that)

-Suboxone buy from friends, 3 each week (nothing would make me happier than to close the 3 years book on that shit. But the Adderall and Benzo has helped huge in the weening)

What I'm hoping is that someone both knowledgeable and helpful will read this and offer the advice i need, to resume my life where it left off 5 years ago when I decided to mess with pain pills. I sense that the vast majority of suffering is over and im hoping that with the combination of

1) rotating the 3 main substances in a 3 day cycle (1 day the take 3mg and a xanax) (next day skip sub and take Adderall and dxm)

Aah you know what I'm not sure how it's gonna work out exactly. All I can do is set self up towards the ultimate goal of health and independence from any substance and my main point was using poteniator/enhancing addictive to make less b3 more.

Thank you for reading my Long winded predicament. If nothing else, I'd just like to know about that particular Robitussin product. But I'd be so happy to hear any reply. I'm so looking forward m to casting substance abuse, cravings, pointless spending, destruction of the things that really matter life, hurting people u care about .. etc..

Probably not the idea place to into this but again, if you have anything to share pertaining to dxm, it's ability to potentiate the before mentioned circumstances. . I'd be so grateful.

Jay

Few things but I'm guessing you'll be asleep soon.

If you are unsure about a product, don't consume 10x a standard dose before asking questions.

You also consumed a hefty dose of an anti-histamine, whhich makes you tired, hence the 'night-time cough'. You really don't want to take a bunch of this.

Robitussin is a fine brand, but you don't want the sleepy time version. You want DXM as the ONLY active ingredient. Guaf isn't that big of a deal but some people say it makes their stomach upset.

Both adderall and xanax cause a dependency, esp. the xanax. Many people find benzos more difficult to quit than opiates. If you are taking these daily and have been for any amount of time, you are also going to be dependent on these.

I honestly doubt it will help too much with sub withdrawal and tapering. I think you can use it in a pinch if you are kicking entirely, but seems to have mixed results. Sub withdrawals can last for weeks and I don't think you would want to take dxm everyday while going through that. Something like gabapentin or lyrica would be better and tenex or clonadine.

Welcome to BL. :)

DXM should be the only active ingredient. As my fellow blue lighter said the doxilamine should make you pretty sleepy, and you don't want that. You should also avoid benzos when you take dxm. For a pretty good trip I'd say about 400 mg is a good dose, not too intense but still pretty enjoyable and def not weak.

Suboxone withdrawal is pretty gnarly. Especially after three years.

I don't think DXM will help you due to the extremely long and protracted withdrawals that suboxone creates.

If you want to stop the withdrawal, get some comfort meds. Switch out the xanax for valium, and just keep hoping each day will get better. One of the biggest roadbumps you will hit is day eight. It has been a week in withdrawal and by now you are probably climbing the walls (I know I was) and want to give in. Press onward friend, you will start gradually feeling better after that.

Hi there, I highly recommend Clonidine, I think it's a very under utilized drug regarding withdrawals but some knowledgeable doctors swear by it. Also helps with insomnia from Stimulant medications. Any sympatholytic medication such as Clonidine/propranolol cuts your sympathetic fight or flight response, this is very helpful when WDs from opioids usually involve a sympathetic/adrenaline flood. I highly recommend extended release melatonin with it though, beta blockers can inhibit the production of melatonin.

Benzos utilize inhibitory brain cells to slow things down, I think it's better to curb the excitatory brain cells right off the bat using something like Clonidine. Although DXM works in a vaguely similar way, I would not recommend for long term use because of learning deficits etc and as has been noted the doxylamine succinate is a sedative that I would be careful on dosage with especially combining with Benzos. but if you were hellbent on using DXM I would tell you to find pure DXM robotussin PILLS online, lemme tell ya puking syrup is no fun.

I swear by clonidine as well. I tried proranolol but I am one of the folks that this pill makes extremely nauseated.

I wouldn't use dxm. It is a bad route.

L-theanine, tyrosine, magnessium for the restless legs and to help your valium do the job. Clonidine when you really feel shitty...however don't over do it as it changes your heartrate.

Also, get the fuck up and get outside. Excercise will help you get through it quicker. When I was kicking suboxone, I first walked to the mailbox, then to the neighbors house, then to the end of the street....each time I was a sweating exhausted mess, but the endorphins it created made me feel better in the short term.

Hot showers!!!!

I have used dxm to help alleviate opioid withdrawal. It does work, but once the effects were off, you're still in withdrawal. Sure, you can just keep dosin DXM, but the side effects tend to limit that ime. Also as manboychef said, bupe w.d. drags on for ages due to it's long half-life, so dxm's not gonna be the magic bullet for this.

Antihistamines also intensify the effects of dxm and can cause life threating problems. I learned this first hand, I had to have CPR to save my life.

Jay,
I was on Subs for years and jumped from 12mg a day to cold turkey withdrawals...by day 5 I was reading anything and everything on the drug. I hate suboxone!!!! I ending up going through lots of whiskey, weed, and DXM. I can't tell you anything about proper dosing cuz I was going half crazy and was

Sorry my phone cut me off...anywho I was half nuts and would've done most anything to get through it. Been off for a year and a half now. So if you need someone to bullshit, vent, or ask about getting off the subs I'm around? Best of luck...I have found it amazing to be off opiates because I can feel again and sex is incredible!!!! Subs suck cuz opiates with no high buh!!
Viva La Tank

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol tank girl! I feel the same way. I jumped at a very low dose, and by day eight I was out copping heroin. I couldn't even imagine what jumping at 12mg would be like.

I remember sitting there on day two thinking...damn this isn't so bad, maybe everything I read was wrong. Little did I know the check was in the mail and I was in for some hell.