• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Is This Normal For Chronic Nitrous Use? (Very Concerned)

lyricabuddy

Bluelighter
In the past, (I've made a thread about this), I've had extreme hallucinations on nitrous. Hallucinations where I'm fully convinced I'm being "haunted" by paranormal beings. Both inside my head (as in feeling things crawling around inside my head), and also things outside of me (seeing hollograms of the strangest things). Lately I've been very healthy. Running 5 miles a day sleeping and eating pleanty. The only other things I've been doing is taking Kratom <7 Grams / day and <7.5 Grams Lexapro. There was a point where I was taking amphetimines, not sleeping much, and having extrordinary hallucinations (both good and bad) on nitrous, but I contributed it to being tweaked out on the amps.

What's always drawn me to nitrous was that I've always thought that it was relatively harmless as long as I wasn't doing it all the time and making sure my nutrition, sleep, and exercise was on point. Lately I've been averaging about 1-2 boxes per day, but sometimes 3, for the past 2-3 weeks, taking a day off here and there, so I figured there should be nothing to worry about, right?

My question is, is nitrous in your brain similar to nitrous in a car, where if you take too much, too fast, you risk "breaking" something in your brain in one way or another?

I ask this because (let's forget about the fact that I hallucinated a pink orb penetrating into my ear and me feeling a creature subsequently squirm around the inside of my skull) today, I was on box 2 out of 3 and it just wasn't feeling quite right. I took a big hit and all of the sudden it felt like something was rupturing inside my brain. It was so realistic feeling, like something had "popped" and there was somewhat of a grinding sensation, that it scared the shit out of me. But due to the fact that I already knew I was prone to severe hallucinations on nitrous, I contributed it to me just tripping out, and just kept telling myself that nitrous is afe, so there should be nothing to worry about.

I waited a while until I calmed down and to make sure everything was okay. I tested my abilities in balance and speech (I was able to eloquently communicate with my roommate shortly after), and there was no numbness or fatigue which I would have taken as signs of a hemorrhage. I had no headaches and felt completely normal so, because I still had a partial box left and was addicted in the moment, I decided to do some more.

Again, it didn't feel quite right, and I immediately began feeling things crawling around in my head. I'm just trying to wrap my head around hallucinating these feelings and occurances when I'm not even thaaat intoxicated, as in, when these things are happening i am feel completely cognizant and cognitive - (I could easily carry on a conversation with somewone), yet I'm experiencing these hallucinations severely, and plain as day.

Is it possible that I did severely harm my brain, even though there are no symptoms whatsoever? And what's up with these extreme hallucinations that seem to come and go, and are sooooo beyond the spectrum of effects for nitrous, even in large doses? Thank you very much.

I don't know enough about nitrous to answer this guy's questions but I think someone who does should respond to this thread.

Honestly he's having really serious hallucinations from just nitrous alone...doesn't sound quite right to me.

How many dispensers have you gone through? Just curious..

But about your problems, how long have you been abusing nitrous in those amounts?

Chronic exposure of nitrous can lead to changes in the immune system and your reproductive system. Also there may be interactions with other drugs, for example I have had a seizure-like fit a few times while also on LSD and similar drugs and once that happened it definitely seemed like I was more prone to get more of them.
I think it is significant to consider that you are not only abusing nitrous but also use other drugs which action it may change. It may not be a huge change if you only did nitrous occasionally but with your amounts it may be significant.
Also I don't fully trust that nitrous is produced in a clean way (unless its for medical use), otherwise how does one explain the oil-like residu left on the inside of a dispenser after a while? I think those are machine oils from making the cartridges and filling them.

It sounds obvious that you are pushing your brain, and you should not wait until things get worse. Being on that much nitrous isn't good for you or your wallet. I get that you are a big fan but just learn to do it in moderation.

I don't know how effective the Lexapro is proving to be (and if you are taking kratom daily it may complicate the answer), but be careful with that. You may very well be fucking with your mental and perhaps also emotional well-being, it certainly sounds that way.

There are plenty of reasons why not to be a slave to something, why don't you cut it back for a while and allow yourself to heal? After that check again if you react to it in a way that allows you to 'keep your shit together'.

Oh I almost forgot: the severe hallucinations may have to do something with the fact that the nitrous trip can temporarily dissociate and disconnect you from reality and it's 'rules' and conventions of normality. The most insane things I ever experienced like time running backwards and stuff like that involved nitrous. I think that if you make those kinds of breaks from reality a habit it may become more difficult for your mind to keep a grip on reality since you are not allowing enough room / time for that. Which clearly supports more severe breaks.

Even if nitrous is not usually associated with organic brain damage, try to avoid psychosis, especially with that other drug use mixed with it.

Thanks for the replies, I'm actually tapering off the Lexapro because I came to realize it was more of an emotional anesthetic than an emotional booster. As for the nitrous, my use varies because I'll buy a dispenser, use it for up to a month, then throw it away to help prevent me from buying more boxes, then not use for up to a month. I've probably been through 30 disppensers over the last 3 - 4 years.

When I first started using, I would NEVER hallucinate anything crazy, no matter how much, or how fast I hit the can. Always very predictable. I would say over the past 6 months or so, the effects vary so much they can go from feeling better than ANY drug I have ever taken, to not feeling much at all other than regret for spending my money.

Not only that hallucinations started occuring about a year ago, both in bad health, but also when I'm in very good health as well. These hallucinations got so pronounced visualy, auditorily, and somethimes even FEELING things brush up against me, even when I was feeling fully cognitive, that it REALLY feels like something is "hacking" my brain.

These hallucinations really opened me up to the idea of existing siimultaneously with alternate dimensions and I started looking into k holes and 3rd plateu dxm trips as a result.

What if the chronic nitrous use has "broken down" my brain's defense mechanism / immunity system that keeps it protected from other realities, and now other shit is creeping in? Would this be too much of a stretch? I know there's numerous reports of people being in touch with beings from another dimension on dxm and ketamine, why not nitrous? Thanks

I certainly wouldn't call your amount of use "nothing to worry about".... It seems excessive to me. I try to only use it one or two days every couple of weeks. That being said, if there are no symptoms then what's the problem? Nitrous for me has reverse tolerance like pretty much any hallucinogen, and it already causes ego death and visions on the level of salvia for me to begin with. I expect that even using it at the rate I do, I'll probably reach your level of hallucination with it eventually. However, if you are worried then I would definitely slow down with it. I would recommend it anyway. It can't be good for you to do it that much, whether or not what you're currently experiencing is a sign of that.

I haven't ever done more than 2 boxes over a day, so 40 cartridges tops.

I always often used the stuff while tripping more along the lines of 2-3 cartridges.

It sounds like you are pushing your limits a bit. If you feel ok with that, more power to you, but people die from doing to much nitrous.

Be careful and maybe stop fucking with it, especially if you think it fucked your head up. Usually it takes some time for your mind to return.

... but people die from doing to much nitrous.

How so? It was my understanding that aside from depleting B12 it's pretty much harmless, short of putting on a mask and forgetting to breath in oxygen, in which case it's still not the nitrous that kills you. I can at least say that my balloons are not capable of holding a dangerous dose, I've pushed them pretty much to their limit without issue multiple times.

I suppose when people have others help them out with balloons upon balloons prefilled is when people die.

It is not easy to do to yourself, but it happens all the time at festivals.

What if the chronic nitrous use has "broken down" my brain's defense mechanism / immunity system that keeps it protected from other realities, and now other shit is creeping in? Would this be too much of a stretch? I know there's numerous reports of people being in touch with beings from another dimension on dxm and ketamine, why not nitrous? Thanks

That's possible. It's also possible that you are frying your brain by subjecting it to this much abuse and these hallucinations are the result of temporary \ permanent brain damage or psychosis.

I would strongly advise you to take a step back and think if its worth it to keep this pattern of use.

I suppose when people have others help them out with balloons upon balloons prefilled is when people die.

That makes sense. It's a good thing I haven't pushed it that far yet. >.> One full balloon takes me pretty damn far out though anyway.

I have seen some close calls and read the stats so I thought it was an issue worth mentioning.

Also, I have done alot more than one balloon in a row and had it forcefully taken away from me.

Couple things:

1) With medical nitrous you usually can't turn it past 70 percent nitrous, 30 percent oxygen, which means you're still getting more O2 than you would from breathing the atmosphere. I know the OP is using cans but I saw this referenced and wanted to clarify it.

2) As someone else mentioned, start taking some b-vitamins right fucking now. You're gonna induce neuropathy. Look up the "nitrous & LSD - long lasting problems " for a little cautionary tale.

Beyond that, I think the only thing that will "fix" this problem for you is a long period of abstinence.

Good luck.

I haven't ever done more than 2 boxes over a day, so 40 cartridges tops.

I always often used the stuff while tripping more along the lines of 2-3 cartridges.

It sounds like you are pushing your limits a bit. If you feel ok with that, more power to you, but people die from doing to much nitrous.

Be careful and maybe stop fucking with it, especially if you think it fucked your head up. Usually it takes some time for your mind to return.

Just curious but how do people die from too much nitrous?

I'd never heard it was something that's possible to overdose on so I'm thinking it must just be lack of oxygen to the brain.

I mean, how could nitrous by itself kill someone?

I'm assuming if mixed with oxygen like at the dentist's office it probably couldn't but I could be wrong.

If mixed with oxygen it can't kill you, you're exactly correct. The control will not allow the dentist to go higher than 70 percent nitrous, at which point you're still getting more O2 than from the atmosphere.

^^^^

Any suggestions about how to get more oxygen when using balloons?

Just take a few breaths I guess?

Actually, I'm about to do a few balloons in a few minutes and I only just used balloons with a cracker and charger I bought for the first time the other day and for some reason it's not getting me as high as using whip cream cannisters or the dentist which are the only two ways I ever did it.

Do you know why the whip cream cans might be getting me more high than the balloons?

Do you think I'm doing something wrong?

I noticed that it Does seem to matter what my technique is, because the times I got the biggest buzz I kept breathing back into the balloon steadily blowing it back up and inhaling more, but not taking any breaths.

However, that's probably not great cause it's probably killing brain cells.

Any idea why it might not be getting me as high as whip cream cans?

I've never done it any way but the balloons personally, so I couldn't really tell you that comparison, but I would definitely recommend not doing the way that kills brain cells.... As for why it's not as strong, that's perplexing. I recently let a friend of mine who was a dedicated canister user try a balloon for the first time and he said there was no comparison. Like just a fun buzz for the former versus an intense psychedelic trip for the latter. Something must be off....

Nevermind, I just did a balloon and...yeah, it definitely worked haha.

Not sure what was up last time.

I do nitrous a decent amount nowhere near as much as you though. I make 2 x 24 boxes last maybe 3-4 weeks depending on if im out alot. The part about you hearing your head "popped" reminds me of a time at a rave i was already fucked from MDMA and Ketamine, then was given a huge double balloon and after i heard a huge pop and for a few moments thought my head had just popped and had gone completely like a balloon does,I think you'd call that an out of body experience but it's hard to remember details as I was so mangled lol. Don't know if that's a similar experience but I just laughed it off and thought of it as a crazy trip.
s
I know the correct way to take it is with a balloon to get some oxygen but I mostly take nitrous with my mouth directly on my big dispenser, is this bad as It's 100% nitrous? I try to breathe in some air inbetween taking it to not "starve" my head of oxygen or whatever I remember hearing people say you can damage brain cells. Hope my nitrous technique isn't going to damage me, it's just easier at night if alone as filling a balloon is so loud and I don't want to wake people haha. Straight from the dispenser is just easier, not one of the cracker types ofcourse.

Last edited:
Don't inhale directly from the dispenser, it is under pressure and the expansion of the gas coming out of the dispenser cools it which can be bad for the lungs (like drying out since there is zero water vapor in the nitrous gas and maybe even mild frostbite type stuff).

Really? I've done 8 boxes (192 charges) in under 6 hours multiple times, and felt perfectly fine afterwards and the next day (minus the guilt part). How could this possibly kill you? Are you talking about people literally not breathing in between hits? Wouldn't you pass out first before you die?