• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Need Help Is this diazepam withdrawal? Please help.

MrManners

Bluelighter
Hi people. I’m really suffering at present and can’t figure out what’s going on. I’ve been a functioning codeine addict for 3 years. 3 months ago I decided to stop and a friend gave me 28 X 10mg of diazepam to help with the withdrawals. I came off the codeine and took the diazepam approx 30mg at night but only every 3 days. So I used the diazepam for around 4 weeks like this, 30mg every 3 days. Unfortunately I relapsed on the codeine around the time I finished the diazepam. Now about a week after stopping the Diaz and whilst I was on the codeine I suffered what I can only imagine was a mild Diaz withdrawal. I felt slightly anxious in the morning with some brain fog, but I was still sleeping a good 7 hours a night and the symptoms wore off as the day went on. This lasted about a week then disappeared. About a week after that I withdrew off codeine again which was quite a bad codeine withdrawal in my experience but was over after about 5 days. Then I had a week clean from everything and felt absolutely fantastic. Not quite 100% but still good. Unfortunately I relapsed on the codeine again. Fast forward 2 months. I’ve got clean off the codeine again. This time I’ve sought help from a local agency to help me stop relapsing and have told my family about it. I’ve finally faced up to it and that does feel good. But now almost 2 weeks after stopping codeine I’m getting worse. I barely sleep 4 hours and when I wake I feel extreme nausea, extreme tingling down my arms and back of hands (possible physical symptoms of anxiety although my mind isn’t really worried, just feeling down about feeling so shit) and a terrible pressure headache. These symptoms last all day but do get less severe as the day goes on. This is 2 months after taking any diazepam. Could this be a diazepam withdrawal? I don’t understand why I had that week about a month ago where I was clean from everything and felt great. If it was a Diaz withdrawal surely I would have felt something in that week? That good week was about a month after any diazepam use. Could this be post acute withdrawal from the Diaz or is it just a particularly brutal codeine withdrawal. It’s 12 days since I used codeine. I don’t know what to do. My doc says it’s highly unlikely to be Diaz withdrawal 2 months after stopping use. If it is, what should I do. Just ride it out? I can function and go to work but it’s hell. Please help.

I used to get awful pressure headaches, they are a nightmare. I honestly don't think you are experiencing diazepam withdrawal. I have been addicted to both benzos and opiates for a long time and never had symptoms like you report weeks after stopping. Try to calm yourself down because it could be that anxiety is making it worse, and you will naturally feel anxious and depressed at this stage post codeine cessation. Do some meditation, and things to relax yourself, and get back to your doctor.

It's not diazepam withdrawal but it will have something to do with coming off codeine, probably a bit of post acute withdrawal syndrome (paws)

There's plenty of info on this, look it up, it will give you something to do, I like to look shit up when I'm coming off pills

It's not diazepam withdrawal but it will have something to do with coming off codeine, probably a bit of post acute withdrawal syndrome (paws)

There's plenty of info on this, look it up, it will give you something to do, I like to look shit up when I'm coming off pills
Thank you so much for your reply. I’ve never suffered from paws before in all the times I’ve got clean from codeine (probably 10 times in the last 3 years and the longest I’ve lasted is a month). I must admit that during the lockdown here in the uk I did use codeine a lot heavier than I normally do. Idle hands and all that biz. I did forget to mention that I have tinnitus too, not too loud but noticeable and I’ve never had that before in codeine withdrawal. I’ve seen it’s common for a benzo withdrawal which is why I suspected this might be a benzo withdrawal. Hopefully you’re right and these symptoms disappear soon.

did forget to mention that I have tinnitus too, not too loud but noticeable and I’ve never had that before in codeine withdrawal. I’ve seen it’s common for a benzo withdrawal which is why I suspected this might be a benzo withdrawal

Oh fuck that, that would do my head in, I've never heard of that in benzo withdrawal and I've been off and on diazepam for years, few weeks here and there then going back on them lol, I'm a year off them now though

seems like withdrawals to me, it's normal to feel that pressure in your head and hyperalgesia(increased sensitivity to pain).

Oh fuck that, that would do my head in, I've never heard of that in benzo withdrawal and I've been off and on diazepam for years, few weeks here and there then going back on them lol, I'm a year off them now though
What’s the withdrawal process typically like for yourself? How long does it last and how heavy do you use if you don’t mind me asking?

seems like withdrawals to me, it's normal to feel that pressure in your head and hyperalgesia(increased sensitivity to pain).
Do you mean Diaz or codeine withdrawals? If it’s Diaz how long will it last?

codeine, that's not enough time to get a dependecy to diazepam and those light doses even less likely.
ok thank you. That’s what I’m really hoping tbh but after joining a beating Benzos group on Facebook the people there scared the shit out of me! It’s just the tinnitus and length of symptoms that’s confusing me. This is like no other codeine withdrawal I’ve ever had. Maybe I got lucky before and this time I’ve got paws.

ok thank you. That’s what I’m really hoping tbh but after joining a beating Benzos group on Facebook the people there scared the shit out of me! It’s just the tinnitus and length of symptoms that’s confusing me. This is like no other codeine withdrawal I’ve ever had. Maybe I got lucky before and this time I’ve got paws.
i've experienced tinnitus from morphine withdrawal a month after the acute wds subsided. Just give it some time, Codeine even though it's the weakest from the opiate class, is a god damn strong and very addictive drug.

I used to get awful pressure headaches, they are a nightmare. I honestly don't think you are experiencing diazepam withdrawal. I have been addicted to both benzos and opiates for a long time and never had symptoms like you report weeks after stopping. Try to calm yourself down because it could be that anxiety is making it worse, and you will naturally feel anxious and depressed at this stage post codeine cessation. Do some meditation, and things to relax yourself, and get back to your doctor.
Sorry, I missed this reply at first so thank you for responding. I’m quite calm about it today, and do feel a bit better than yesterday, although only slightly. The general consensus seems to be that this isn’t Diaz withdrawal so that’s making me feel a bit better. I’m in contact with my doc, she’s done some blood tests to check for long term damage and see if I’ve messed up my adrenal glands and testosterone levels. She’d never heard about those being effected but I’m a bugger for research and told her I’d like them checked. She said no but she’d look into it and a few minutes later she text me and said she was checking testosterone levels and cortisol levels and linked me to a medical journal that I’d already read. I really do spend too much time researching these things and health matters. I often get asked if I’m a doctor by the staff at the hospital when I’ve attended before!

i've experienced tinnitus from morphine withdrawal a month after the acute wds subsided. Just give it some time, Codeine even though it's the weakest from the opiate class, is a god damn strong and very addictive drug.
That’s some relief to hear. I’ve been terrified of protracted benzo withdrawals. Those benzo Facebook groups have scared me shitless haha! Hopefully this is some codeine paws and it will be over soon. Thanks again for your response.

Those benzo Facebook groups have scared me shitless....
This may be a good thing. Be scared as benzos can be a very spooky/dangerous substance if not properly handled.
Best of luck and it will eventually all pass with determination, time and patience.
<3 <3

This may be a good thing. Be scared as benzos can be a very spooky/dangerous substance if not properly handled.
Best of luck and it will eventually all pass with determination, time and patience.
<3 <3
Thanks for the response. I only used the Diaz to try and get off codeine. I don’t particularly like a benzo buzz so there’s no danger of me using them again. I know I’ve just got to deal with this day by day and wait for it to pass, hopefully o don’t relapse on the codeine but this is the first time I’ve sought help for it so I’m very positive I’m off for good this time.

How long did your tinnitus persist for?

How long did your tinnitus persist for?
mhmm couple weeks but tinnitus has many causes not just opiate wd. You should do some research on google to see what could be the cause,generally it's not permanent though. Could be some blood pressure issues too. How old are you?

there are different types of tinnitus with different causes.

i got it after injecting massive amounts of cocaine, felt like i was in a swimming pool for weeks after and still got ringing in my ears nearly 2 years later. it has either subsided somewhat or i've got used to it because its not as loud and annoying as it was at the start, but i think that the damage to my capillaries is permanent, scares me slightly about the damage that i can't hear.