• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Is this a viable alternative to dropshipping

keyex

Greenlighter
So, I'm starting a new company dealing in real estate, but I'm also looking at a side project whenever I have down time. I'm entertaining the idea of an ecommerce store that sells a certain type of product, where I'll have products from over 50 different manufacturers.

I cant afford to stock 5000 parts that are all 500-8,000 each, so of course dropshipping would make sense, but finding a dropshipper for all these specific parts and manufacturers is impossible (literally, they dont exist for this market). I'm just trying to figure out if it's a viable option to take a customers order, then use their information to order a part from the manufacturer and send it to their address. I cant figure out if that would be legal, or it would fall under identity theft or something. Sending their order to a dropshipper is one thing, but typing their information into a form, or using it on the phone to order their parts to their house is a bit different. The question is if you think that is a real possibility, or I should find another way?

what value are you adding to the transaction? why shouldn't the customer just buy direct and leave you out?

alasdair

What you're describing is something more like direct fulfillment.

You are going to have a tough time finding vendors that will do that for you, most only want to ship to the address your business is registered at. You will probably be asked to provide a copy of your Tax ID certificate if you are dealing with legit businesses.

Or are you creating some sort of unregistered fly-by-night operation?