• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Is this a morphine windfall?

Sparkleplenty

Greenlighter
I just discovered two full bottles (90 count) of my late husband's morphine sulfate ER , 100 mg tab. I am a chronic pain patient with active Crohn's disease and denied pain meds thanks to misinterpreted CDC guidelines. Trouble with the pills is they are ten years old. Could they be safe to take? Or effective?

They're safe to take but the effects won't hit you the same. So they will be less potent and you being a Crohn's pacient I advice you to not do it.

Please don’t take them, if you’re opioid naive then it could be very dangerous.

As has been said they might be less potent, they might not be, so this is unknown

What is a FACT though is the dose could be enough for a problematic overdose for you, so from a harm reduction perspective the advise is likely to be to not consume them

I just discovered two full bottles (90 count) of my late husband's morphine sulfate ER , 100 mg tab. I am a chronic pain patient with active Crohn's disease and denied pain meds thanks to misinterpreted CDC guidelines. Trouble with the pills is they are ten years old. Could they be safe to take? Or effective?

They should work quite well, perhaps the same as they did 10 years ago if they were stored properly.

However I'd advise against fooling around with them since:

1) The formulation you have is designed for those with tolerance to opioids (you'd have to take a fraction of one pill or risk getting sick/overdose)

2) Morphine is very addictive and you've seemed to have gotten this far without them. If you do take them and get addicted, what will happen when you run out? Perhaps you will enjoy it and find the pills beckoning you from the medicine cabinet? My opioid addiction started by taking a dead man's morphine (my friend's father died and I took the bottle of morphine home out of curiosity). It sat on my shelf for months and then one night when my girlfriend was acting out I took some and it seemed like it was everything I was missing. This was in high school and I've struggled with opioid addiction ever since (nearly costing me my life many times). My life-long battle with opioid addiction started with a dead man's morphine; I'd advise making the same mistake.

3) Morphine (and opioids in general) reduces GI motility and can complicate disorders such as crohns. Your physician didn't find them called for so perhaps they truely aren't (not sure what you mean about the CDC misinterpretation).

Wow I wish I found 90 100mg Morphine tabs.. only jokin lol. Yeah they'll still be viable even after 10 years if they've been stored correctly. Without a tolerance 100mg is very dangerous even if they are ER, ud have to take a quarter of a pill (25mg) to make it safe but for extra safety I'd take 1\8 (12.5mg) of a pill.