• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Is there such a thing as a "drug hangover"?

PieceByPiece

Bluelighter
Is there such a thing as a "drug hangover" the next day after you've taken a large amount of depressant drugs (no uppers)? If so, what does a drug hangover consist of? Would it be the same symptoms as an alcohol hangover?

Almost anything that makes you feel good can make you feel bad when you come down if you take enough and especially if you aren't used to it.

To get a better answer it would probably help to know which drug you are talking about.

Definitely yes. It might not be the exact same as an alcohol hangover but opiates will give me a splitting headache and nausea the next day if I overdid it the night before. Benzos will make me feel very hazy and depressed the next day.

It really depends on the drug. I wouldn't expect the same after effects from weed, benzos, barbituates or opiates, even though they all (at least in one aspect) could be considered "downers"

I mean, I wouldn't even expect the same thing within a given class of drug. Alprazolam is going to have more potential for, say, rebound anxiety than Flurazepam will.

It's kind of too vague, beyond a short answer of "yes", honestly.

Sure. People talk of comedowns or crashes off stims, feeling groggy off benzos or opiates. All just words for what we think of as a hangover.

If you still impaired or feeling unpleasant after effects after sleeping it off, then your experiencing a hangover.

What does a hangover consist of? Sometimes a hangover is a min-withdrawal, sometimes its that the drug hasn't worked its way out of your system, sometimes its that in your uninhibited state you overexerted yourself. sometimes the altered sleep architecture from the drug is a big factor.

If we were talking alcohol hangovers i'd add 4 or five other factors like dehydration and depletion of certain nutrients.

Hangover is what you feel after a small overdose. You can overdose with all drugs, so you can have a hangover with all drugs.

Sounds like withdraw, but it is kinda like an alcohol hangover. Just don't take more to get rid of the symptoms because that's how you get addicted.

When we talk about "Hangovers", Alcohol really takes the cake in terms of severity. Unlike the vast majority of currently popular psychoactive substances, Alcohol is actually poisonous. Dehydration is a big factor in how severe a hangover can be, but what is believed to be the primary cause, is the excess Acetaldehyde that is produced through the body's natural process of metabolising Alcohol. Most drugs don't have such serious negative issues in regards to how they are eliminated from the body.

I think when people refer to a "hangover" the morning after taking depressants like Opioids or Benzodiazepines it is actually just the body experiencing the residual effects of the drug as it is still being eliminated from the body. This shouldn't be unpleasant, however, like an Alcohol hangover. It should really just mimic the acute effects of the drug, albeit less intensely.