• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids is there something similar to Promethazine to take with Codeine

Razu

Greenlighter
Hey guys im new here and i hope someone can help me with my first question 8). Promethazine doesnt exist anymore in my Country is there any med similar to Promethazin to take before / or. after the Codeine. I've read promethazine binds on Acetylcholinreceptor, 5HT2A, 5HT2C, D2, NMDA Glutamate, α1. And that it blocks Dopamine so the Dopamine stays in longer from the Codeine (i hope im not wrong from what ive read about it). Does anyone know some Meds that would work the same way as promethazine, would help me alot thanks :)

Hydroxyzine is safer, and more effective for potentian, nothing is going to do sxaceltly you described because opiods have to bind to the Mi rwcopters: your describing the mild anyschotic effects. So h hi
Hydroxyzines( brnnd visreral or Atarax orelow dose Serouqel
I n The is not much Otc* Cyclizine? Or Benadryl or doxy lamine to you too ,( Classic if you're desperate.excuser typos leave this ooen for now.. I

H haha doxlyamine would be second to rx only,! maybe Benadryl for traditional purposes u mention it before me . Automatic demerit sir ;)

Hydroxyzine is safer, and more effective for potentian, nothing is going to do sxaceltly you described because opiods have to bind to the Mi rwcopters: your describing the mild anyschotic effects. So h hi
Hydroxyzines( brnnd visreral or Atarax orelow dose Serouqel
I n The is not much Otc* Cyclizine? Or Benadryl or doxy lamine to you too ,( Classic if you're desperate.excuser typos leave this ooen for now.. I
Mhmm what do you think about Promazine, Levomepromazine, Triflupromazine, not sure though which one would be the closest / weakest to Promethazine

And that it blocks Dopamine so the Dopamine stays in longer from the Codeine (i hope im not wrong from what ive read about it).

You're seriously misunderstanding something here: promethazine is a dopamine antagonist. It doesn't block the dopamine transporter (which would make it a dopamine reuptake inhibitor) - it blocks dopamine *receptors*, meaning it actually decreases the euphoria that would come from taking it with other dopaminergic drugs.

Luckily, it is only a relatively weak dopamine antagonist (I say "luckily", because strong dopamine antagonists like haloperidol or chlorpromazine tend to have extremely unpleasant side-effects), and is primarily an antihistamine.
The reason people like to combine these with codeine is because a) it increases the sedation and b) it decreases the effects of released histamine, which codeine is particularly notorious for when compared to other opioids.

Keep in mind that codeine/promethazine is not a particularly euphoric combo - it was just the one opioid (besides maybe heroin) that you could acquire easily when you were a black kid living in the poorest areas of the major American cities, so the appeal lies mostly in nostalgia/"street credibility" than actual recreational potency.

At any rate, the closest thing to promethazine still used in parts of Europe might be prothipendyl, although realistically, various antipsychotics (like quetiapine), antihistamines or tricyclic antidepressants are also going to mimic the sedation produced by promethazine.
You mostly only need the histamine antagonism - some of promethazine's other effects, like acetylcholine antagonism or the aforementioned dopamine antagonism, are in fact generally very undesirable for a recreational drug.

Last edited:
Any sedating antihistamine should be near-identical in effect and get you what you want. Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) is available over the counter for cheap.

You're seriously misunderstanding something here: promethazine is a dopamine antagonist. It doesn't block the dopamine transporter (which would make it a dopamine reuptake inhibitor) - it blocks dopamine *receptors*, meaning it actually decreases the euphoria that would come from taking it with other dopaminergic drugs.

Luckily, it is only a relatively weak dopamine antagonist (I say "luckily", because strong dopamine antagonists like haloperidol or chlorpromazine tend to have extremely unpleasant side-effects), and is primarily an antihistamine.
The reason people like to combine these with codeine is because a) it increases the sedation and b) it decreases the effects of released histamine, which codeine is particularly notorious for when compared to other opioids.

Keep in mind that codeine/promethazine is not a particularly euphoric combo - it was just the one opioid (besides maybe heroin) that you could acquire easily when you were a black kid living in the poorest areas of the major American cities, so the appeal lies mostly in nostalgia/"street credibility" than actual recreational potency.

At any rate, the closest thing to promethazine still used in parts of Europe might be prothipendyl, although realistically, various antipsychotics (like quetiapine), antihistamines or tricyclic antidepressants are also going to mimic the sedation produced by promethazine.
You mostly only need the histamine antagonism - some of promethazine's other effects, like acetylcholine antagonism or the aforementioned dopamine antagonism, are in fact generally very undesirable for a recreational drug.
Oh ok i got i understand it now thanks, Would a Dopamine reuptake inhibitor increase the duration of the dopamine being in the receptor from the codeine, if you take it after the codeine or before?

Really wouldn't mess w/ dopamine reuptake
inhibitors - someant-psychotic medications block dopamine or antagonize it

really, just one of the aforementioned antihistamines, the one (levo) would be closest, although at potent s hgen should work. Also weak anti-dperresants/psychotics wil also have the same effect in ow doses(remeron, seroquel)

Yiur really over think ing it / Just keep it simple. I'll rave this open a bit longer, even though you have your answer ad infitum

Really wouldn't mess w/ dopamine reuptake
inhibitors - someant-psychotic medications block dopamine or antagonize it

really, just one of the aforementioned antihistamines, the one (levo) would be closest, although at potent s hgen should work. Also weak anti-dperresants/psychotics wil also have the same effect in ow doses(remeron, seroquel)

Yiur really over think ing it / Just keep it simple. I'll rave this open a bit longer, even though you have your answer ad infitum

Yeah idk sometimes DHC / Codeine was pretty euphoric, then sometimes it isnt at all seems abit random wish it could be the same every time :D

I take chlorphenamine with my dihydrocodeine. I also take some lyrica in staggered doses and maybe a couple diazapam. But i usually only take the diazapam on days in not taking opiates/opiods. Not good for the respitory depression.

As already mentioned. Hydroxazine also would be gud.

U know the drill. Start a new mix low. See how it affects you. Then take it from there.

Take care friend. :)

I take chlorphenamine with my dihydrocodeine. I also take some lyrica in staggered doses and maybe a couple diazapam. But i usually only take the diazapam on days in not taking opiates/opiods. Not good for the respitory depression.

As already mentioned. Hydroxazine also would be gud.

U know the drill. Start a new mix low. See how it affects you. Then take it from there.

Take care friend. :)
Hey thanks for ur message might not try Hydroxazine aswell since people said it reduces the euphoria aswell. I got some Lyrica aswell do you take it on days with Opioids aswell ? I got Restless Legs and mild anxiety disorder, wonder if i could take Lyrica low dose ( dont wanna gain weight) with codeine, How much do you take?

Oh ok i got i understand it now thanks, Would a Dopamine reuptake inhibitor increase the duration of the dopamine being in the receptor from the codeine, if you take it after the codeine or before?

The pharmacology of opioids is way more complicated than "they make you release dopamine".
"Dopamine reuptake inhibitors" refers to stimulants like cocaine or methylphenidate (ritalin) that are euphoric on their own. Basically, if you had coke, you probably wouldn't be using it to "potentiate codeine", and the jitteryness from the ritalin would probably get in the way of the sedation ("the nod") that people are usually looking for when they're doing opioids. Not to mention that the coke/opioid combo ("speedball") has killed plenty of people because coke wears off much quicker than most opioids - people end up doing so much heroin that they stop breathing once the coke is no longer keeping their heart pumping.

Re: Using lyrica: The appropriate dose very much depends on your personal level of tolerance and individual brain chemistry. I've never used it recreationally, but just from using my prescribed dose over the years I have arrived at a point where I can take 600mg and barely feel it, while others will start getting dizzy and seeing double from their first 75mg pill.
I mean... pregabalin is a relatively safe and effective potentiator for various downers and painkillers, but the "ideal" dose is really a very individual thing.

Benzodiazepines are more recreational than lyrica but they're also far more addictive; indeed, people generally have more problems overcoming a benzo addiction than a codeine or even heroin addiction, so I would be reeeal careful about using those (there's also the issue that while it is unlikely to overdose on benzodiazepines alone, they greatly increase the chances of OD'ing on opioids).

Regarding antihistamines... diphenhydramine has the advantage of being over-the-counter, but people have also been using various common prescription drugs like mirtazapine for the same purpose. Trazodone barely has any actual antihistaminergic effects, but feels very similar to one due to its combination of 5HT2x- and alpha1 antagonism.
Be aware though: While antihistamines aren't inherently addictive, a certain tolerance does build over time, which limits their useful dosage range somewhat - at high doses, such drugs often show anticholinergic effects, which leads to delirium (and not the good kind of delirium, more like "spiderspiderspiders everywhere!!1!" kind of delirium) and all sorts of fuckups in your autonomous nervous system (cardiac arrythmia, inability to shit or piss, hyperthermia...). Some antihistaminergic drugs also inhibit the reuptake of serotonin, which could also produce undesirable effects especially in people who are already on antidepressants. Others block adrenaline ("alpha 1") receptors, which may lead to a dangerous drop in blood pressure. And, as I said, too much dopamine antagonism is generally a bad thing too.

So, whatever you do, stay safe :)

I take my standard prescibed dose of 150mg lyrica twice a day. Which is max dose for fibromyalgia. But some days i will take more if i have it. They say codeine/dihydrocodine is converted into morphine at an equivalence of 0.1 per mg. So i take 3, 30 mg tabs. 2 or 3 times a day. so i always have around 9mg oral morphine equevilant per dose.

You can take more lyrica than this in staggeed doses with your codine. I would say for you. Try 300mg lyrica broken into staggered doses with your codeine. Start there and see how u feel. Then if u ok. Increase lyrica by 150mg after a while. I wouldn't go beyond 900mg lyrica in a day TBH. For risk of seizure.

Some people seem to be able to take alot more lyrica than this. But as safety and harm reduction are the main focus here i would advise against it.

So to answer your question directly. Yes it is ok to take these 2 medications together. Just start at a low combined dosage. stagger your doses.

If you already have a lyrica tolerance you could start higher. but otherwise don't

Re: Using lyrica: The appropriate dose very much depends on your personal level of tolerance and individual brain chemistry. I've never used it recreationally, but just from using my prescribed dose over the years I have arrived at a point where I can take 600mg and barely feel it, while others will start getting dizzy and seeing double from their first 75mg pill.
I mean... pregabalin is a relatively safe and effective potentiator for various downers and painkillers, but the "ideal" dose is really a very individual thing.

This point from hodor is very relevant here. so bear it in mind when taking my personal experience into consideration.

Best of luck friend
:D

Hodors post is spot on ^ (agreed point)

This thread should really be merged w/ an antihistamine thread, if that's the pri
ar purpose, but the dopamine side is a bit off point

Thanks for all the answers :D gonna try some Lyrica 25 mg at first with some Codeine to see if lil anxiety goes away with it / or if it feels better that way

edit: Just read some articles in my native language that Dipenhydramine works on 5HT + 5HT2A ( i think it was ) + μ,δ, κ ( Opioid Recepteors thus Increasing Morphines strength didnt know that one ) guess im gonna try that too 50 mg diphenhydramine would be fine or too much Pill cant be broken in the middle :-/

Last edited:
Took it today with 50 mg diphenhydramine then after 1 hr 100 mg codeine, DPH feels like garbage but with the Codeine it feels way more chill & less anxiety. Might try it with Lyrica low dose aswell + Codeine if that would be even better maybe?

Its fine to take antihistamines, codeine and lyrica together. I have been as Directed by neurologist and dermatologist for a long time. If you are very new to taking lyrica then taking at 25 or 50mg is very safe. I would even say 150mg split in 3, 50mg doses would be fine.

I get the feeling you havn't been taking lyrica for long so when i said start at 300mg i would reduce that to 150mg in split doses. The good thing about lyrica is that as long as you'r not exceeding 600mg PD then your tolerance will develop quite slowly. So 150mg can go a long way for someone just starting out with the drug. But if u wish in the future. You can safely go to 300mg PD. If you don't suffer any ill effects from the lower dose.

Like i stated in my previous post. I have been taking 300mg lyrica, 270mg dihydrocodeine and between 12 and 24 mg of Chlorphenamine Depending on severity of my symptoms. I take the dihydrocodeine every other day to slow tolerance. On the days i dont take the opiods i take 10 - 15mg Diazapam. Sometimes i will take 5 - 10 mg on an opiod day. Again i don't recommend this. Its basicly like drinking alchohol. With a whole bunch of pills. A big no no.

I know u never mentioned taking diazapam or alcohol. Just thought id throw that out there for safety purposes.

So. U should be fine with the antihistamines, codeine and lyrica.

Be safe buddy. :)

Yeah took some benzos months ago Xanax and some lorazepam for 20-30 Days, stopped my alcohol addiction 9 Months ago. Took some Lyrica 50 mg now ( not feeling anything though or might kick in later ). Might take some dhc later aswell kinda scared to go to 150 mg lyrica though on daily base i dont want to gain weight in terms of Water, or whatever its called in English i think you know what i mean :D

Its fine to take antihistamines, codeine and lyrica together. I have been as Directed by neurologist and dermatologist for a long time. If you are very new to taking lyrica then taking at 25 or 50mg is very safe. I would even say 150mg split in 3, 50mg doses would be fine.

I get the feeling you havn't been taking lyrica for long so when i said start at 300mg i would reduce that to 150mg in split doses. The good thing about lyrica is that as long as you'r not exceeding 600mg PD then your tolerance will develop quite slowly. So 150mg can go a long way for someone just starting out with the drug. But if u wish in the future. You can safely go to 300mg PD. If you don't suffer any ill effects from the lower dose.

Like i stated in my previous post. I have been taking 300mg lyrica, 270mg dihydrocodeine and between 12 and 24 mg of Chlorphenamine Depending on severity of my symptoms. I take the dihydrocodeine every other day to slow tolerance. On the days i dont take the opiods i take 10 - 15mg Diazapam. Sometimes i will take 5 - 10 mg on an opiod day. Again i don't recommend this. Its basicly like drinking alchohol. With a whole bunch of pills. A big no no.

I know u never mentioned taking diazapam or alcohol. Just thought id throw that out there for safety purposes.

So. U should be fine with the antihistamines, codeine and lyrica.

Be safe buddy. :)

Do you know if i would gain weight by 50 mg Lyrica a day? Didnt find anything in Google.... but it might be too low - of a dose to be helpful ...the 50 mg felt like the anxiety pressure is abit OFF like from 2-3 Beers i guess or Placebo... And benzos long term would suck too i guess