• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Is there anything that compares to the Red Bud and Columbian Gold of the 70s?

I think the desire for this is a case of rose-tinted glasses. The worst poorly grown stuff you can get today (We call it "English" over here) is the equivalent to the colombian gold of the 70s.

green tinted glasses

Here (the netherlands) they still sell thai in the shops. But we went from having mexican , columbian , and jamaican weed (native/uncontaminated strains)in the coffeshops to just thai and hash if you are looking for a more mellow experience. I enjoy smoking it from time to time but usually go for hash causie it's cheaper and more available and I can smoke it inside without fuss.
ain
there is a destruction of literally ancient strains taking place in the outdoor cannabis growing scene , strains which are hundreds of years old (or thousands like the north africane being replaced with amsterdam hybrids)

More thc for less plant material is beneficial if you are not vaping/eating your greens but cbd is responisble for many positive health effects such as anti-inflammatory action and for pain and cramps. So these old strains definatively have their uses , they are the only stuff I would give to somebody who has no experience with cannabis.

Anyway If you had high-grade for cheap all your life like my generation ie Netherlands the interest for these strains will come back I think just like people start boozing at 18 and then kinda straighten out and just need a glass of wine from a specific region in their day (not worerying about it's potency/cost ratio like the bums/alcoholics do with beer)

Last edited:
I've heard the same thing about lower quality, and mid-grade quality Mexican herb that was around everywhere in the 90s. The stuff was OK to smoke when that's all that was around and the high quality herb was extremely rare; but the last time I had some decades ago I just made edibles with it.

I know other people who would take the seeds from it and grow higher quality herb, than the herb the seeds came from.
You might make the weed a little better by keeping the female from being pollunated so she concentrates on pumping out thc instead of seeds ,but you can't shine shit. You will only get as good a quality as the genetics of the seed allows. What I'm trying to say is you can't get it much better waste of time in my opinion!

some of those original landrace strains still exist but even if you were to get seed or clone and grow it yourself, it won't be the same.... the air the plant breathes, the water, the food, the sun, curing all contributes to the taste and characteristics of that bud... so you have to get some from columbia, maybe take a trip down there or find a penpal, it's supply and demand so there is no demand for it here so no supply..... i haven't seen anyone reply with recommendations of actual places to get seeds or clones that might have some of the original strain mixed in (most anything you would find today is hybrid) but i did see Barney's Farm Acapulco Gold which i want to try... also saw World of Seeds has a Columbian Gold but haven't tried that either... Drchronic.com has those seed banks and a few other strains i saw on there are Panama Red and Hawaiian..... probably the closest you will find next to a trip to south america :)

A lot of people have been saying that cultivation methods have not significantly changed during this time period. And that is true. But the availability of information and equipment has sky rocketed making growing the best weed under the best conditions possible.
It's like saying that even though the information in encyclopedias hasn't changed that much since 1970 to know, Wikipedia is not a stronger source of information than what was available before.
It's not about what you have at your disposal, it's about how easy it is to access it.
By this definition alone, the prevelance of high quality high thc weed is much higher than in the past.