• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Is there any way to raise brain serotonin without SSRIs to treat OCD/Depression

Timrodriguez22

Greenlighter
I have bad OCD and depression. The only thing that gets rid of the thoughts is lexapro. But i hate the sexual side effects. I figured you guys would be the experts to ask and I'd do anything to not go on an SSRI again. I do 45 min cardio every day, I use a light box in the morning, and I try to get massages as frequently as possible.

Is there anything else I can do to raise brain serotonin without taking those SSRI's? Ive read about 5-htp and tryptophan but there doesnt seem to ne any conclusive evidence whether they work and which particular cofactors are needed to cross the BBB.

Please any help would just be amazing.

From Efficacy and Acceptability of Pharmacological Treatments for Depressive Disorders in Primary Care: Systematic Review and Network Meta-Analysis:

In network meta-analysis, tricyclic and tetracyclic antidepressants (TCAs), selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), a serotonin-noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor (SNRI; venlafaxine), a low-dose serotonin antagonist and reuptake inhibitor (SARI; trazodone) and hypericum extracts were found to be significantly superior to placebo, with estimated odds ratios between 1.69 and 2.03. There were no statistically significant differences between these drug classes. Reversible inhibitors of monoaminoxidase A (rMAO-As) and hypericum extracts were associated with significantly fewer dropouts because of adverse effects compared with TCAs, SSRIs, the SNRI, a noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor (NRI), and noradrenergic and specific serotonergic antidepressant agents (NaSSAs).

I'm not aware of any reversible MAO-A inhibitors available in the US. "Hypericum extracts" are St. John's wort supplements. Both of these drug therapies increase serotonin neurotransmission by completely different mechanisms from each other and from SSRIs.

Edit: I have no clue how rMAO-A inhibitors would affect OCD. You'd obviously want to speak with a psychiatrist if you plan to change drug therapies though.

Last edited:
What about using 5-htp and EGCG or whatever its called from green tea extract? Do you think that could significantly boost serotonin levels?

I think EGCGs are anti-oxidants that are not relevant to this and 5-HTP afaik often fails to affect serotonin action or levels significantly because supplying precursors to a neurotransmitter in the brain usually does not have that much effect on the levels which are governed by equilibria. The purpose of 5-HTP, I would say, is to ensure that the brain at least has access to enough tryptophan to synthesize new serotonin so that natural levels can be restored. Unnatural levels are not so easily reached without drugs that work on transporters (to the effect of reuptake inhibition...).

And on a sidenote, psychoactive effect of green tea mostly comes from L-theanine and theanines attenuation of xanthine effects, I think. I have pure L-theanine which is a wonderful substance, it does not work significantly on everybody and takes a while to take effect, but it can be a very warm GHB like glow that combats anxiety without making me sedated. If you get it, buy powder and not capsules anywhere which are routinely overpriced.

For the sake of someone very close to me, yeah I am dying to know of a good alternative to SSRIs for OCD+depression! If she didn't drink then perhaps I would see if tianeptine were an option though perhaps not properly indicated or conventional for it, or I might suggest Lyrica for the very closely related anxiety dynamics. But BL is not a place for actual psychiatric care, keep that in mind.

Last edited: