• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Is there *any* way around SSRI and psychedelics?

velmwend

Bluelighter
Okay. So, in March I wasn't taking anti-drepressants and i had a smashin time with 1p-lsd.

Then..I had to start a course of duoloxetine (60mg per day)

Then...I took some more 1p-lsd and...

it was shit. I felt tired, grubby, no visuals, just a bit stimmy and bored, then came down and felt irritable.

Da,m you SNRIs.

Is there any way at all of avoiding the crappiness between psycheelics and SRRIs/SNRIs? Any methods to lessen to blunting of effects?

I do need the duloxetine, it gives me focus, confidence, and allows me to gain success...but I miss the psychedelics.,

pleeeease help! :(

SSRIs cause the serotonin receptor that is responsible for the psychedelic effects of LSD-like compounds (5-HT2A) to downregulate. There is no way around that -- if the receptor is missing then there is nothing you can do besides discontinue the SSRI and wait a few weeks.

A lot of people (myself included) can still trip fine on SSRIs, you just sometimes need a larger dose.

A lot of people (myself included) can still trip fine on SSRIs, you just sometimes need a larger dose.

Truth. When I was on them (and it was a vast variety tried over a fairly long period) and I experienced no subjective difference in effects. Perhaps a slight decrease in effects but that can be nullified. LSD in particular did not suffer this at all.

I guess this really indicates how different everyones physiology can be.

My younger sister takes zoloft & recently succesfully had her first LSD trip (well not a "full" trip but only took roughly 100ug, slightly under a full tab & the stuff we got around is supposed to be 125ug)

The only way is to find an alternative treatment plan, plenty of which do exist if you're willing to dig.

The only way is to find an alternative treatment plan, plenty of which do exist if you're willing to dig.

Did you ignore the comments from me and another guy who just said you CAN trip on SSRIs??

I'll admit that I only got visuals the first time I did shrooms out of I think maybe 6 times total and felt that I probably would have usually required a larger dose to get visuals and that my SSRI did diminish them, but I still tripped hard each time, and tripped hard several times on LSD.

SSRIs are only something that SOMETIMES but do not always diminish SOME of the effects of SOME psychedelics, depending on which SSRI you are on, the dose, the type and dose of the psychedelic and your own personal physiology.

This idea that you can't trip on SSRIs is just false.

Weirdly, I tried half a dose of 1p-lsd last night (about 50mcg) and it worked ok. The only differences I made is the time of day I took it. I normally drop late at night but this time I dropped at 6.30pm just after a short nap AND I'd had some phenibut earlier that morning.

Weird but true. Gonna try 4-aco-dmt next. Maybe repeat the same pattern: bit of phenibut early on, nap, drop at 6.30pm. see how it goes.

Did you ignore the comments from me and another guy who just said you CAN trip on SSRIs??

I'll admit that I only got visuals the first time I did shrooms out of I think maybe 6 times total and felt that I probably would have usually required a larger dose to get visuals and that my SSRI did diminish them, but I still tripped hard each time, and tripped hard several times on LSD.

SSRIs are only something that SOMETIMES but do not always diminish SOME of the effects of SOME psychedelics, depending on which SSRI you are on, the dose, the type and dose of the psychedelic and your own personal physiology.

This idea that you can't trip on SSRIs is just false.
Your experience isn't really the point. The desensitization level varies from person to person depending on SSRI, dose and physiology. Some people won't experience a substantial reduction in their response. But other people end up becoming unresponsive, and increasing the dose won't completely compensate for the decreased response in those individuals. You can't take your experience and apply it to everyone else.

Last edited:
Your experience isn't really the point. The desensitization level varies from person to person depending on SSRI, dose and physiology. Some people won't experience a substantial reduction in their response. But other people end up becoming unresponsive, and increasing the dose won't completely compensate for the decreased response in those individuals. You can't take your experience and apply it to everyone else.

It's more though that that particular poster Seemed to be phrasing it in such a way as if to say that FOR EVERYONE there is only one solution, which is not taking SSRIs to begin with, which just isn't true for everyone.

But fair enough.

I HAVE noticed that I probably respond less to psychedelics because of my SSRI but I am GUESSING (never tried for sure) that increased dose will most likely make me trip harder.

Most people who have had this problem on here seem to agree that that is quite often a solution.

Last edited:
My girlfriend is on a shitton of SSRIs of various flavors. She has found that not only do her trips never fully reach a +3, getting to +2 requires a heck of a lot of whatever she's taking - I mean doses that would be considered foolish for most people. The duration of effects is also reduced somewhat.

Interestingly, tryptamines seem to have more of an effect on her, and produce effects at lower doses than phenethylamines. 4-HO-MiPT and the various compounds in mushrooms are able to occasionally get her up into +3 territory, but she has not been able to sample any other tryptamines. That makes it hard to say whether the trend of greater effects holds true across the whole class of compounds.

Last edited:
This is why when I get another chance to take shrooms I'm going to take a quarter rather than an eighth.

Everyone else always had me only take an eighth cause that was what was good for them but I only got visuals the first time so it's not enough for me.

That being said most of my friends usually said that the majority of people don't usually get visuals off shrooms so maybe its not ONLY my SSRI but I do think it decreased my visuals but it certainly didn't decrease the mental aspects of the trip.

Try Tianeptine, a highly atypical antidepresssant. Studies show that it is as effective as SSRIs for not too severe depressions, it has lesser side effects and it should not interfere with psychedelics.

I took a high dose of LSD while on a low dose of daily prozac, and I still tripped very hard. It's also like this for lots of other people who have combined an SSRI with a psychedelic drug.

But I did take some mushrooms before while I was not on an SSRI at all and I tripped fine on the 1.5g but my tripping buddy did not trip nearly as hard on 1.5g of dried mushrooms as I did but he was on the SSNRI Effexor.

Back when I was on 100mg sertraline, a double dose of LSD did little but make the walls fuzzy on and off during the 'peaks'. Otherwise, it was ineffextive., while my buddy had a full on 9hr trip.

It's hard to knock off those ssris from the 5-HT receptors without causing damage. The best method for getting the desirable effects from psychedelics on a SSRI'd brain, is to abstain and let the brains own enzymes and synapse sweepers to clean the receptors naturally over time.