• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Is there any safe dose of DXM w/ meth?

chicken hoagie

Bluelighter
I have looked at some past discussions on here on this topic, and im just looking for a clearer answer here.

I used a VERY small amount of meth (today), doing just a light bag rinse. I 'did' get a slight rush, but nothing crazy, and also ingested a .5mg xanax. I am aware of serotonin syndrome risks and cardio risks when combining the two, but how risky is this combination exactly?

The reason I am asking is NOT to abuse the Dex! 😂 I am talking doses like 400mg or less of DXM; got a case of fucking RSV guys. Nasty ass city bus stations i swear to god. Either that, or this ice i had was contaminated which is so gross to think about all of the nasty dealers' hands that probably touch that shit.

400mg's of DXM are 4 times above the therapeutical window for cough and definitely 'abuse' territory.

I did 100-150mg (sometimes 300mg) of DXM together with 18mg XR methylphenidate, and the result was a beautiful, very relaxed, spaced-out stimulation which was great for the work I was doing at that time (in gastronomy). The downside was in fact cardiac side effects, at least I do assume it was that, I developed an angina pectoris like heartburn after some months and eventually had to stop it because of this. Went to see a doc without telling him about the DXM and he told me it was stomach acid, that I should take an antacid but it didn't help me. These liquid magnesium bags did work though, so I'm really not sure whether it was cardiac or not. One or two years later did I DXM again, that time alone, and the heartburn came back to some extent but resolved itself and didn't happen anymore.

Yeah, the problem with meth & DXM is serotonin. I think with a low dose of meth and some time in-between you'll be alright with low doses of DXM but this is no free ticket to do 400mg's! I'd recommendto taper up from 50-100mg, wait for 1-2 hours at least, then if everything's fine and you're not feeling hot, nauseous or yawning frequently, dose next 50-100mg's until you've reached your level.

400mg's of DXM are 4 times above the therapeutical window for cough and definitely 'abuse' territory.

I did 100-150mg (sometimes 300mg) of DXM together with 18mg XR methylphenidate, and the result was a beautiful, very relaxed, spaced-out stimulation which was great for the work I was doing at that time (in gastronomy). The downside was in fact cardiac side effects, at least I do assume it was that, I developed an angina pectoris like heartburn after some months and eventually had to stop it because of this. Went to see a doc without telling him about the DXM and he told me it was stomach acid, that I should take an antacid but it didn't help me. These liquid magnesium bags did work though, so I'm really not sure whether it was cardiac or not. One or two years later did I DXM again, that time alone, and the heartburn came back to some extent but resolved itself and didn't happen anymore.

Yeah, the problem with meth & DXM is serotonin. I think with a low dose of meth and some time in-between you'll be alright with low doses of DXM but this is no free ticket to do 400mg's! I'd recommendto taper up from 50-100mg, wait for 1-2 hours at least, then if everything's fine and you're not feeling hot, nauseous or yawning frequently, dose next 50-100mg's until you've reached your level.
What are the associations with yawning? Just curious

I did roughly 360mg of extended release. The xanax kept everything level. My heart palpitations i had days earlier i figured was from initially contracting RSV, and my heart wondering wtf was invading the bloodstream. But they have gone away since. Im also out of ice, which is a great thing. Time for a nice break. I have been wanting one, it can just be hard when you know you have it on you or can get it and have money. I will probably continue using lower recreational range doses of dxm(i found the kids delsym doesnt contain any allergens and is quite a decent amount of pure DXM xr!) to augment any residual depressive symptoms since i dont have access to any other good NMDA antagonists like ket or mxe. It may help me get off of my suboxone as well🤷🏽‍♂️

What are the associations with yawning? Just curious
I read that yawning was a method to cool the brain when it overheats. Doesn't sound very effective to me but it's that way. Frequent yawning can be due to other factors like opioid withdrawal though but in combination with DXM it might be a symptom of early serotonin syndrom. I got it when combining DXM with fluoxetine (don't do that).

How much buprenorphine are you taking? NMDA antagonists are indeed good at lowering tolerance to opioids, the research chem deschloroketamine allowed me to jump off 4mg bupe which I had been taking for around a year and the Alzheimer one memantine allowed me to get off morphine without really going through withdrawal.

Benzodiazepines like Xanax are indeed a good add-on to DXM (as long as you're using them sparely enough for not to develop tolerance/dependency), they will blunt the high somewhat but can amoreliate possible NMDA antagonist induced toxicity (something which is debated and not even confirmed to happen in human unless serious dissociative abuse, in a study they found anomalies visible on MRI in users taking 0.5g or more of ketamine for half a year or more. Stimulants unfortunately seem to exacerbate this but keep in mind, we are talking about serious dosages of both, 360mg XR DXM are likely too little to cause any damage even if taken for longer times.

Maybe interesting to know that just very recently a combo product named Auvelity, containing DXM and the antidepressant/cathinone bupropion - the latter was added to change the metabolism of DXM by inhibiting both CYP2D6 and 3A4, thus leading to higher levels of DXM. I tried this combo by coincidence many years ago and liked it much, that way 100mg DXM are enough to cause substantial intoxication/dissociation while being also remarkably clear headed and stimulating. The approval of said product is imo evidence for the safety of DXM in low dosages.

Yes that would be an amazing combo apart from the excess norepinephrine from both drugs. But the concept of an SSRI with NMDA antagonism for good measure, and actually dopamine reuptake for good measure as well..pretty well covers any problem with low monoamine levels, if that is whats causing somebody's depression or whatever it is theyre dealing with.

I've done 400-600mg DXM trips & then smoked a shit ton of meth a few hours in, probably at least 5 times in the past couple of years.
Mostly by accident, because I thought I was gonna have a boring mundane evening & would take the DXM & then some one would hit me up wanting to party.
And of course I couldn't say no. So I would stupidly go out & do it anyway.

I was fine tho & didn't even get any serotonin-syndrome side effects (which is weird, since I get them from taking normal doses of antidepressants these days).
I got convulsions once from mixing DXM with venlafaxine. So it seems like DXM + SSRI's are worse than DXM + Serotonin Releasers. But that's just my experience.

But this of course doesn't mean it was safe. There's no telling what it did to me internally. Though I've had my brain & heart looked at within the last year & some how they were 'normal'. lol

This probably isn't much help, but I think you'd be okay. Especially if you have benzos & opioids on hand in case things go wrong.

I find the meth pretty much sobers you up from the DXM anyway & the "trippyness" aspect of the DXM disappears. You basically just go from a DXM trip to feeling like you're on meth. A little bit of tachychardia here & there. There's also this weird "burnt out brain" (it's the only way I can describe it) type feeling that accompanies it. And my vision will feel like everything is extremely saturated. I have a feeling it's related to sigma receptors, since both meth & DXM are Sigma agonists & I feel this 'burnt out, extreme saturation" type feeling on DXM & meth by themselves. But it becomes even more pronounced when combined.

I think there use to be fake XTC pills back in the day that had meth + DXM in them.

I can't recommend anyone try this combo because it's extremely risky. It's also not really worth it for those who might be wanting to do it for enhanced effects. The meth definitely overpowers the DXM & only slight DXM effects will remain. Best to just do one or the other if you can.

But if some one's gonna do it, it's best to start low & make sure you have downers on hand in case it becomes too much.
Please be careful friend! And feel better!
Cheers!

Last edited:
There's also this weird "burnt out brain" (it's the only way I can describe it) type feeling that accompanies it. And my vision will feel like everything is extremely saturated. I have a feeling it's related to sigma receptors, since both meth & DXM are Sigma agonists & I feel this 'burnt out, extreme saturation" type feeling on DXM & meth by themselves. But it becomes even more pronounced when combined.
Sigma receptors are still a big mysteria. I once acquired a box of noscapine (an opium alkaloid which is a selective sigmaergic and has, according to wikipedia, a history of abuse) and ended up taking the whole box with absolutely zero effects. Like pentoxyverine, another sigmaergic antitussive. We had PRE-084 or similar available from research chem suppliers which apparently behaved as an antidepressant in animal trials but I couldn't find a trustable vendor carrying it so I didn't come to try that one.

I think I know that saturated vision, it usually comes with some of the weirder feelings of DXM afterglow, and too theorized whether it might be due to sigma. But so far there is little evidence for sigma to be that psychoactive afaik.

Sigma receptors are still a big mysteria. I once acquired a box of noscapine (an opium alkaloid which is a selective sigmaergic and has, according to wikipedia, a history of abuse) and ended up taking the whole box with absolutely zero effects. Like pentoxyverine, another sigmaergic antitussive. We had PRE-084 or similar available from research chem suppliers which apparently behaved as an antidepressant in animal trials but I couldn't find a trustable vendor carrying it so I didn't come to try that one.

I think I know that saturated vision, it usually comes with some of the weirder feelings of DXM afterglow, and too theorized whether it might be due to sigma. But so far there is little evidence for sigma to be that psychoactive afaik.
Sigma could possibly cause a cascade effect leading to increased binding of ligands to receptors like kappa opioid or maybe more NMDA antagonism? Who knows.