• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Is there a prescription drug to help with meth withdrawals?

DeafJet

Greenlighter
Does any one know of or use a prescription drug to help with meth withdrawals? :? if so, please share ty.

Modafinil for the treatment of methamphetamine dependence.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21840138

in the big rehab here, the one called warrenella, used to mainly treat opiate inpatients. these days they mainly have meth inpatients.
And they actually have a detox method specifically designed for meth.

they pump u like 200-400mg modafinal everyday to combat the wd's of meth like chronic fatigue etc.

is that something you have to go to rehab for? is there anything like a tablet?

Ritalin and/or Dexamphetamine would help, depending on your definition of the word.

If you can, get to a GP and explain what you're experiencing. They can refer you to a psychiatrist who will be able to prescribe you with anti-psychotics (Olanzapine/zyprexa, Quetiapine/seroquel) along with other mood stabilizing drugs if they deem it safe, they think it's not just a replacement for a possible habit you may have and if it's necessary for what you are experiencing. You don't have to be admitted to a rehab clinic or psych ward to get a script for these drugs I've mentioned. The anti psychs along with abstaining from using do help for meth psychosis (I'm not sure what you're going through but they worked for the psychosis I was experiencing).

IMO try not to get on Dexys man. They're a pharmaceutical stimulant, therefore very pure which may intensify the withdrawal symptoms you are feeling. I went through a "get on the Dexys to get off the meth" stage. Pretty stupid thinking of me. It made shit worse than when I was just on the shard dude.

No not specifically. Meth with drawl sucks but much of it is psychological. My best advice: live a healthy life, eat well, do something physically draining like take up a sport you once enjoyed, surfing, skating, martial arts, football, soccer whatever. As above poster has mentioned go to a GP and then a psychiatrist. This will help in the short term. Believe me you don't want to be on seroquel etc for the rest of your life it unless you have a true mental health disorder. All the best with quitting and your new life lovepsy.

A big dose of harden the fuck up will help. You/we/I put ourselves in this position so don't try to escape out lightly. Do the hard yards

The evidence for modafinil is pretty weak - I wouldn't be hanging too much on that one.

Basically - your brain has adapted to your meth use by reducing the number of dopamine receptors ("pruning") and lessening the effect of dopamine at those receptors ("deactivation"). Once you stop, it just takes time for your brain to readjust. Not much you can do about that apart from the healthy living tips above

Although maybe you mean withdrawals as in recovery in the week after using? I've been using l-tyrosine caps for a day or 2 after a big weekend. It's a dopamine precursor and I find it improves my mood immeasurably

baclofen has been used for stimulant withdrawal, no idea if it works or not.

you only get any sign of physical withdrawals for maby a week max and there minor, the problem with meth is the mental cravings and unfortunately the only way to stop that is learning to deal with them but that is harder said then done my brother is 15 years clean still has his bad days

The evidence for modafinil is pretty weak - I wouldn't be hanging too much on that one.

I have tried modafil for this purpose and found it fairly lacklustre, although it helps me with the concentration side of things. What I have found useful is a supplement called Citicoline. You can just buy it online. It seems to help suppress the urges for me and smooth out the crash. But of course ymmv. Good luck.

here is a new drug on the market that you get through private clinics, ibudilast treats both heroin and meth addictions. The public clinic doctors know of it (at least the seniors do) but we're a good couple years behind the US when it comes to this revolutionary new treatment.

The irony is that an Australia was one of the core people involved in the study that discovered this.

This drug is showing great promise. Its even believed it can help MS and HIV suffers (who are also addicted to heroin).

You can read about this drug here (the context here is opioids but it can treat meth....plus MS apparently).

edit: call around the private clinics and see if any of them know of it and are prescribing it)

Thanks for the link (and apols in the delay in responding). I've read about TLR4 proteins before while investigating how Naltrexone worked (ironically I was looking for something to help meth addiction) but not about glial activation. That was a great summary paper. Props to you chugs!

I'll be keeping a close eye on the progress of the two chems being trialed (i.e. Propentofylline and Ibudilast) and maybe even investigating how I can get my hands on some (Vets apparently have Propentofylline..hmmm).

I'm prescribed modafinil for other things. It's a bit complicated, but I definitely find it helps me be a functional human without needing to 'self-medicate' with other substances.

That said, I can't say if it would be effective for someone whose purpose for indulging was 'getting high' etc.

Ritalin and/or Dexamphetamine would help, depending on your definition of the word.

BINGO!!! I'm one of those lucky campers who was fortunate enough to convince my psychiatrist that I'm ADHD, the truth is I actually am ADHD and was untreated for this bastard affliction well into my late thirty's, that's why I became such a terrible meth over user, "I don't feel high I fucking feel normal', meth makes me feel normal, if you could get something and take it to make you feel like what everyone else in the world feels like normally and makes you a better person even if only its fleeting, anyway yeah the best shit for methamphetamine withdrawal symptoms is dexamphetamine, kinda like waking up with a really bad hangover and drinking mid strength beers to perk yourself up, hair of the dog lol, kinda pointless telling you that anyway because no doctor ever will prescribe dex for this purpose but it really works!

Ok im one of the people who uses a lot of meth but it doesn't make me feel normal, it fries me and makes it easier to forget all the horrible things that have occurred or that ive caused in my life. I honestly think if I got dexamphetamine id probably kill myself not long after. I binge, im not an everyday user and when I do use everyday for a period of time I sleep, eat lots and take vitamins to ensure my bodily functions stay as close to normal as possible.

Im sure soon enough there will be good meds for meth addicts but I don't agree with dex as a replacement. Meth isn't heroin, im on methadone and the comparison between meth/dex & H/methadone is so so far away and completely unrelated. Prescribing dex for meth addicts doesn't make sense. With methadone its all about the withdrawals and also the fact that methadone isn't detrimental to your physical health in the way that stimulants are.

l-Tyrosine is an excellent option for people who feel they have damaged their receptors through constant meth use. I haven't tried it yet but im buying a tub tomorrow and from what the tub says it has the potential to repair and reboot your dopamine and for people like us that can only be a good thing.

Im no doctor but I don't agree with dex as a replacement for anyone except for the absolute worst addicts around, like people using 1g+ a day.