• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Is the internet here to join us together or separate us? Is it our choice what the end game is?

Will the internet become the new Babylon (tower of confusion) or a "Paradise" of sorts?

• It is tearing us apart

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • It is bringing us together

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • In time it will be our savior (AI)

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • In time it will destroy us (AI)

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • WTF are you takin about, man?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too old to care gtf

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Depends on how it is used (

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

Lil'LinaptkSix

Moderator: H&R, TL
Staff member
I see the static about left/right, vote this vote that, buy this or think this way. Blah Blah surrounds us on all sides. Mostly all media sources not just the interwebz....
Do you think the internet is being used to separate us more than bring us together?
I mean this is something I personally feel we can control. I would like to see the world village but some would rather the old school separate and conquer technique.
I feel this may belong here more than tech because our lives may depend on this unless I am just trippin.
Move the thread wherever it fits

Depends on who we are. If we use the internet to gain information or learn a new hobby or communicate with our family overseas then it brings us together and opens our minds to all kinds of wonderful topics. I will age myself but I had to go to the Library to gather all these facts and info and the only way we could communicate is by phone or pop a letter in the Post office. The internet can be a wonderful thing for the disabled that can't get out ( online shopping ). It can be a lonely persons best friend. It can also make us much more aware of the world around us.

On the other hand it can be a destroyer in the wrong persons hands. Haters, bigots, and miserable souls use the internet to hurt other people because misery loves company. It can be used to bully people and doxx people and ruin peoples lives. In the wrong hands the internet is a weapon like anything else. Words cut deep. Much more than people think.

I use the internet to hassle Bluelighters , order Chewy and pay my bills. That's really the extent of my computer use. Damn, I aged myself big time. :Mario party:

Gov brings (to me) ideas of ruling and keeping the populous down on their knees.
In what context do you post this, please?
It'll become a worldwide bureaucracy that controls the flow of information and money (digital), and if you share information that is against the beliefs of that bureaucracy then you'll get punished by restrictions to your money and other resources. It'll be like a digital dark age where you can find 13th century diaries of rulers in a library, but won't be able to find on the internet simple news stories from 5 years ago, or scientific discoveries that hurt the profits of global corporations like drug companies because they got censored. There will be the ruling class and the peasant class, nothing in between on the future internet, imo. All of our wealth and assets will be digitized so we can be controlled by the internet rulers

I should write a book that takes place in the year 2245 or something

Depends on who we are. If we use the internet to gain information or learn a new hobby or communicate with our family overseas then it brings us together and opens our minds to all kinds of wonderful topics. I will age myself but I had to go to the Library to gather all these facts and info and the only way we could communicate is by phone or pop a letter in the Post office. The internet can be a wonderful thing for the disabled that can't get out ( online shopping ). It can be a lonely persons best friend. It can also make us much more aware of the world around us.

On the other hand it can be a destroyer in the wrong persons hands. Haters, bigots, and miserable souls use the internet to hurt other people because misery loves company. It can be used to bully people and doxx people and ruin peoples lives. In the wrong hands the internet is a weapon like anything else. Words cut deep. Much more than people think.

I use the internet to hassle Bluelighters , order Chewy and pay my bills. That's really the extent of my computer use. Damn, I aged myself big time. :Mario party:

It's ok, just become transageual

thinking himself wise, scoffs at the ancient texts
most of any real ancient text has been destroyed in some form or fashion or hidden away. We have hive memory iirc and it can be useful.
They are a law unto themselves until they are not.

I'd say in general it's good for bringing people together. I mean just look at us here!

But yes it's also doing the exact opposite because it allows anyone a platform to spew hatred and ignorance. People get stuck in their little echo chambers where the algorithm caters to their personal prejudices and they're never confronted with any worldview that contradicts their own, blatant misinformation and the most moronic drivel go unchallenged and unchecked by reality etc etc.

I mean in some sections of society we've reached the stage where it's impossible to even have any sort of a meaningful disagreement over something, because you end up having to 'debate' the basic factual existence of the thing to be disagreed upon. When you get to a point where we don't even have a consensus on objective reality then something has clearly gone horribly wrong.

PS I wish you'd included the obvious option 'does both'. As with most tools, it depends on how you use it.

As with most tools, it depends on how you use it.
Quite right.
Instead of adding another choice I made poll unlimited choices. I have both tearing us apart and bringing us together checked for myself.

ed
another freaking paradox? :unsure:

It reflects us. But it also promotes certain traits, especially narcissism, which is generally the antithesis of the kind of healthy social behavior we all need to share a planet safely and productively.

The internet does everything and nothing, like atoms and molecules, because it is about anything and involved in everything.

It was created to tear us apart and in some ways they are succeeding, you only need to see how people are becoming more and more individualistic, focused on their own stuff, not depending on others (inor learning from their CLOSE peers) not worrying about the neighbour, and so on
it's true that in our hearts there's always the instance and instinct of getting together and doing the right thing, growing and learning... but the general public is very ego-driven, lost in the "wilderness of pain" and his own delusions,
Just seeing how passive the current society is behaving, almost no protests or anything, no demonstrations, like the civil society is dead,

Because of the internet i have pretty good friends in far away places like Australia, Sudan, Sweden, Oman, etc that i really couldnt keep in contact much less talk face to face with in any other way So i think it's overall a good thing that unites us.

However the problem is with how its used and how it's been co opted by big corporations.