View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Is the DXM 50 trip limit real?

brandonut99

Greenlighter
I just made my account so I don't know if this is the right place to post this or not.
But anyway I used to do DXM on the daily, usually with other drugs but sometimes by itself. I would literally eat about 10 60mg Mucinex a day and trip my ass off everyday. Well eventually the high slowly but surely stopped being fun. It would take longer to hit or I wouldn't feel the effects as much so I took a break. It kinda helped I was put on probation so stealing boxes on the daily wasn't the best idea. Eventually, 3 or so months later, I took about 16 Mucinex (60mg pills) and two bottles of some generic robo and barely felt anything but sick. I took a break for a couple months and stuck to pot and Xanax and anything else i could get his hands on. I looked into it and found out about the so called "50 trip limit" and was very fucking sad. Well one of my close friends showed up to my house one day with a bottle of Robottusin about 5 months after my last time with the mucinex. He had two bottles of Robo and 2 liter of Sprite. We drank it all while smoking a blunt and a couple cigarettes. A few hours later i couldn't believe it, I felt that robo pretty fucking good but still not like i used to. Either way i was happy i was tripping. A month or so later i decided to buy a box of mucinex instead of stealing it cause my girlfriend wanted to try it after hearing all the amazing stories I told her. We got a 14 pack of the 60mg MucinexDM, and both took 5, which is lower than my normal dose of 10 or so, but I thought it was a good starter for my girlfriend (since I started off with 4 for my first trip), and another friend that was with us took the other 4. A couple hours later i had to leave for work, leaving my girlfriend with a close friend that I trusted to sit for her so she wouldn't do something dumb or trip out. At work I couldn't believe it, I was tripping my brains out, like hardcore tripping off of only 5. It lasted all day, and it was very noticeable to my coworkers just from my eyes cause I can act very normal no matter what I'm tripping on (most of the time). But I read that people have taken like 10 year tolerance breaks and still didn't feel anything, like the dissociative high was basically gone forever. I know I must be above the 50 trip mark by now but after only 5 months of a break i was tripping like crazy again. I haven't done it again yet cause just the thought of those giant ass pills makes me gag, but i may go again and see what happens.

Sorry if this is a hella long post or in the wrong area, but I was just curious why this happened and if the whole 50 trip and you're done thing is real although everyone says it is.

I love Dxm and pot but iv never tripped? Idk i'v been pretty fucking high at times but I wanna know the limit 30mg every 10ml. I think ima buy some of them sleeping tablets 30mg promethazine and mix it up too. That a good idea? Not sure if o should post this here. Move me if so but help plz

Doing a drug produces short-term tolerance, so that you have to wait a period of time (generally at least a week) before the same dose will affect you the same, otherwise it will be weaker because your brain has built up tolerance. If you dose too often, you start to build up long-term tolerance, which takes a long time to go away. Dissociatives (like DXM) in general seem to produce long-term tolerance that takes a long time to go away, from frequent use. The longer of a break you take between trips on it, the better your trips will be. This is true of any drug.

What Xorkoth says is correct for mostly all drugs, except for dissos like DXM. Once you abuse of a disso (similar or way more than your case), if you wait, let say 6 months/1year tolerance almost resets to zero. But only the first try. At the next ones, tolerance has risen a lot, and you need like 2-3-6 months to recover the zero point magic.

This is vastly different to say, 5ht psychedelics, where the magic is never, ever lost. Just wait like one or 2 weeks and there´s plenty of it. Dissos have like two tolerances, one that is short to medium time, that you can recover. But also has that long time (mostly forever) second, paralel tolerance that never get zero again. So the 50 trips theory is half true...

Nope there is no certain number of trip limit, but as you develop tolerance and your brain becomes more used to the experience it will inevitably be less interesting and profound. I used to buy tons of pure DXM powder and eventually got to the point where 1000mg wouldn't even give me double vision anymore let alone give me a crazy trip (whereas my first dxm trip on 450mg completely blew my mind). I was using it 2-3x a week at 1000mg+ doses though plus a bunch of other drugs on the days I wasn't using dxm.

I took about a year break from it and my "tolerance" was basically back down to almost nothing. Not quite the same as when I had never done it but I doubt it's ever possible to get that back since now you know what to expect. I agree with Hexagon though. If you start using it on a regular basis again your tolerance will come back fast. I have had at least 100-150 trips on dxm and it still works for me, but I only do it a couple times a year now.

Last edited:
Nòòòoooooooooooooooo, after your 50 dose it's no good anymore take a break take some better drugs

I just made my account so I don't know if this is the right place to post this or not.
But anyway I used to do DXM on the daily, usually with other drugs but sometimes by itself. I would literally eat about 10 60mg Mucinex a day and trip my ass off everyday. Well eventually the high slowly but surely stopped being fun. It would take longer to hit or I wouldn't feel the effects as much so I took a break. It kinda helped I was put on probation so stealing boxes on the daily wasn't the best idea. Eventually, 3 or so months later, I took about 16 Mucinex (60mg pills) and two bottles of some generic robo and barely felt anything but sick. I took a break for a couple months and stuck to pot and Xanax and anything else i could get his hands on. I looked into it and found out about the so called "50 trip limit" and was very fucking sad. Well one of my close friends showed up to my house one day with a bottle of Robottusin about 5 months after my last time with the mucinex. He had two bottles of Robo and 2 liter of Sprite. We drank it all while smoking a blunt and a couple cigarettes. A few hours later i couldn't believe it, I felt that robo pretty fucking good but still not like i used to. Either way i was happy i was tripping. A month or so later i decided to buy a box of mucinex instead of stealing it cause my girlfriend wanted to try it after hearing all the amazing stories I told her. We got a 14 pack of the 60mg MucinexDM, and both took 5, which is lower than my normal dose of 10 or so, but I thought it was a good starter for my girlfriend (since I started off with 4 for my first trip), and another friend that was with us took the other 4. A couple hours later i had to leave for work, leaving my girlfriend with a close friend that I trusted to sit for her so she wouldn't do something dumb or trip out. At work I couldn't believe it, I was tripping my brains out, like hardcore tripping off of only 5. It lasted all day, and it was very noticeable to my coworkers just from my eyes cause I can act very normal no matter what I'm tripping on (most of the time). But I read that people have taken like 10 year tolerance breaks and still didn't feel anything, like the dissociative high was basically gone forever. I know I must be above the 50 trip mark by now but after only 5 months of a break i was tripping like crazy again. I haven't done it again yet cause just the thought of those giant ass pills makes me gag, but i may go again and see what happens.

Sorry if this is a hella long post or in the wrong area, but I was just curious why this happened and if the whole 50 trip and you're done thing is real although everyone says it is.
Yes, the '100 trip limit' is in fact very real.

My story:
I had ready access to ketamine, cocaine, heroin, MDMA, LSD, mushrooms, etc...
... and DXM (+weed & wine for the insanely speedy comedown) was my drug of choice for about 2 years.
I even did a looong write up for Erowid, which they never used. Still triggered something awful about that.
I know I'm not alone in having had very positive experiences with this substance.
(Stars of the Lid even mentioned it as one of the main influences for their music!)
"Glowing experiences' from Erowid.
It's considered a 'bad' or 'cheap' drug for three reasons, I think.
1) 1/3 of people may not have whatever biochemistry is needed to enjoy it?
2) People don't understand liver magic.
3.a) Many have a pre or sub-conscious bias against legal drugs and see them as 'kiddie drugs' or 'legal highs' or think 'how good can it be if it's still legal?'
3.b) Many do drugs because they're 'naughty' and do not understand the class of drugs called 'dissociative' or that you need to lay the f down and *hole*!
Doesn't much matter anymore, and this takes care of issue #3.a above, because all the cough syrups formulas that used to be widely available now include either guaifenesin (which will make you extremely ill) or acetaminophen (damages your liver and may kill you) Yes, the days of walking into the nearest grocery and legally purchasing four 8 oz bottles of Robitussin DM Maximum Strength and visiting the 4th or 5th plateau are long over, friends. You can't even buy pure dextromethorphan powder anymore like you used to be able to! And no foreign supplier will send it either (already checked!)
Too bad for you all. Not me though as...
I hit that '100 trip limit' and waited 2 years and zero holing. Just a delirious 'high.' Probably what the '1/3' I mentioned above feel no matter what. Shitty.
A real shame as you can 'hole' and experience OOBEffects for much longer than ketamine or other known dissociatives.

Hope this post was helpful for anyone that looks this topic up in the future! <3

Last edited:
Doesn't much matter anymore, and this takes care of issue #3.a above, because all the cough syrups formulas that used to be widely available now include either guaifenesin (which will make you extremely ill) or acetaminophen (damages your liver and may kill you) Yes, the days of walking into the nearest grocery and legally purchasing four 8 oz bottles of Robitussin DM Maximum Strength and visiting the 4th or 5th plateau are long over, friends. You can't even buy pure dextromethorphan powder anymore like you used to be able to! And no foreign supplier will send it either (already checked!)
Too bad for you all.

Not true. You can still get DXM freebase, no additives pills online if you're American. Not sure if I can say where even though it's from a major retailer, so I'll keep it at that. Not hard to find at all, though.

Good lord, DXM with fucking Mucinex in it? Mucinex absolutely wrecks my guts, like hurrendous stomach pain. I don't know how anyone could tolerate that. The last time I did DXM was 9 years ago or so when they still had the pure DXM bottles, you can't find those anymore around my area, but doxylamine succinate is in one of them and is safe I believe, but it's basically benedryl so the trip would be really really weird and you'd probably just pass out

Not true. You can still get DXM freebase, no additives pills online if you're American. Not sure if I can say where even though it's from a major retailer, so I'll keep it at that. Not hard to find at all, though.
Well I'll be damned you're right. When did this happen, or was I wrong all along?
Man, this + mushrooms was a very interesting combo. Hmmm....

Anyways, here's this old thing from Erowid circa...2008:
"...two lists. The first describes some of the most common ingredients found in combination with DXM in over-the-counter products, and lists possible side effects and health hazards from ingesting high doses of these ingredients. Second is a list of more than 60 non-prescription medications containing various forms of DXM."