Is texting about drugs really a bad idea?

Harley3311

Bluelighter
Someone told me never to text about drugs, but from the hundreds of millions of texts sent everyday I really find it hard to believe that you can get in any sort of trouble from a text message? I may be wrong but is this true?

depends if you have a burner (prepaid) or a contract phone.
the texts are self-incriminating though, and might be admissible in court (don't quote me on that)

either way, the risk is most likely very low unless you're running a major drug ring.

I guess this would be bad if the police are tapping your phone and messages, but if that's the case then you're probably already fucked. I text about drugs all the time, and so far nothing bad's come of it.

It is bad if the police or anyone else whom you don't want to know looks through your phone and it has drug related texts on it. If you delete them all right away it might not be as bad.

yep, wrong forum. and it's a wise idea never to use text services for drug deals, it's common sense.

ill swing this over to tobala and the guys over at legal discussion

It is bad if the police or anyone else whom you don't want to know looks through your phone and it has drug related texts on it. If you delete them all right away it might not be as bad.

this is why its bad. cops always look through phones. i actually remember one time a cop was trying to get to my contacts and i tricked him into giving it back to me. i proceeded to delete all text messages.

One of my teachers in college told us how her brother was convicted to 6 years for selling drugs. It would have only been a possesion charge but they found an incriminating text message on his phone. I would not recomend texting about dug transactions.

It's not just that, phone companies store your texts, and if you're ever investigated, you're basically fucked. It's an evidence smorgasbord for pigs.

My cousin's father suspected him of doing drugs a while back, he went to the carrier and asked for his text records, and they gave them to him from a whole year back. Now that's fuckin scary man.

I used to work for Sprint, so I can't attest for others companies, but there isn't a log of text messages saved anywhere, all that is stored is the date/time and the number of characters in the text

If you have a SIM card then there seems to be plenty logs of retrievable data and texts stored on your phone as is let alone what the phone company stores. The newer and flashier the phone the more data there is. Texts and phone conversations are just plain dodgy for any kinda "grey market" use. And let's not even get into the amount of data your ISP, Google, Microsoft et al stores on you :|

Not necessarily.

"Susan, I suspect my son Billy is using drugs. How can I tell?"
"Betty, I don't like going to that part of town because it's full of drugs and drug users."
"FWD this 2 10 of ur contacts if u dunt support drug use"

These are all examples where talking about drugs on a text message would be perfectly safe.

If you're a dealer- probably. If you're some normal person texting about drugs- probably not so bad.

Generally it's always a bad idea to have stuff about drugs written in plain english in your pocket though. You wouldn't write "Dear john doe: hey I just got some heroin, do you want to buy some?" on a piece of paper, fold it up and stick it in your pocket would you? All someone has to do is open up your phone, hit one button and boom there it it. It's even dated and timed and has list of who you sent it to. This includes cops, nosy girlfriends, anyone else you wouldn't want to see you talking about drugs.

ALSO:
This can be used for entrapment purposes.... I'm not so sure wether it's legal or not but I know it's happened more than once where I'm from. Someone will get arrested and the cops will take their phone and set up a phony deal with your dealer and arrest them, all because you didn't delete your texts. I've straight upseen cars get rushed by multiple cops in a parking lot for unexplained reasons. That's real good for your name I'm sure your dealer will be thrilled with you.

Common sense says its a bad idea
OD ==> LEGAL DISCUSSION

Yes, it's a bad idea.

Having said that, I do it all the time. I don't even bother trying to be cryptic.

SWIM is well aware the fact that if necessary, records of text conversations on cell phones CAN and WILL be procured for the pursuit of justice.

Looking through a friend's old paperwork on her bust, they had a complete log / transcript of every conversation via text messaging she'd had on her own personal cell phone (it was not pre-paid, might I add) since they'd been alerted to her alternative business enterprise.

...And, for the record, she wasn't doing major "drug ring" type business. It was more of one of those "sh*t rolling downhill" type of situations where they want to eventually bust someone of some importance. In the grand scheme of things, she was small-time.