• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Is Super Critical CO2 Oil Edible?

bigpips305

Greenlighter
I am in need of cooking up some delicious brownies. The only thing I have in my spice cabinet, is a cartridge of pure Super Critical CO2 Oil. It is one of those vapor tips that screws into a standard 510 Thread ECIG. My question, is SCCO2 Oil already Decarboxalized. If not, is it possible to add it to a standard Decarb recipe/process?

Also, does anyone have any experience or suggestions in a DIY/LifeHack capacity to remove the oil from the cartridge without breaking it?

Decarboxalation occurs upon drying and applying heat and light. Really all you would need to do is warm the oil to a temperature of about 180 and stare at it to see if it starts bubbling and the second it does remove it let it cool and repeat. Odds are some of it was done for you by the extraction process and putting it into oil. I always gently heat my extracts for cooking very lightly as dissolved in oil and light heat will allow for almost all of the THC molecules to experience the heating identically so its not as big of a deal as when you make it with plant material.

Couldnt comment on the removal though.

CO2 oil extraction uses bone dry bud prior to extraction for an easier extraction. For this reason, many will use a decarb recipe on the bud prior to extraction in order to dry it out as much as possible without actually degrading the THC. It wouldn't surprise me if your oil is completely decarbed already, but impossible to say without a test.

I'm not familiar with that cartridge but if it's made out of glass you can use gentle heat to easily force out the oil (lighter, candle, etc).

It is from Absolute Xtracts, supposedly a very good brand from word of mouth. Obviously a cold process. Wouldn't baking the brownies be hot enough if it's already in an oil.

Any professional cannabis company worth their weight will easily give you all lab results tested for the cannabinoids.

I'm surprised the THCA and THC content isn't printed on the product itself. Just call them up and ask.

I would think it largely depends on the very specific parts of the process in which it was made. I doubt it is all decarbed though.

I would try to find lab results like wolf suggested.

I would think it largely depends on the very specific parts of the process in which it was made. I doubt it is all decarbed though.

I would try to find lab results like wolf suggested.
Totally. Not many people (myself included) have extracted using CO2, so the best way to approach this would be to use the details of the cannabinoid profile hashed out on an individual basis using actual data results from the lab.

Maybe someday the federal government will stop treating it as a schedule 1 drug and force companies to put basic information like THC/THCA percentages on their legal packaging for human consumption. Someday...

AbX uses typical plastic cartridges. It is not decarbed in the cartridge. Their lab results are available on their website I believe.

Your best bet would be to take off the little blue cap underneath the black mouth piece. Then hold the cartridge upside down while the oil drains out.

When making brownies the mixture is only hot enough to partially decarb. Just because the oven is 350 doesn't mean the brownie mixture reaches that temperature, it would burn. You're probably better off decarbing the oil separately, but if that's not feasible you could put it directly into the mix. It likely will not in completely though, and 1 cartridge that's only half a gram is low dosed brownies anyway.