• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Is pure Buprenorphine rare?

Salfordio

Greenlighter
Hello, this is my first post on the forum, so I hope my formatting is okay. The reason I joined is mainly because this is one of the few sites that I found to discuss the titular drug in question. Googling for more information on the substance, I'm constantly met with stuff about Suboxone and a drug called Noloxone, which from what I can gather is given to block opiates.

Is pure bupe rarely given to patients? And if so, then why is this the case? Should I ask to switch my meds? Thanks in advance.

Hello, this is my first post on the forum, so I hope my formatting is okay. The reason I joined is mainly because this is one of the few sites that I found to discuss the titular drug in question. Googling for more information on the substance, I'm constantly met with stuff about Suboxone and a drug called Noloxone, which from what I can gather is given to block opiates.

Is pure bupe rarely given to patients? And if so, then why is this the case? Should I ask to switch my meds? Thanks in advance.

Subutex is just buperenorphine where as Suboxone has naloxone added as an anti-abuse measure. The thinking is that the naloxone will be inactive is the suboxone is taken sublingually as directed but active if it's crushed and injected....

Its arguable how effective this is since the receptor affinity of bupe means that it tends to overpower the narcan (naloxone) regardless of the route of administeration

Hope that helps....

Are you talking about buprenorphine specifically for the treatment of addiction? Depends on your doctor. Suboxone, the brand name for buprenorphine and naloxone, is more commonly scripted due to the belief by many doctors that the naloxone functions as an abuse ddeterrent. The brand name Subutex and its generics only contains buprenorphine as the active ingredient but it's not "pure," there's fillers and binders. If you've had a hard time getting on Subocone previously or you're pregnant or breastfeeding you will likely get just the buprenorphine. But where I am more doctors and clinics are starting to offer both and you can pick the one you want.

The above can only be prescribed for the treatment of addiction and I'm not including bupe for pain which comes in much smaller doses.

So it's just an anti-abuse thing? Okay, thanks, good to know. I didn't even know you could abuse bupe. I'm struggling to see the point though, unless it turns into a different beast entirely when snorted or injected. Like methadone, there is no high whatsoever from taking it regularly.

The difference in subjective high differs wildly between someone opiate nieve versus someone with a tolerance using it as substitution therapy.

Sublingually or snorted/injected isnt really going too change that significantly.

[MENTION=251037]rhun[/MENTION]

Yeah, it's prescribed for addiction. I got hooked on opiate based painkillers several years back. They didn't want to risk me going cold turkey at the time, because my epilepsy wasn't yet under control, so they gave me methadone. Was on that for several years until my other health issues where in line, then switched to Buprenorphine (no brand name on the packet). Never felt like I was under the influence from either drug. In fact, the only time I notice them is when I don't take them and start feeling like absolute arsegravy.

So it's just an anti-abuse thing? Okay, thanks, good to know. I didn't even know you could abuse bupe. I'm struggling to see the point though, unless it turns into a different beast entirely when snorted or injected. Like methadone, there is no high whatsoever from taking it regularly.

Anyone who is on bupe for the right reasons won't be able to get high on it, regardless of ROA. I consider the naloxone is Suboxone to be just a marketing thing really. If it just says buprenorphine on your bottle you're getting a Subutex generic without the naloxone.

That makes sense. So if my opiate naive Wife accidentally mistook it for an aspirin (allow me to point out that she's a lot dafter in this analogy than she is in real life) she'd be off her tits? Got you. In that case, the naloxone makes more sense. I'm assuming it would reduce the value if you were flogging your script on the side, as well as the marketing thing you suggested.

No, it's not an anti abuse thing at all. Naloxone may be the opioid antagonist / "reversing agent" / antidote, but it's in such a small dose in Suboxone, it's rendered pretty much completely inactive except when used by itself (Narcan) in larger doses against weaker opioids. Buprenorphine is extremely fucking strong and chronically underestimated by people everywhere all the time opioid!!! It's fucking strong people... it's nearly as potent as fentanyl...

It just acts in it's own rather unique way, (to an extent..) by a partial opioid agonist with a ceiling effect, (between 8 to “32” milligrams, *highly* debatable..) and antagonizes it’s own agonist activity which is what prevents most abusers of buprenorphine from getting “high” at doses over 2mg, usually because unless they've done their homework, they don't know that "less is more" to a very noticeable extent with buprenorphine containing drugs such as Subutex, Suboxone, Temgesic, Buprenex, BuTrans, etc.

Wait, wait, wait.

You get higher at lower doses? Might explain why I can't feel anything from it (was on eight, recently lowered to six)

No, it's not an anti abuse thing at all. Naloxone may be the opioid antagonist / "reversing agent" / antidote, but it's in such a small dose in Suboxone, it's rendered pretty much completely inactive except when used by itself (Narcan) in larger doses against weaker opioids. Buprenorphine is extremely fucking strong and chronically underestimated by people everywhere all the time opioid!!! It's fucking strong people... it's nearly as potent as fentanyl...

It just acts in it's own rather unique way, (to an extent..) by a partial opioid agonist with a ceiling effect, (between 8 to “32” milligrams, *highly* debatable..) and antagonizes it’s own agonist activity which is what prevents most abusers of buprenorphine from getting “high” at doses over 2mg, usually because unless they've done their homework, they don't know that "less is more" to a very noticeable extent with buprenorphine containing drugs such as Subutex, Suboxone, Temgesic, Buprenex, BuTrans, etc.

Its not an EFFECTIVE abuse detetent but that's the manufactures reason for including it...

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...ggtMAU&usg=AFQjCNH_cX1d09ti4QZNl5fjCvpN1G26sQ

So my being given it without the Naloxone is a sign of trust from the prescriber?
That's a nice thing to know, actually. Hey, I'll take my complements where I can.

You didn't feel any high from methadone either? I was on methadone for several years for pain management and used to make me high as a kite (I was on a lot though....60mg three times per day)....

Stopping it cold turkey though was a challenge to say the least :)

As tricomb said above lots of doctors give the choice....where I'm from they use subutex (just bupe) exclusively....

That makes sense. So if my opiate naive Wife accidentally mistook it for an aspirin (allow me to point out that she's a lot dafter in this analogy than she is in real life) she'd be off her tits? Got you. In that case, the naloxone makes more sense. I'm assuming it would reduce the value if you were flogging your script on the side, as well as the marketing thing you suggested.

I said the naloxone is a marketing ploy because in actuality, it doesnt actually deter abuse. Buprenorphine itself is the blocker not the naloxone. But doctors think it's the naloxone and that you can't shoot it as a result... Not true.

It's a straight up fucking lie they made up to make twice the money off the same drug (Suboxone/Subutex) and the Naloxone "is in there to prevent abuse" was just bullshit to get the FDA and doctors more likely to prescribe R&B's profit.

Big pharmaceutical companies telling lies to make money?

Never! I dont believe it! :) :) :)

"You didn't feel any high from methadone either?"

No high whatsoever. The first time I took it, they made me stay on the premises for awhile to see how I reacted. Fifty mls, little plastic cup. Surprisingly sweet. After fifteen or so minutes, they asked if I was okay to get home. I told them it hadn't kicked in yet. They said it had. From the longest time, I was convinced it was just a placebo. It's only when I stopped suddenly that I realised it wasn't. Props to anyone who can quit cold turkey, because that shit sucks hard.

I suppose I've just got a bitch of a system. For example, it takes several shots at the dentist to numb me - last visit took seven full syringes, and even then I still felt twinges of pain almost straight away - and they have to space out appointments or I won't numb at all. Back when I was a more heady teenager (I'm a boring tee totaller these days) I'd stick to speed for my all nighters as coke would hardly touch me. I'm like the world's shittest superhero.

On Edit: Oops, double post, sorry. Still learning the lay of the land.

Last edited:
I have that same problem at the dentist. Takes 5 or 6 shots sometimes....

My dentist days that its cos I'm blonde and of Scandinavian heritage and its genetic but I'm not so sure about that lol!! :)

"You didn't feel any high from methadone either?"

No high whatsoever. The first time I took it, they made me stay on the premises for awhile to see how I reacted. Fifty mls, little plastic cup. Surprisingly sweet. After fifteen or so minutes, they asked if I was okay to get home. I told them it hadn't kicked in yet. They said it had. From the longest time, I was convinced it was just a placebo. It's only when I stopped suddenly that I realised it wasn't. Props to anyone who can quit cold turkey, because that shit sucks hard.

I suppose I've just got a bitch of a system. For example, it takes several shots at the dentist to numb me - last visit took seven full syringes, and even then I still felt twinges of pain almost straight away - and they have to space out appointments or I won't numb at all. Back when I was a more heady teenager (I'm a boring tee totaller these days) I'd stick to speed for my all nighters as coke would hardly touch me. I'm like the world's shittest superhero.

This was similar to my first experience with methadone. I took 50mg waited 20 minutes, no effect, took the other 50mg, waited 20 minutes, still nothing. Became convinced I was sold some watered down shit, and then made the bright decision to buy some xanax bars. about 1 hour and 30 minutes in, that 100mg dose hit me, and nearly killed me. The first dose of methadone always takes forever to take effect for some reason.

Also, my last experiences with methadone were surprisingly worthless. A little while before I got off heroin, I was admitted into a hospital (alta bates in oakland, great fucking place if your an addict, you'll usually get treated with dignity), they gave me 70mg of methadone so that I wouldn't leave (which I was threatening to do, even though I was basically dead and couldn't walk) because I started kicking tar so bad. What was weird was that in the past, a 70mg dosage would have had me feeling really good, at least back in the day when I was in NYC and doing ECP, but for some reason, 70mg barely touched my withdrawals from the tar. I refuse to believe that it's because the dope I was doing was that great, as the bay area is notorious for its shit tar (but it was probably some of the best tar one could get in the bay), and am still curious why the methadone seemed so ineffective. I wonder if it's because tar is so crude compared to ECP and theirs more leftover alkaloids in the product that hit receptors that methadone might not? Weird experience.

Anyway, in regards to your thread, like others have said, the naloxone in suboxone is pretty much an inactive ingredient. I, and a lot of other people on this site have shot up suboxone while on maintenance with no problems concerning PW. Not only does buprenorphine have a higher binding affinity, but the Bupe/naloxone ratio is 4:1, so the naloxone really doesn't have a chance at competing. Some people are hyper sensitive to naloxone however, and find that suboxone will give them migraines whereas generic Buprenorphine SL tabs won't. I've honestly used both subutext and suboxone, IV, intranasal, sublingual, rectal (almost every roa known to mankind lol) and never noticed a remarkable difference in terms of effect. It's a common misconception that the naloxone in suboxone is what creates the blockade effect, whereas it is actually the Buprenorphine.