• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Is propylene glycol really safe to use for RC benzo solutions?

CosmicG

Bluelighter
Is Propylene Glycol really safe to injest? I have a history of pancreatitis. Things had been going better for me until I began using etizolam again in a PG solution form. The stomach pains are coming back, and I am wondering if it is not from the propylene glycol. It has been approved by the FDA as being non-toxic (like that means anything) yet has been proven to be harmful to a dogs health. There is a lot of information out there about not giving PG to your dog, but nothing about it being bad for humans to consume. I have searched this site among others and have not come up with any other people experiencing gastrointestinal issues using PG solutions, but perhaps I am just not looking in the correct places?

Does anyone have any experience with this, or thoughts on whether or not the PG solutions I have been using could be the cause of my pancreatitis flaring back up? I hadn't done a lot of research about this subject prior admittedly, but should we really be consuming something that is used in the making of anti-freeze, ecigs and the like?

Last edited:
Have you experienced the same problems with a variety of etizolam sources, or with other benzo / theino suspensions in PG?

More or less anyone who I know who uses the powder preps of these drugs us PG for volumetric dosing and I have not come across any reports of such, but In all likelihood and as far as I am aware, none of them had pancreatitis.

I'm sorry for such a rubbish answer but I know nada about PG but a fair amount about benzos, including the inconsistencies in RC products, so I'm just wondering if you have eliminated that end of things before you concentrate on the glycol?

Have you experienced the same problems with a variety of etizolam sources, or with other benzo / theino suspensions in PG?

More or less anyone who I know who uses the powder preps of these drugs us PG for volumetric dosing and I have not come across any reports of such, but In all likelihood and as far as I am aware, none of them had pancreatitis.

I'm sorry for such a rubbish answer but I know nada about PG but a fair amount about benzos, including the inconsistencies in RC products, so I'm just wondering if you have eliminated that end of things before you concentrate on the glycol?

I have used various PG solutions from lots of different vendors and never had the problem. I think I am just going to chalk this one up to me not following my pancreatitis diet strictly enough.

Thank you for the response :)

I believe I have this problem.u have gallbladder issues stemming from a bad liver(hep)...and I had used eriz or clonaz or diclaz in a of solution..and Idid have stomach issues mostly wen I stopped or ran out..I would get these horrible gas burps,then hour later be throwing up straight bile.like... literally tte worse thing I've had a go thru..
But if I kept my usage low and NOT all the time,I wud be fine.maybe a lil gas burps here and there

In the late '60s I worked in a plastics resin plant which is probably an EPA Superfund site now. PG was a component of many resins. Ethylene Glycol is a constituent of antifreeze and leaking antifreeze has been responsible for many cat and dog deaths--they like the taste for some reason hence many states require a bittering agent be mixed in. Although FDA and other sources say PG is harmless to humans in small amounts, out of curiosity what is the purpose in mixing it with RC benzodiazepines?

I just end up dropping two clonazolam pellets into a 50mL mini 40% vodka bottle and agitate vigorously.

I then dose 5mL once a day (for 9-10 months at that steady dosage now), each 5mL containing 150mg clonazolam, and drop the contents of the dosing cup into a water bottle/cup filled with water and drink the mixture.

I've had absolutely no problems with dosing accuracy or health effects from having to drink 5mL of vodka a day, and vodka is also significantly more available and cheaper than propylene glycol, which I've never even come across except in e-juices when I vaped for a couple months.

I mean it cant be good for you. Also what the fda considers small amounts and what we consider small amounts probably differs.

In the late '60s I worked in a plastics resin plant which is probably an EPA Superfund site now. PG was a component of many resins. Ethylene Glycol is a constituent of antifreeze and leaking antifreeze has been responsible for many cat and dog deaths--they like the taste for some reason hence many states require a bittering agent be mixed in. Although FDA and other sources say PG is harmless to humans in small amounts, out of curiosity what is the purpose in mixing it with RC benzodiazepines?

To keep the chemical in solution, same reason it's used in cough syrups,etc.

Sorry man but I gotta say, none of that means anything. Except that most people don't know much about chemistry or cellular biology or metabolic pathways.

Something being used in antifreeze does not make it dangerous or safe in and of itself, it makes it nothing. Antifreeze is dangerous to consume, but that would only be relevant if the question were if antifreeze is safe to consume. So called poisons can be used in medicine, harmless stuff to humans can be lethal to some animals and vice versa. When it comes to chemistry, all that matters is what the chemicals being consumed are, how they're metabolized, in what quantity, and by what route. Through that and that alone determines the danger or lack thereof. Not out of context associations. Alcohol gets you drunk if you consume enough, vodka is generally alcohol plus water, so does water get you drunk? No. But it's the same sort of association. Water is also used as a solvent and for other purposes in numerous dangerous industrial applications. It's still irrelevant.

Likewise, is propylene glycol in some antifreeze products? Yes. Does that make it harmful? No. Does that make it harmless? No. It makes it neither here nor there. Same with resins. The presence of something in a product that can be harmful to human health does not by extension make that something itself harmful to human health.

Sorry to get on your case about this, but it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

So on topic, is it harmful? From what I can find, it's actually cats it's harmful too, not dogs, or humans either. I mean, ok, yes in very high quantities it can be harmful to humans and dogs too, but so long as you're not injecting the stuff and only using small amounts it should be fine. Google for more specific safe quantities.

It's however definitely not ok for cats. Much like how we can eat chocolate and all sorts of other foods that cats and dogs shouldn't, and they can eat food we shouldn't. We have different biochemical makeup. You could also he allergic to propylene glycol and find yourself in danger from consuming it when most people wouldn't even notice. Even within the same species this variation exists. Like how some people get no analgesic or other benefit from codeine and tramadol, because their dna lacks the information it needs to express the enzyme which converts those chemicals from their inactive original form into an active form. While the rest of us react normally.

Cats can't have it because their bodies won't break it down and dispose of it in a way that is harmless to their health. It will cause damage to their red blood cells (anemia) that wouldn't happen in humans like that from equivalent exposure.

In short. I'm sure you're fine OP. By all means google more for increased reassurance but I can if nothing else promise you that it being in other, much more harmful things, or it being harmful to some other mammals, is irrelevant. It is not harmful in those ways to us. We would need to consume a fuckton more to have a problem.

I mean it cant be good for you. Also what the fda considers small amounts and what we consider small amounts probably differs.

I very much doubt it does you any good either, but that doesn't by extension mean it does you any harm. This is such a case. In reality, everything we consume is all chemistry, and generally neither good or bad in such simplistic terms, but simply interacts or doesn't interact in our bodies in some way. That may range from beneficial to irrelevant to deadly and everything in between.

No it won't do you any good, it won't do you any of anything so long as you don't go injecting it or daring a friend to see who can drink the most.

Last edited: