• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Is Oregon really a user's paradise?

tommygirl

Bluelighter
I know that in Oregon it's no longer illegal to have small amounts of recreational substances. Does that make it easier to get them? Does it have any effect on price and/or purity of stuff?

I know that in Oregon it's no longer illegal to have small amounts of recreational substances. Does that make it easier to get them? Does it have any effect on price and/or purity of stuff?
I lived in seaside on the Oregon coast and weed was everywhere and there was really really good mess going around and it was really easy to get I haven't lived very many places but from where I stand Oregon is Oregon coast is the shit

There’s a pretty active street-level drug subculture in many cities on the American west coast.

Whether it’s a “users paradise”, well, if your metric for “paradise” is simply, ease of buying certain drugs, then yeah it may be a paradise…but it depends on the kind of drug. Dirt cheap hard stimulants? Yeah, a paradise. Good psychedelic hallucinogens sold practically OTC? Paradise. Weed? Paradise. High-quality narcotic opiates? Er, maybe not paradise…although I couldn’t speak with any real authority on the state of the “scene” there, the last time I was personally in Oregon was 2016

I've heard that they are trying to roll back some of the lenient drug laws that were passed because downtown has gotten to be a mess. Everything that happens now the squares are blaming on the lax drug laws. They are blaming the entire homeless problem on drugs. Unfortunately there are some idiots ruining it for everybody. People taking shits on the sidewalks and shooting up in front of families and just being rude to the regular citizens. It sucks because they were given a great gift by the people voting to decriminalize, but they are going to ruin it with their stupid behavior and things will go back to how it was.

I live about 80 miles from Portland up in Washington and the police here are as active as ever and they are getting a lot of support. I feel a good opportunity is going to be ruined by a bunch of idiots. It's really unfortunate.

I've heard that they are trying to roll back some of the lenient drug laws that were passed because downtown has gotten to be a mess. Everything that happens now the squares are blaming on the lax drug laws. They are blaming the entire homeless problem on drugs. Unfortunately there are some idiots ruining it for everybody. People taking shits on the sidewalks and shooting up in front of families and just being rude to the regular citizens. It sucks because they were given a great gift by the people voting to decriminalize, but they are going to ruin it with their stupid behavior and things will go back to how it was.

I live about 80 miles from Portland up in Washington and the police here are as active as ever and they are getting a lot of support. I feel a good opportunity is going to be ruined by a bunch of idiots. It's really unfortunate.
I heard they are still fighting to keep it. For example keeping the drug laws, but only banning it from public view. So you can't shoot up in the street, but you can in the shadows. Some say it's going to lead to more overdose deaths because of this, but last I heard this was the angle. I really hope we don't back down on this! According to hackernews, legalization might be better than decriminalization if that's what it leads to. That's also a different angle. Overall we need to fight to end the war on addicts, putting addicts in prison and giving these sick people a record is so sad and wrong. We should be fighting for these rights and I hope Oregon stands.

It's like how it's so hard to get prescription pain meds now even if you really genuinely need them. Classic "this is why we can't have nice things".

The bureaucrats who run these programs (not the people directly involved in HR but the politicians/administrators who put implemented these changes) could fuck up a wet dream. You can’t expect changes to a system that has been in place for half a century to be completely reversed in less than ten years time. I know people have the attention span of a gnat these days and want things to be completely reversed with a snap of the fingers but that’s not how shit works.

If “nice things” (freedoms, rights, etc) are judged as having value only if no idiots and/or the mentally ill use those freedoms/rights/etc in an irresponsible or reckless way, then yeah, we won’t ever have “nice things”. Unfortunately whenever you give someone a freedom, there is always at least the possibility that they’ll use that freedom in a reckless or irresponsible way. No way to avoid that unless just say, “no freedom.” Although some basic public safety/public health standards should be enforced, and I don’t know why they’re not to be honest (ie no shitting on a public street etc)

It’s not some kind of intractable social problem, there are solutions to the problem that don’t involve simply rounding everyone up and throwing them into prison or an insane asylum

I'm a Oregon native & I live in Bend. I agree a bunch of idiots have ruined for the rest of us , housing is so expensive here and I believe that is slot of the homelessness problem here. I work 2 full time jobs and still can't afford to make it on my own. My drug of choice is more, I inject a couple times a week. I have never, ever seen ANYONE do that here right out in the open. In my experiences w The police here have been very mellow and pretty cool. They do not tolerate violence or DUI. It will be a culture shock to anyone coming from the city. Of course there are assholes everywhere we go. People here are pretty friendly, intelligent, and laidback. Its alot slower here too. And its beautiful. If u come to my state I hope you its a good experience. 🙂

Oregon has one of the best mushrooms in the Psilocybe family growing on the beach. Psilocybe Azurescens, that i understand can be found in grass patches by the ocean. I love this mushroom. I was gifted some from a friend that lived in Oregon. .5 grams freshly dried was like 3 gr of Cubensis. But I was always bummed that mushrooms were illegal and people could get arrested and they did. But now the situations changed. I can only hope we see more Psilocybe Azurescens available to people. The mushroom had a cold northern type vibe to it for me. Sort of similar to Salvia.

But other than not getting arrested for a small amount if drugs I can't see anything else. I mean for a long time NYC was like that only because LEO's did not want to bother. You could buy weed by getting buzzed into a bodega since the 80's. But Oregon got the law changed and on the books. Nice to know, but can't see it being a drug users paradise. Is there such a thing? I guess it would pertain to occassional recreational users. Heavy users would probably be just as depressed.