Is narcotics anon helpful or a waste of time?

Havocsfool

Bluelighter
Debating on wether or not to go. I'm addicted, but my addictions aren't bad compared to most. What have you're experiences been?

If you go to just part of one meeting your perspective will completely change. Go.

I think a lot of people misunderstand that it is related to God. It's really related to what you believe whatever force runs the universe even if it's electricity or something like that. Something to believe in that keeps us running.

Debating on wether or not to go. I'm addicted, but my addictions aren't bad compared to most. What have you're experiences been?

I've gone to maybe 10+ meetings when I was in a 4 month rehab and I was even more triggered to use afterwards then when I arrived. All the drug talk and shit just made me eager and made me crave. Fuck N/A. But go, everyone is different.

I've been to 9 different rehabs, 5 in South Africa 4 international. The one in Zurich where I did Ibogaine even had a member of one of the royal families of Europe there, you would never guess who and would be stunned to know but I had to sign a non-disclosure and keep quiet.

But hey, who am I to give an opinion?

I'm still hooked 8-12 different substances I use daily and this has been going om for 10+ years now.

You are what you are, or what you used to be. Idk.
Don't put yourself down JKWe are entitled to an opinion.

12-step meetings can be wildly different in different parts of the country or even different areas in the same city. Where I live, they vary. My son went to several because he was ordered by the court to do so. He hated the format, argued with much of the philosophy but would have been the first to defend the community aspect once he found one that jibed better with his values.

Whether it is triggering (craving-inducing) or not depends on the individual I think so you will discover that for yourself. But even then you have a choice to make--stay in a triggering environment and treat it as mental strengthening or acknowledge that for you it is not strengthening but undermining.

My approach to anything that helps me is not to let anyone tell me that I have to embrace an entire dogma and subculture (this is where the accusations of cult come in re AA/NA). Just trust your gut and take what is useful (and tbh the 12 steps are useful for life crises in general). People feel the need to argue with fanatics or discount everything because the fanatics talk the loudest but you are in control of your own mind--you get to decide what to use and what to gracefully refrain from using within any recovery philosophy or mental health treatment of any kind. Think for yourself but be open to applying yourself. See what works and go from there.

^Yes, and those should be avoided at all costs. Thank you for pointing that out, Tanner.