• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Is Mogadon stronger than Rohypnol?

benzoes

Greenlighter
Hey everyone.
So I've tried many of the sleep inducing pills available where I live, I suffer from severe insomnia for about 4 years now (it started when I was 22) and been on lots of medications (including the non-acting Z drugs).
As far as I heard, Halcion is the most potent sleeping pill available, unfortunately, it was banned from here in 1992.
I've been reading that Rohypnol isn't as potent as Mogadon. I am currently on 2mg Rohypnol before bed and still getting lots of night awakenings (when the medication works). I've also tried for some time 15mg of Dormicum (people say it's potent, but from my point of view it is for somebody who'd never taken benzos before), then developed a tolerance which resulted in me taking 4 15mg Dormicum pills. My doctor then switched it to 0.5 Rohypnol (half a pill), then built tolerance and now I'm on 2mg before bed.

Where I live the doctors cannot prescribe barbiturates due its death threshold even being the most effectives for sleeping.

What I've tried so far, including anxiolytics: Xanax, ProSom, Rivotril, Serax, Ativan, Dormicum, Valium, Dalmane, Lexotanil, Ambien, Imovane, Sepazon and now on Rohypnol (apart from the latter the rest isn't on chronological order).

I read that Megadon has a deeper hypnotic effect than Rohypnol - which only got a tarnished name in the US and a few other countries due to some isolated date-rape episodes that do not live up to its potency. Since the boards here do not approve meds like Restoril and Halcion, which one is the most potent: Mogadon or Rohypnol?

Wow... I would count your lucky stars (sort of, your doctor has kind of screwed you)... Very few people in the U.S. can answer this question because of the availability of either of them. You are very lucky to have a doctor that will write you apparently whatever you ask for. However, as you are beginning to learn, nightly benzo use can become a serious problem because you just keep upping your dose. Benzos can have a paradoxical effect when their duration of action comes up. This means waking up in the middle of the night and not only not being able to go to sleep but having dopamine spikes that raise your heart rate and can produce anxiety. You are so high up on the ladder that you have nowhere else to go but up on whatever medication is strongest for you.

Last edited:
Yeah sort of, he's prescribed whatever it felt stronger to "analyze" the effects, believe it or not he's a well known psychiatrist... The only thing left now is to find a stronger one.
That's why I was wondering if Mogadon (Nitrazepam) would be a deeper sleep inductor.

Personally, I'd suggest that instead of looking for stronger benzos and escalating your dose you should look into sedating meds that *aren't* benzos to supplement (maybe even decrease) your current dose. Melatonin and L-Theanine (may be available OTC or as a supplement), sedating antidepressants like Mirtazapine, small doses of antipsychotics like Seroquel or Risperdal, good old antihistamines like Diphenhydramine, Hydroxizine or Doxylamine.... believe me, escalating doses of strong GABAergics just aren't sustainable, unless you've got a personal anaesthesiologist to knock you out with Propofol every night.

Even if you had access to Halcion, guess what - that drug has such a short half-life that anyone who is dependent on and possibly addicted to benzos will wake up in the middle of the night and have to redose.

Personally, I'd suggest that instead of looking for stronger benzos and escalating your dose you should look into sedating meds that *aren't* benzos to supplement (maybe even decrease) your current dose. Melatonin and L-Theanine (may be available OTC or as a supplement), sedating antidepressants like Mirtazapine, small doses of antipsychotics like Seroquel or Risperdal, good old antihistamines like Diphenhydramine, Hydroxizine or Doxylamine.... believe me, escalating doses of strong GABAergics just aren't sustainable, unless you've got a personal anaesthesiologist to knock you out with Propofol every night.

Even if you had access to Halcion, guess what - that drug has such a short half-life that anyone who is dependent on and possibly addicted to benzos will wake up in the middle of the night and have to redose.

This is what i suggested in the other thread about this same subject, I benefit strongly from Quetiapine/Seroquel for my chronic severe insomnia, I've used benzos half my life and they simply are not effective long term sleeping pills, they lose their hypnotic effects rapidly for most people, and it's not worth getting dependent on a drug that doesn't do what you need it to be doing.

You're right... It's been downhill since first changed the medication. I became a benzo pharmacopeia
I've also tried Trazodone, Amitriptyline and 10mg Melatonin.
Never thought or discussed with my psychiatrist about Mirtazapine or so.
Haha Propofol would kill me soon (like Michael Jackson)

This is what i suggested in the other thread about this same subject, I benefit strongly from Quetiapine/Seroquel for my chronic severe insomnia, I've used benzos half my life and they simply are not effective long term sleeping pills, they lose their hypnotic effects rapidly for most people, and it's not worth getting dependent on a drug that doesn't do what you need it to be doing.

Yeah, need to discuss that with my doctor. Got sick of being a benzo head.

I know how you feel man, I've spent literally more than half my life on benzos, and it started out primarily for my debilitating insomnia.

If I could go back in time and do things differently, god knows I would. Try Quetiapine man, I like it because despite possessing antipsychotic properties, they really don't kick in until doses ABOVE what you'd be prescribed for insomnia. The first time I took seroquel it knocked me out for like 48 hours solid, no benzo could ever have done that to me (although it was after like, many straight days of partying with my GF and our friends on extremely high dose MDMA).

Rohypnol is a more effective sleeping pill than Mogys for most... but is terrible for your memory and cognitivity.

Ime Xanax Rohypnol and a strong brew.... maybe a spliffy too and im set for sleep! Not encouraging this but when your benzo gaba a is high tolerance mix in some gaba b

I know how you feel man, I've spent literally more than half my life on benzos, and it started out primarily for my debilitating insomnia.

If I could go back in time and do things differently, god knows I would. Try Quetiapine man, I like it because despite possessing antipsychotic properties, they really don't kick in until doses ABOVE what you'd be prescribed for insomnia. The first time I took seroquel it knocked me out for like 48 hours solid, no benzo could ever have done that to me (although it was after like, many straight days of partying with my GF and our friends on extremely high dose MDMA).

Hey man! Really? 48 hours straight? wow!
I'm going to the doctor next week, going to talk to him about it.
It's excruciating man, sleep deprivation affects totally in my mood, I get agitated and irritated... Wish I have never tried benzos.

Rohypnol is a more effective sleeping pill than Mogys for most... but is terrible for your memory and cognitivity.

Ime Xanax Rohypnol and a strong brew.... maybe a spliffy too and im set for sleep! Not encouraging this but when your benzo gaba a is high tolerance mix in some gaba b

You think so? Rohypnol doesn't hit me that hard. I've had more trouble with memory loss while on Dormicum instead of Rohypnol, the only problem is that Dormicum lost its potency in my body.
Xanax, if I spend some time off of it, has some effect when I take like 4mg

I know how you feel man I've been through it! Definitely recommend quetiapine, it's worked so well for me. I think it even helps some symptoms of my depression. Until you see the doctors, you might consider adding in an anti-histamine like diphenhydramine even if its just 25-50mg. Might help in combination with your current benzo regimen.

I know how you feel man I've been through it! Definitely recommend quetiapine, it's worked so well for me. I think it even helps some symptoms of my depression. Until you see the doctors, you might consider adding in an anti-histamine like diphenhydramine even if its just 25-50mg. Might help in combination with your current benzo regimen.

Hey man!
Yeah I will discuss about quetiapine with my psychiatrist... I have Dramamine PM here, going to mix it with Rohypnol

What's peoples opinion on temazepam? I saw someone on it switched to clonazapam then having sleep issues. Curious about peoples opinion on the secon too.....

Either way I agree a non-benzo and even non pharmaceutical methods would be best. Chamomile and skullcap are two herbs with activity similar to benzos, but natural and mild. They may be useful if you ever decide to ween and quit benzos.

What's peoples opinion on temazepam? I saw someone on it switched to clonazapam then having sleep issues. Curious about peoples opinion on the secon too.....

Either way I agree a non-benzo and even non pharmaceutical methods would be best. Chamomile and skullcap are two herbs with activity similar to benzos, but natural and mild. They may be useful if you ever decide to ween and quit benzos.

Temazepam is probably the best benzo sleep aid i have had. Unfortunately i like it so much i often stay up on it instead of going to sleep. It's the only benzo i have tried (including ampules of Valium made for IM/IV use which i IVed and vials of Lorazepam which i also IVed) that had any real euphoria to them and found psychologically addictive at all. But if you can use them just for sleep they do work assuming your tolerance isn't too high. You will become tolerant to it just like any other benzo though.

To the OP: I would say maybe ry drugs other then Benzos or Z hypnotics. Mirtazapine in low doses (15mg's or under) is very sedating so that's a option. Certain Tricyclic anti-depressants such as Trimipramine, Amitriptyline and Doxepin to name a few also work great for sleep. I was taking Amitriptyline for maybe 2 years and until it crapped out on me it worked great as a sleep aid. Trimipramine is even more sedating for most people although i didn't find it anymore sedating then Amitriptyline. I have not tried Doxepin but i have heard it's way more sedating then Amitriptyline.

Certain sedating anti-Histamines such as Promethazine, Hydroxyzine and Doxylamine just to name a few are definitely worth a shot as well. Some anti-psychotics such as low dose Quetiapine work well for some people but even low dose Quetiapine can cause side effects such as weight gain. Methotrimeprazine aka Levomepromazine (trade name Nozinan) is a low potency typical anti-psychotic that is often used for sleep as it's too sedating to use as a anti-psychotic. Just 10-15mg's is usually enough to knock me out solid and the anti-psychotic dose is usually 100mg's or more so i don't know how there hell anyone on it for Schizophrenia can stay awake on it. The stuff is so sedating it makes Quetiapine and Chlorpromazine aka Largactil aka Thorazine look like a Amphetamine by comparison.

OP:

IMO while those two are the strongest sedative hypnotics, flunitrazepam is better. It has a faster and more reliable onset (can take like 2-3 hours with nitrazepam), and the effects are very similar, only slightly stronger. Both also accumulate leading to possible next-day grogginess. Flunitrazepam, finally, is more amnesic, more prone to blackout bumdfuckery, and more recreational.

Temazepam is, for me, a middle-tier hypnotic. Once tolerance builds it is virtually useless; for the first few nights it's okay. I find it highly overrated. It has a suitable onset and duration though. Clonazepam is useless as a hypnotic for me.

Methotrimeprazine aka Levomepromazine (trade name Nozinan) is a low potency typical anti-psychotic that is often used for sleep as it's too sedating to use as a anti-psychotic. Just 10-15mg's is usually enough to knock me out solid and the anti-psychotic dose is usually 100mg's or more so i don't know how there hell anyone on it for Schizophrenia can stay awake on it. The stuff is so sedating it makes Quetiapine and Chlorpromazine aka Largactil aka Thorazine look like a Amphetamine by comparison.

My nuclear option. Works every time, I take like 5mg and am not sensitive to most drugs.

Everyone reacts to them differently. I'm pretty resistant to sedatives at the best of times, but mogadon did practically nothing for me. Rohypnol put me to sleep, but made me really groggy in the morning. My pharmacist was also really anxious about prescribing it to me and would interrogate me about how much I was taking every time I filled my script, which was annoying.

My dad tried mogadon once, though, and literally fell asleep before he made it to the bed. He woke up in the morning on his knees on the floor, with his head and shoulders resting on the bed.