• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Is modern cannabis a true hallucinogen?

Michaelritchie30

Greenlighter
Irregardless of what people say I believe that cannabis is stronger than ever before. I've had many cannabis trips: One I remember well was a time I smoked some type of medical marijuana and ended up having nightmare hallucinations and synesthesia like you'd get from LSD. Another time I had a bad experience that was akin to a bad 2nd plateau dxm trip. In your opinion, would you say modern cannabis could actually be classified as a true hallucinogen? Would you say cannabis is more like a psychedelic, a deliriant, or a dissociative?

I consider cannabis to be psychedelic.
Especially when ingested...

I agree with spacejunk, orally ingesting cannabis tends to be more psychedelic than smoking does, so it most definitely has properties of a hallucinogen, but i would not personally classify it as such.

I've had one or two occasions where cannabis has given me amazing hallucinations - and along with the heightened senses, the trippy headspace and the way people use it - to me cannabis fits under the category for me personally regardless of how other people classify such things.

I once looked out my bedroom through some fronds of a tree fern growing outside my teenage bedroom's window.
For a minute or two, the shapes the patterns of fern leaves formed a series of different pictures, which kept merging smoothly into the next one. They were intricate and amazing distortions, and i'm sure i've had similar experiences other times - but have certainly had auditory and visualisations on edibles.
To me it ticks most of the boxes of what i consider to be psychedelic. Getting high can be very trippy!

Yeah it has Hallucinogenic properties but I wouldn't classify it a hallucinogen.

Id classify it as a gift from (insert diety) lol

I've always considered cannabis to be a psychedelic, not just modern cannabis. Cannabis is a unique plant, because it offers a lot of the effects of more powerful psychedelics in milder form more suited to frequent usage. It's definitely a psychedelic/hallucinogen, it just isn't as powerful as psilocybin mushrooms and the like. But that doesn't make it less valuable, its value lies in that it can be used frequently, to put one in a psychedelic headspace but without causing a full blown trip and without causing too much visual distortion which can help one focus inward. Not that one cant have powerful trips on cannabis, ive tripped hard on edibles before as well as had strong experiences smoking.

Definitely a psychedelic and stimulant. I find that some people explain strong hallucinations from cannabis use but I think this is due (mostly) to the soaking of dope in PCP which was common during the 60's through to the 90's. I have had many psychedelic experiences with cannabis alone if it's the right strain. Usually Kwazulu or others close to pure sativa stains. The effects are visual but nothing like LSD. Much mire subtle but also powerful!

Cannabis can be psychedelic, no doubt about it, especially edibles can kick your ass BIG time, people tend to underestimate it.

When smoked I don't see it as a psychedelic. Eating it is a different story! Oh boy. I've ate it once and I am still scared to do that again. I've never had hallucinations from smoking, and I consider myself an experienced user. I smoked a couple grams in a bowl once, and then another couple of grams instantly afterwards, and just passed out. Was trippy as fuck. It feels more like a body experience than it does a hallucinogen though. Really hard to explain.

I've never done hallucinogens. Friends tell me mushrooms are a whole different level and they have been smoking weed a lot longer than I.

When ingested orally, as others have said, yes. I'd classify it as a hallucinogen.

It has some psychedelic properties when smoked (distorted sense of time, heightened appreciation of certain stimuli, etc.) but I wouldn't classify smoked weed as a "hallucinogen", necessarily...the good thing about weed is that it's whatever I want it to be, really...when I want to relax it relaxes me, yet other times (and with other strains) it has a desirable stimulant effect.

Yes cannabis is a psychedelic. Even the not so modern types or what we would call mids or schwag can be psychedelic if you have no tolerance, smoke enough, or eat it in prepared food.

A true hallucinogen always gives you closed-eye and opened-eye visions. When I overdose on hash, I see some unstoppable visions and they get intense when I listen to "Dark Psytrance" music.

Te only hallucinogations I've ever had from any real (I'm a medicinal marijuana patient in my state) or synthetic cannibinoid( K2, spice, legal herb whatever you want to call it) would be off of synthetic marijuana. Smoked about a gram when I was younger with my friends and had music and shapes and colors hit me as I had my eyes closed just laying down. Now granted I was extremely high and not sure if this was hallucinations or what. Personally real lovely cannabis to me as I can smoke any amount I want and feel only the medicinal effects from it( relaxation, stomach pain relief, Indegestion relief, and helps with insomnia) though I stay medicated from cannabis all day so it may have different effects from me to you. Happy tokin!:)

Cannabis can be pretty strong but I don't think it's ever been as strong for me as LSD or DXM. Weed can be pretty trippy, especially when ingested, but it's effects never feel full on psychedelic to me. Although I'd say when I was new to cannabis, it's effects were a lot stronger. The more often you smoke, the less trippy the experience becomes for sure.

I wouldn't be able to tell.

i look at the bud I smoke and it's fucking beautiful, smells dank smokes good. it is clearly better than the stuff I used to get and everyone else gets blasted.

i fried my tolerance fucking with synthetic noids though, oh well.

i'd say cannabis is certainly psychedelic but hallucinogen implies hallucinations which I don't get.

there's drugs that change where I'm at in one way, and drugs that do it in another.

the first one, I'll call it "altered state" drugs:
weed
psychedelics
dissociatives
MDMA when I first tried
nitrous

the second, "hard" drugs:
painkillers
stimulants
benzos
alcohol
ghb etc.

I guess the key characteristic is the first group of drugs are not pleasurable in and of themselves, the second it doesn't matter when or where you are they always hit the spot.

Yes... Oral is so much more psychedelic/potent because of 11-OH-THC being formed which is longer lasting/potent stuff...

Yea it's like 12 times more psychoactive when ingested orally. Some people can't stand the intensity but I think it's amazing